• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain in joints, also apparent popping/cracking and possible movement?

Hi all,

I'm not totally sure if this is in the right section of the site, if not then I apologise.

Essentially, I've noticed more and more than I am getting pain in my joints. This often seems to be accompanied by a sensation of 'movement', like the joint is somehow moving sideways. The other things that seems to come with the above is a popping/cracking sort of noise.

I've had this for a long time in my left ankle, for as long as I can remember essentially - however, since developing M.E. I've noticed it seems to be appearing elsewhere - my toes, right ankle, left hip, ribs, and most recently my right shoulder and neck seem to be particularly bad for it.

The neck and shoulder pain seems to be accompanied by headaches and dizziness when it flares, although this may be a coincidence.

My gp is at a bit of a loss over it, rather understandably - more so as the xrays I previously had on my left ankle showed nothing of concern.

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated. Once again I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

Robinson102

ljimbo423

Essentially, I've noticed more and more than I am getting pain in my joints. This often seems to be accompanied by a sensation of 'movement', like the joint is somehow moving sideways. The other things that seems to come with the above is a popping/cracking sort of noise.

I've had this for a long time in my left ankle, for as long as I can remember essentially - however, since developing M.E. I've noticed it seems to be appearing elsewhere - my toes, right ankle, left hip, ribs, and most recently my right shoulder and neck seem to be particularly bad for it.

I get pain, popping and cracking in many or most of my joints. The pain I think is a fibromyagia type pain.

The popping and cracking I think are from weak collagen in my joints, allowing my joints to slip out of place quite often. Which causes popping and cracking.

Rufous McKinney

The popping and cracking I think are from weak collagen in my joints, allowing my joints to slip out of place quite often. Which causes popping and cracking

Thats pretty likely whats going on, with some ligaments probably weakning as well.

In chinese traditional medicine, "wind" exists. Energetic wind. So thats: blowing out of my neck vertebrae at the present time. I continue a diet to reduce "wind". How to strengthen collagen: important.

ebethc

Thats pretty likely whats going on, with some ligaments probably weakning as well.

In chinese traditional medicine, "wind" exists. Energetic wind. So thats: blowing out of my neck vertebrae at the present time. I continue a diet to reduce "wind". How to strengthen collagen: important.

what's the wind reducing diet?

ps I'm familiar w TCM, and I know that CFS is considered a "damp" problem

ebethc

I have the same joint problems (life-long)... It's like EDS except the opposite :) Constant joint pain and stiffness (too tight instead of too loose, although I'm not an expert on EDS)... My spine and neck can get really stiff, too. When I'm not stiff, I feel so much better in general..

I use a foam roller, which seems to help, especially working on the ITB (ilio-tibial band, which runs on the outside of the thigh... see youtube videos for the proper technique). If you only have the energy to do 5-10 minutes of exercise, I recommend trying foam roller on the ITB before bed... I sleep better and wake up less stiff.

Also, I got the soft foam roller on AMZN; the regular ones are like rocks to me... way too hard! this is the one I use (except I use the longer one, but the shorter, cheaper one will do the job)

https://www.amazon.com/OPTP-Pro-Roller-Soft-Density-Roller/dp/B00KQVV9DU

Rufous McKinney

Tibetan Wind diet: not Vegan.

I did it really intensely for about four months. Most weird stuff joint wise dramatically improved. Now: I mostly continue to do heavy Bone Broth (lamb, beef), limit uncooked foods mostly to earlier in the day.

I got really sick eating a lovely salad full of lovely vegetables, visiting a friend. I feel much better, I don't eat salads...(is not a logical statement to most people).

You consume a broth made of heavy bones of beef or lamb (not chickens or turkeys). Additional ingredients: they include having lamb or beef in the broth. I tend to eat lamb or beef a couple of times a week, so I"m more into the broth than adding the meat. Additional ingredients: some freshly ground nutmeg, a tbs of molassas, a bit of red wine.

Food: warm, oily smooth.

This means: mostly cooked, not alot of roughage.

Roasted root vegetables: I did alot of root vegetable roasting. I eat many potatoes, after years of being told don't eat potatoes. But I will also include: carrots, fennel root (that is wind reducing), other root vegetables, sweet potatoe.

No bitter greens. No Kale (at night especially, no raw, uncooked or too bitter).

No wheat (since they are Tibetan, barley is retained!).

ebethc

Tibetan Wind diet: not Vegan.

I did it really intensely for about four months. Most weird stuff joint wise dramatically improved. Now: I mostly continue to do heavy Bone Broth (lamb, beef), limit uncooked foods mostly to earlier in the day.

I got really sick eating a lovely salad full of lovely vegetables, visiting a friend. I feel much better, I don't eat salads...(is not a logical statement to most people).

You consume a broth made of heavy bones of beef or lamb (not chickens or turkeys). Additional ingredients: they include having lamb or beef in the broth. I tend to eat lamb or beef a couple of times a week, so I"m more into the broth than adding the meat. Additional ingredients: some freshly ground nutmeg, a tbs of molassas, a bit of red wine.

Food: warm, oily smooth.

This means: mostly cooked, not alot of roughage.

Roasted root vegetables: I did alot of root vegetable roasting. I eat many potatoes, after years of being told don't eat potatoes. But I will also include: carrots, fennel root (that is wind reducing), other root vegetables, sweet potatoe.

No bitter greens. No Kale (at night especially, no raw, uncooked or too bitter).

No wheat (since they are Tibetan, barley is retained!).

thanks! it all sounds delicious

this is similar to the diet to resolve damp, with some notable differences..... bitter is good for me (due to damp) but here it's verboten, and I think root vegetables, carbs and fat are not great for damp...

Rufous McKinney

I am on a custom, individualized chinese herbal formula for my "Yin deficiency" but it works to get at my numerous personal challenges and issues. CTM is individualized medicine. Made just for your body's particular mix of issues.

Currently: I take 28 chinese herbs for this overall condition.

I also take four for IBS-d.

I then also try to squeeze in: chysanthemum flowers and gogi berry tea- for my eyes. This tea is delightful. I just dont' get it in as often as I'm trying to keep the other two going, plus drinking bone broth: I'd like to be doing it every day, but I"m not. Its $$.