• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain gone with AMBROXOL

pattismith

@Moof, did you have any sleepyness from it? this was a terrible side effect on me, together with the weakness.

Ambroxol also have the potency of inhibiting microglial activation, so I will try to keep it only at night to reduce the problem of the side effects I got.

Ambroxol is not only a neuroprotector but also a lung protector, which I need too, so this is another reason why I wish to keep it.

Last edited:

Moof

@Moof, did you have any sleepyness from it? this was a terrible side effect on me, together with the weakness.

Not in any significant way – I mostly felt my muscle fibres gradually starting to relax about half an hour after I took it. Same thing happened again today.

If I can buy it over the counter here, I'll keep some in the cupboard for when that symptom is particularly troublesome, or when I can't sleep because there's pressure on my bladder all the time. Both happen when I've overdone it a bit, and as I never really know where my limit is on any given day, it's all too easy to do!

EDIT: What dose did you take? My mate's tablets are 30mg.

pattismith

Not in any significant way – I mostly felt my muscle fibres gradually starting to relax about half an hour after I took it. Same thing happened again today.

If I can buy it over the counter here, I'll keep some in the cupboard for when that symptom is particularly troublesome, or when I can't sleep because there's pressure on my bladder all the time. Both happen when I've overdone it a bit, and as I never really know where my limit is on any given day, it's all too easy to do!

EDIT: What dose did you take? My mate's tablets are 30mg.

The tablets I have are 30 mg. I took 30 mg, but 15 mg does the job either. It took about 1h30 for me to notice an effect.

Moof

Interesting, thank you – next time I need some, I'll try half a tablet and see if works well enough. Always like to take the smallest dose I can!

I hope you can get around the sleepiness problem. I read some research about use in fibromyalgia, which suggested the drug might become more effective if taken long term, possibly allowing further dose reduction...you may also be able to get beyond the sleepiness once your body's used to it.

MEKoan

Can someone tell me where to get Ambroxol? I'm in Canada, and it seems to be impossible to get this side of the pond although not a restricted substance. I have found a Canadian supplier but they only supply to research scientists, not even to compounding pharmacies. I would be most interested in a form (pure powder, maybe) that could be made into a cream.

I would be very grateful for any ideas.

Lisa108

Unfortunately versandapo (and all other German online pharmacies I looked up so far) don't ship 'abroad'. Europe only.
Edit: Europe and European Economic Area only.
Edit: Wait. I found one. But shipping is 69,95 €! Link here.

Last edited:

MEKoan

Lisa 108, Big, big thanks to you for that fantastic search! I will follow that link and see where it leads me. You have helped so much :0)

Has anyone discussed having a cream compounded? Recent studies indicate excellent effect from topical use but there is no commercial cream. For trans-dermal effect, it's unlikely to be as easy as crushing up tablets and applying to skin, I imagine it matters a great deal what the filler in the tablet is, for instance.

I have spoken to a compounding pharmacy here in Canada to see if they could compound it, but their suppliers don't carry it. I spoke to a Canadian company that supplies it, but only to research scientists, not the public or to pharmacies. Not because it is regulated in any way, simply because they don't, that's all.

Are there any discussions about this on the forum?

Thanks again, all :0)

Lisa108

Lisa 108, Big, big thanks to you for that fantastic search! I will follow that link and see where it leads me. You have helped so much :0)
You're welcome! The shipping fees are ridiculously high as the ambroxol is really cheap here. Maybe someone could send it to you from the US?

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
Can someone tell me where to get Ambroxol? I'm in Canada, and it seems to be impossible to get this side of the pond although not a restricted substance. I have found a Canadian supplier but they only supply to research scientists, not even to compounding pharmacies. I would be most interested in a form (pure powder, maybe) that could be made into a cream.

I would be very grateful for any ideas.
Mimaki Family pharmacy sells it.

MEKoan

You're welcome! The shipping fees are ridiculously high as the ambroxol is really cheap here. Maybe someone could send it to you from the US?

I thought it wasn't available in the US? Is it? That would be so much easier!

Lisa108

Has anyone discussed having a cream compounded? Recent studies indicate excellent effect from topical use but there is no commercial cream. For trans-dermal effect, it's unlikely to be as easy as crushing up tablets and applying to skin, I imagine it matters a great deal what the filler in the tablet is, for instance.
This is the recipe that German pharmacies use (for off-label use and on request only):

" 50,0 g cream contain
  • Ambroxol 10,0 g (20%)
  • Dimethylsulfoxid 5,0 g (10%)
  • Linola®-cream ad 50,0 g"
The dimethylsulfoxid (DMSO) seems to be helping to dissolve the ambroxol, is anti-inflammatory, decongestant and helps the ambroxol to penetrate the skin.

But now, back to :zippit:

MEKoan

Lisa, Yes, yes! Do you know of a pharmacy that will compound this? Please, please unzip :0)

Lisa108

Lisa, Yes, yes! Do you know of a pharmacy that will compound this?
I think that any German pharmacy can compound this. But the cream has only a shelf-life of 4 weeks and has to be stored in the fridge... so this could be a problem with shipping. And as I said, shipping fees from Germany to Canada are very high.

Lisa108

This pharmacy-chain says that they are shipping worldwide. Since they are located at German airports, the shipping fees might be less. Maybe worth contacting?

I don't know if they would compound a cream. But maybe they can ship ambroxol hcl powder to a Canadian compounding pharmacy? At least they should know about legal restrictions.

This German manufacturer is producing ambroxol hcl powder. I found one German pharmacy offering the 25g pack size. (contact info here).

MEKoan

Lisa! What an amazing resource and researcher you are! I am astonished! And so grateful to you!

And what a good idea re hooking up compounding pharmacies! You have been such an amazing help! I can't stop using !!!

Thank you so much!

MEKoan

There shouldn't be any legal restrictions beyond what there would be for aspirin. It's not a controlled substance anywhere. Again: thank you!