• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Per Fink and Schroeder criticize the IOM report, Clayton responds

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
From the JAMA "To The Editor" section:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2382974

Glad to see Dr. Clayton is still on the case!

jlr150046.pdf.gif

A.B.

The new diagnostic proposal does not answer the question the important question of whether patients who have multisymptomatic ME/CFS have the same illness as patients with few symptoms.

Yea it doesn't, but neither does babbling around a bit then claiming that it's all the same.

And we don't need just need more research, but biomedical research because that can actually provide answers based on objective reality unlike psych research which is just well dressed opinion.

jimells

I found Dr Clayton's reference to the DSM to be rather amusing. I certainly appreciate that she is pointing out the hypocrisy of the psychobabblers' demand that the SEID criteria meets a standard we seldom see in the DSM.

At the same time, the DSM is such a low-quality document that I wouldn't want my shiny new million-dollar criteria associated with it in any way.

I'm not at all impressed with Dr Clayton's claim that they listened to patients, advocates, clinicians, and researchers who clearly want the industry to use the Canadian criteria or a variation thereof. If they were really listening, then they must need new hearing aids.