• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paradoxical effect after methylfolate and B12

Methyl90

It seems that after using methylfolate and B12 I am undergoing a state of hypomethylation ... mostly I have lost muscle mass. It's normal ? Could taking TMG or Sam-e help if B12 and folate deficiencies have been restored?

LINE

Pathways can be tricky, hacking is the way to go. By this I mean you have to find the missing link. I usually start with the vitamin co-factors then specific minerals and by specific aminos. I would look at the other b vitamins since tipping the scale with specific ones (folate, B12) can cause suppression of the other b vits.

Everyone is individual so you never know what you get but I like B2 and B6 but never neglect the others. Muscle loss is usually a catabolic reaction where the body is using the proteins from muscle to keep the machine going. There is a pathway called the alanine cycle that explains this, but this may not explain it either.

Methyl90

Pathways can be tricky, hacking is the way to go. By this I mean you have to find the missing link. I usually start with the vitamin co-factors then specific minerals and by specific aminos. I would look at the other b vitamins since tipping the scale with specific ones (folate, B12) can cause suppression of the other b vits.

Everyone is individual so you never know what you get but I like B2 and B6 but never neglect the others. Muscle loss is usually a catabolic reaction where the body is using the proteins from muscle to keep the machine going. There is a pathway called the alanine cycle that explains this, but this may not explain it either.

What do you think if you initially only increased animal protein?

Methyl90

Are you getting enough choline ?
Low choline intake can cause muscle loss.

On some days I have negative neurological effects from too much dietary choline ... I don't think that's the missing link. If glucose metabolism is impaired, acetylcholine will not be produced on a regular basis, so using vitamins, minerals and cofactors could only worsen general homeostasis.

Methyl90

In the morning at the points of attachment of the bones I hear noises but without pain ... what can it be related to?