• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Petition: Opposing MEGA

Chrisb

Dr. David Smith, who has run a NHS clinic for over 25 years, warns: ”You should almost totally avoid using a computer or reading books.”

I am sure there must be many Dr David Smiths working for the NHS but could that by any chance be the David G Smith who was adviser to the MEA, before CS, until about 1990?

batteredoldbook

“Crawley believes that CFS is a biological illness and that online CBT can be used to alter the young person’s biology.”

A rather important point. Worthy of tweeting/sharing on media. Biology is no roadblock to using the BPS solution.
Even rigorous science will not be enough to dissuade this group and they have the blessings of official policy behind
This can't be said often enough--nobody disputes a biological aetiology. It's about what happens when the person doesn't (refuses in BPS terms) to get well.

Hard for BPS researchers to now claim they believe CFS is a biological illness having written:

"According to this model, the symptoms and disability
of CFS/ME are perpetuated predominantly by unhelpful
illness beliefs (fears) and coping behaviours (avoidance)."
-
Manual for Therapists - CBT for CFS/ME - PACE.
Burgess/Chalder.

Yes, UK BPS folk conceded CFS *might* have a biological trigger, but the whole point of the BPS "hit and run" analogy was to play right down the importance of investigating an *ongoing* biological cause.
--------------------
Too often we see "CBT" left undefined in BPS discussion. Blanket statements such as "CBT is safe" are wrong. The safety of CBT is dependent on the cognitions the specific therapy has been designed to challenge.

As to CBT having an effect on biology, well, yeah, but it doesn't necessarily follow that said effect will be beneficial.

--------------------

I am glad to see mention of PEM in FITNET and talk of the need for biological research within MEGA... the trouble is that I simply don't have confidence in these researchers. The reason? - Because they won't address the methodological flaws in pace.

You surely mean "Dame Crawleys Fatigue Syndrome", as she'll surely be rewarded for her valuable services to the advancement of medical science, especially her bravery in the face of unreasonable opposition. /s

Baroness Crawley of La La Land...:alien:

Sorry, not a helpful comment. Couldn't resist.

I feel sick and my muscles feel like they are shaking with exhaustion, only they're not actually shaking 'cos they've run out of energy. (So of course it's all in my mind).:ill:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
One the one hand the 2,500 who signed the MEGA petition will be portrayed as an endorsement by ME patients, whilst on the other the 2,384 (so far) who signed OMEGA will be portrayed as a vociferous and militant minority. Fortunately for EC and the BPS crowd, the logic of their belief system permits this (as it also also allows them to define the same people as both ill and recovered), and the rest of the world doesn't seem to notice or care.

Jo Best

Last edited: