• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pathogens Hijack Host Cell Metabolism: Intracellular Infection as a Driver of the Warburg Effect in Cancer and Other Chronic Inflammatory Conditions

Violeta

Has anyone looked at this paper yet? I don't see ME/CFS mentioned in the abstract but Amy does mention that it does apply to ME/CFS in the link on her Twitter account.

https://ij.hapres.com/htmls/IJ_1341_Detail.html
Amy D. Proal 1, Michael B. VanElzakker

Last, we examine further trends associated with infection and host cell metabolism, including how pathogen-driven hijacking of host cell lipid metabolism can support viral, bacterial, and parasite survival and replication.

msf

Thanks a lot for posting this, it makes a whole lot of sense given my own experience and that of many other people with ME. The feedforward effect seems of particular note in terms of how ME persists over decades. The diet section also is of great help in explaining why many people do better on low carb diets.

Violeta

Thanks a lot for posting this, it makes a whole lot of sense given my own experience and that of many other people with ME. The feedforward effect seems of particular note in terms of how ME persists over decades. The diet section also is of great help in explaining why many people do better on low carb diets.

It's such a long report! Intracellular pathogens....what to do about them.

Some people do have good results with a low carb diet. I have tried it many times but feel just terrible, lose too much weight, can't sleep, and get lightning bolt cramps in my legs in the middle of the night.

I am wondering if thiamine corrects Warburg type metabolism. Dr Lonsdale has one article about thiamine and the Warburg effect, but it doesn't specifically say that thiamine corrects it.

Pyrrhus

Pathogens Hijack Host Cell Metabolism: Intracellular Infection as a Driver of the Warburg Effect in Cancer and Other Chronic Inflammatory Conditions
https://ij.hapres.com/htmls/IJ_1341_Detail.html
(from the minds at the PolyBio Research Initiative)
Proal and Van Elzakker 2021 said:
The Warburg effect refers to a metabolic state in which cells preferentially use aerobic glycolysis rather than oxidative phosphorylation to generate ATP and macromolecules.

A number of chronic inflammatory conditions are characterized by host cells that adopt a sustained, pathological Warburg-like metabolism. In cancer, previously healthy cells shift into a Warburg state centered on rapid energy production and increased cell proliferation that drives tumor formation. Macrophage in atherosclerotic plaque and in sarcoidosis granuloma can also harbor a Warburg-like phenotype that promotes an inflammatory milieu.

The question of why host cells in patients with cancer and other chronic inflammatory conditions adapt a pathological Warburg-like metabolism is a matter of debate. This review/hypothesis piece explores how intracellular infection can contribute to this Warburg metabolism or related pathological metabolic states. We detail molecular mechanisms by which viral, bacterial, and protozoan intracellular pathogens can induce, or contribute to, a Warburg-like metabolism in infected host cells in order to meet their own replication and nutritional needs.

We also discuss how host defense towards infection may impact cellular metabolic changes. We then provide examples of how many of these same intracellular pathogens have been identified in tumors, atherosclerotic lesions, granuloma, and other tissues containing cells with a Warburg or altered metabolism. Last, we examine further trends associated with infection and host cell metabolism, including how pathogen-driven hijacking of host cell lipid metabolism can support viral, bacterial, and parasite survival and replication.
(spacing added for readability)

Related discussion:
Organic Acid Test (OAT) results – do we ALL show the Warburg effect?
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ults-do-we-all-show-the-warburg-effect.80662/