• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Perrin Technique on DVD

Sunday

Yes, thanks Tom, and I appreciate the clarification. I know some people who do cranialsacral work, maybe it'd make more sense to try working with them. (Sorry for the delayed reply, but I've been crashy lately.)

ariel

This looks very interesting, and makes sense as one of the contributing factors to CFS.
My back looks exactly like some of of these people's. All flat and without proper curvature from the mid-back up. I have one leg significantly shorter than the other which partly causes this.
I think I'm going to get my cranio-sacral osteo to take a look. Though I did notice that the DVDs available are the wrong region code - I'm in Australia.

JAS

Hi Tom, I used the Perrin Technique too which I did find most helpful..you feel pretty awful after the first couple of sessions but after 4 or 5 weeks I did start to improve. They believe that they can actually give you a physical diagnosis of ME from the blockages in the Lymphatic system and were trying to get this recognised with a couple of London Hospitals I believe at the time I went. They can actually tell your well being from the cranial sacral massage, the 'pulse' of the brain is usually very sluggish in people with ME. I am too from Lincolnshire (north) and went to Castleford but unfortunately the oesteopath who practised it there has moved away. I stopped going originally though as I went on the Energy Excellence Course down in Wales (I was on a mission to get well!),..with that though the practitioner did say to stop all other therapy which I did...rightly or wrongly. The Energy Excellence Course has helped too but I it has come back, also my 12 year old daughter is now showing signs of a fatigue type illness (all a little worrying) and I would like to know what a Perrin Practitioner thinks, please could you let me know who you see. Thank you jx

ariel

Thanks Susan, I think I'm going to ask my Cranio person to take a look at it as soon as poss. I've crashed recently, so haven't had the chance to do anything at all. Soon though...

I had periodontal maintenance cleaning 10 days before Xmas. I ended up with chest wall pain (costochondritis ) two days later. (For the previous dental works I usually was asked to take 4 tablets Amoxi l one hour before the appointment. A couple years ago they changed the rule no longer required patients with heart murmur to take it. And the last time I took it hurt my digestive system. So this time I went without it).

I thought I caught some virus so I waited a week to see my PCP. Since I only had chill and pain withou fever my PCP said I was fine. But the pain getting worse and worse and I found myself holding a blanket for the entire Xmas holiday. I finally treated myself using some left over Amoxi l from the previous dental appointment. It took four days to feel completely better. At the 10th day some soreness came back on one of the spot on left chest wall. I told my PC. He thought I already took anti biotic and still didn’t get better then it must be virus infection. But my gut feeling told me I had bacterial infection from dental work and Amoxil helped to resolve it. AS for the soreness spot must be the lymphatic blockage. I started to use Perrin Technique I saw on the online video and on the book ( I bought the book from Amazon) . The soreness had cleared up now. Tom from Scotland, if you are reading this I want you know I appreciate you posted your story here. The Perrin Technique so far had help me cleared two soreness spots on chest (the other spot on right chest had been sore for half year). And the self- massage routine it uses ( head, facial, nasal) have helped for my sleep. I believe it help to drain brain fog down to the place where the body can carry out the toxin.

(This message have been posted on other thread. i re-posted here just let Tom know I appreciate it.)

aquariusgirl

Can't find VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS of the TECHNIQUE online?
Am I missing something? I've been to perrins' website, watched his stuff on youtube, and I STILL can't find any guidance as to the actual exercises?
I am in the US, so don't think his DVDs would work here.
Pls advise.

Luke

ooph
As far as I'm aware the instructions for the self administerred part of the technique can only be found in the book.

aquariusgirl

yeah, i think some of the comments on the beginning of this thread were misleading
luke: are u doing the exercises or getting the txt from an osteopath and does it help?

Luke

ooph
luke: are u doing the exercises or getting the txt from an osteopath and does it help?

I'm doing the technique with an osteopath who I've seen once a week for twelve weeks and am about to drop down to once a fortnight for the next twentyfour weeks. I also do the various exercises and hot and cold thoracic spine compresses three times a day.

It's definately having a strong positive effect in some areas and maybe just making me feel quite different in others. My sleep is much improved in timing, length and quality and times of day feel much more like they should do (if that makes sense). I feel much less wired and emotional lability seems greatly improved.

I'm finding my muscles are spontaneously relaxing when I lie down which is very unusual, I'm usually permamently tense. I'm not sure if I have more energy or not. I think I probably do but it's being used up by doing the exercises and faffing about with the compresses. I do also just feel different in a way I just can't quite put my finger on.

The Osteopath estimated it would take me 2 to 3 years (Perrin's produced a chart based on symtom severity and duration of illness) so it's early days. I seem to be a good candidate as I've had longstanding difficulties with my thoracic spine, a fractured skull and a twiice broken nose all of which would apparantly effect csf drainage.

Luke

ooph
Hmmm.. I'm not sure, I think the back one is much bigger than neccesary and the technique focusses on the thoracic spine rather than the neck. Also as the sequence is 3mins cold, 1min hot, 1min cold, 1min hot, 1min cold, 3mins hot, you need to be able to change over quickly so the harness would be a bit awkward .

I use two rectangular gel packs (280 x 130mm) side by side as they match the size of the hot water bottle I'm using for the hot part. I put then on a towel on the floor and lie on them alternately.

Have you got the book? It's probably worth it if you were thinking of trying it out. I'm happy to discuss how my osteo recommends doing things but I don't think I've got the stamina to post the exercises in detail (typings pretty tricky for me).

aquariusgirl

no, i haven;t got the book. I was reading sample pages on amazon last night cos I buy the theory, don't wanna read about it, just wanndo the exercises which seem pretty straightforward.
you make a good point about the timing. hmm.

Luke

ooph
Aha, I misunderstood you then, I thought you couldn't find the exercises, good luck with it all.

Tom

windows exterminator
Have you got the description of the exercises,slow gentle spinal twists, dry combing of your head, and nasal release breathing??
If not I can type out a descripton.

Tom