• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pacing: can anyone recommend a heart rate monitor or app?

Hi all,

I just learned recently (from this site, of course!) about the technique of using a heart rate monitor as an objective way to make sure that you're effectively pacing. Brilliant. However, I'm having trouble finding the right one. Everything I've seen just seems to mention "an inexpensive heart rate monitor", but there are so many devices out there it's very confusing. Moreover, I already have an apple watch, but I don't think it's up to the task of continuously monitoring my heart rate all the time. I bought an app for it called HeartWatch, which claims to be able to alert you when your heart rate goes above a set point, but I've been getting the alerts hours later! Not helpful!

So, would anyone be able to recommend an inexpensive HRM or an apple watch app that is suitable for our needs?

Thanks!!

Seven7

Seven
I use alpha mio because is continuous, but unless you need it for excercise any of the cheaper ones are ok, also the polar chest strap are very accurate (i can't use because of big breast) but if that is not an issue for you, those are very good. Any fit bit should work if you do not need max alarms or continious reading.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Heart Rate Variability (HRV) is also a useful tool:
From: https://www.healthrising.org/forums...sting-could-help-you-improve-your-health.353/
The most surprising benefit I found from HRV tracking has been being able to objectively demonstrate ‘crashes’ to others. For me, qualitative descriptions of how I’m feeling from day to day always feel whingey. And – let’s face it - descriptors cannot adequately convey how you feel to people who have no direct experience of our illnesses.

However, I’ve found that when you can show graphs of your heart numbers, or can simply say, ‘My heart numbers have plummeted today’, people actually get it! They really do. My husband now asks me almost every day how my numbers are – and it makes sense to him. That makes HRV an amazing tool as far as I am concerned!
A follow-up blog is here: https://www.healthrising.org/forums...ement-tool-pt-ii-surveying-the-landscape.457/

HRV helps with pacing because it provides an objective measure about whether your body is able to do more on a particular day. It also might help to show the influence of supplements, diet changes, sleep etc.

I use a Corsense finger based HRV monitor and really like it. It's expensive, but very convenient (vs. a chest strap) for doing quick HRV checks first thing in the morning. After using it for a month I've found it's very good at telling when I'm in PEM. I've had years to learn pacing and how I feel, so it's obvious when I'm in PEM but it's nice to have an objective way of proving it. For someone new to pacing it might be a useful way to learn how to stay within their personal energy envelope.

Abrin

Heart Rate Variability (HRV) is also a useful tool:
I use a Corsense finger based HRV monitor and really like it. It's expensive, but very convenient (vs. a chest strap) for doing quick HRV checks first thing in the morning..

I used a Wahoo Tickr chest strap for years and only recently was able to save up for a Corsense. I absolutely adore how much easier it makes taking a morning reading. It really makes tracking HRV so easy.