• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Personality Features and Personality Disorders in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Populat

Dolphin

I just watched the video link you posted,
Maybe some other people know what you are talking about but I'm afraid I'm confused - what video is it? If you post a link, that'd help us and/or tell us which message in the thread you're replying to.

I am sorry. I also have ADHD, both types. I didn't notice it was Muffin's post on Sept. 15, 2009, at approximately 0500, to which I was replying- believe it's on page 23 of this blog. I don't know how to cut and paste, but it's a youTube video about XMRV. Maybe you could post it in response to my reply? Many Thanks. CFScandy

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I know, it's so frustrating. Sometimes, I fantasise:

--- fantasy fades......

Well, it makes me feel better.

The whole of idea of scientific publication is built around Peer Review, where your work is scrutinised by your peers before it is accepted for publication. In many fields this can be a bloody process, with researchers trying to undermine their rival's papers with hostile reviews. But the results is fierce scrutiny and better quality work. In the field of ME/CFS, peer review seems to be no more than a slap on the back from your mates.

The reality is that nothing will change and research like this will continue to be published. It makes me want to weep.

Thanks for that headmaster scene!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Check out this: http://brainblogger.com/2010/10/22/the-personality-of-chronic-fatigue
A psychology blogger blogged on the article, got lots of comments, and became convinced that there was more to the ME/CFS story than had known. Said the comments were educating. Not sure if these cover much ground that hasn't been gone over. Bogus inclusion criteria, inappropriate surveys for use in diseased population, comparing sick people to well instead of other sick people, publishing with a particular disease name, wasting resources by not studying important things. Oh, and wasting others' resources because they have to spend time on contradicting bad studies instead of studying important things.

Dolphin

Check out this: http://brainblogger.com/2010/10/22/the-personality-of-chronic-fatigue
A psychology blogger blogged on the article, got lots of comments, and became convinced that there was more to the ME/CFS story than had known. Said the comments were educating. Not sure if these cover much ground that hasn't been gone over. Bogus inclusion criteria, inappropriate surveys for use in diseased population, comparing sick people to well instead of other sick people, publishing with a particular disease name, wasting resources by not studying important things. Oh, and wasting others' resources because they have to spend time on contradicting bad studies instead of studying important things.
Thanks for highlighting that and summarising it. I might read another time. Might be useful for anybody thinking of replying (I'm still working on a full article (on something else ME/CFS-related) that is taking longer than planned (letters are much less work!) and I have another draft letter on another topic to look at).

One tit-bit I notice immediately: The Editor of the site brainblogger.com (not the author of the blog article), Shaheen E Lakhan, is the lead author for the review paper, http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?8092-Gut-Inflammation-In-CFS

Thanks to anyone who replied.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
That's interesting; I hadn't noticed that the editor had written that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I wasn't sure how to take that paper because it talked about good theory of gut and other pathology, but I felt it gave an inordinately strong role to psychological disturbance.

I wrote a lot of comments on the brain blogger page. If Fedup was from here, good job. "What are you going to do about it?" was a good question.

Dolphin

I wasn't sure how to take that paper because it talked about good theory of gut and other pathology, but I felt it gave an inordinately strong role to psychological disturbance.
I must be reading too much psychobabble these days as I didn't recall it when I had finished.

Xandoff

Michael
Did any one catch the term "unexplained unwellness "? 294 people with unexplained unwellness were used. It's unbelievably unintelligent.

Bill Reeves is desperate. Maybe he should meet up with Uma Thurmond? aka *ill Bill

Dolphin

The UK Metro newspaper (could also be in other Metro editions).
Page 27, 9th November, 2010

Tired and Tested:
The cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or ME, is unknown. However, it is more prevalent in people with a skewed personality disorder. In tests, 29 per cent of ME sufferers had at least one mental disorder, such as paranoia, compared with just seven per cent of physically well people. The US study appeared in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.

This paper references a paper Wessely co-authored which has results showing that personality features were not predictive of CFS. You can get the whole thing here:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c6/01/47/68/HarveyPriorpsychandCFS.pdf

It reads like they were hoping to replicate the Kato results on emotional instability and chronic fatigue (not syndrome), but didn't. By some measures of neuroticism, neurotic people were less likely to get CFS than non-neurotic people. The more I look in to the details of these studies, the more they all seem like pointless white noise. The faith they have in these questionnaires is just peculiar.

This paper references a paper Wessely co-authored which has results showing that personality features were not predictive of CFS. You can get the whole thing here:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c6/01/47/68/HarveyPriorpsychandCFS.pdf

It reads like they were hoping to replicate the Kato results on emotional instability and chronic fatigue (not syndrome), but didn't. By some measures of neuroticism, neurotic people were less likely to get CFS than non-neurotic people. The more I look in to the details of these studies, the more they all seem like pointless white noise. The faith they have in these questionnaires is just peculiar.

They don't really have faith in those studies - they are just a way of spinning out the useless psycho research and psycho-spin.

Wessely and the gang don't "do" science or medicine, they don't "do" holism. What they "do" is manipulation of language - spin and double speak - they don't take their 'research' seriously - so why should we?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
How this study was reviewed in one article kind of made me nuts - the headline was "CFS associated with personality disorders" - but 71% of the sample didn't have a personality disorder. That kind of suggested to me that they were barking up the wrong tree. If I was serious about CFS - this would be the last study I would do on personality disorders.

One person (not sure they want to be named?) has sent me a PM to say they found the PDQ-4.
Also the scoring (so one can see what one score oneself if one wants).
This should help people, particularly novices like myself, to get a grip a bit more on the area of personality disorders:

http://www.cure-international.org/PDQ4Test.html

http://www.cure-international.org/f/PDQ-4_Questionnaire.pdf (105KB)

http://www.cure-international.org/f/PDQ_Excel_Self-Scoring_Sheet.xls (23KB)

As one can see, the files are quite small.

These links are now down. I said we should save them... but now can't find them on my hard-drive. I've got print outs, so don't need digital copies, but hopefully someone has them somewhere. Might be worth putting in the library?

How this study was reviewed in one article kind of made me nuts - the headline was "CFS associated with personality disorders"

Given how the study was designed and presented, this sort of coverage is utterly unsurprising. The people behind this study don't seem terribly concerned about how their work might affect patients. Wankers imo.

Nielk

I think we should devise a study that will show the personality disorders among the "experts" who concocted
these skewed studies to begin with.

Where would they show up on the personality scale? I would tend to think that they have major problems to
be wasting their time on such rubbish.