• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxymatrine WORKS, But Horrendous Migraines

tdog333

I've been on and off Equilibrant and Oxymatrine (Alternative Medicine Solutions bottle) for about 4 years now. I am extremely lucky in the fact that it works well for me.

I was taking the max dose for a couple of years and getting daily crippling migraines and could not figure out what was going on. I finally linked these migraines to equilibrant(more specifically oxymatrine) and tried to wean off.

I start getting CFS and Fibro symptoms once I am off oxymatrine too long, but when I take it again i get these horrendous half-a-week long migraines which my migraine prescription will barely touch.

Any idea why oxymatrine is giving me such horrible migraines? Any suggestions on other things that might help since I respond so well to oxymatrine?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I want to try Oxymatrine too but have to get through a rough spot right now before I do. I hope you get some answers that help.

I was going to say Excedrine which has the acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine. That used to get my migraines to budge but the aspirin usually upset my stomach and makes me feel worse (kinda toxic) the next day. So it's a bit of a trade off. Still migraines are horrible.

Candied ginger also sometimes works and helps with the nausea.

Sudafed (the old version) but in a kid's dose sometimes works for me as well. (Can cause high blood pressure.)

Valerian worked once--probably as a muscle relaxant.

Also I like End Pain taken at the same time as the old version of This. That also worked great for me. Unfortunately, they changed the formula and added Glucosamin, Condroitin, and MSM which I can't have. But the last 4 ingredients together worked well for me with the End Pain.

Of course, that's a lot of herbals. I worry sometimes that combining so many could potentially be just as dangerous as combining medications or combining herbals with medications. I don't know how the Oxymatrine would interact with these so I would use caution with whatever you try.**

If none of the above work, then I usually just have to go and try to sleep the headache away.

**Even though I've listed all these, I've never taken all of these together. I just wanted to list them here because they have worked some over the years.)

Judee

Okay, so I'm having a migraine today and tried my version of the Excedrine--aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine since I have no Excedrine in the house. I also tried the ginger for the nausea.

They do help a bit but then I remembered one other thing I tried once before when I was feeling so toxic and that was an Artichoke/Milk Thistle capsule I have that supports liver and gall bladder and seems to help those organs detox me better.

Well I took one of those today and did start to feel halfway better a short time later. The first time I used it months ago, it took the migraine away in about 1/2 hour. It didn't do that this time. I still have the headache several hours later. Currently, it is much less severe but still unpleasant.

As always my muscles ache as well as though they are very toxic so I'll probably take a 2nd dose at supper.

Anyway, this got me to thinking about your situation. First the Equilibrant has artificial dyes in it so if you are using that they could be causing a problem but if like me, you are making your own formula, you could just possibly be experiencing die-off of all the viruses that Oxymatrine is said to work against. Die-off would make you more toxic and supporting your liver/gall bladder with herbals like the ones I mentioned (I think there are others as well) might help you with the headaches.

I think that would be a better idea anyway as the other things I mentioned before are just a band-aid approach whereas supporting the liver may get more to the root of this side effect you are experiencing.

JohnnyMinnesota99

Hello tdog,

Thank you for an interesting post! Where do you get the oxymatrine, and how much is it roughly?

Do you know if one can take oxymatrine togehter with Valaciclovir (Lerner protocoll)?

Best regards

Johnny Minnesota

ChrisD

I've been on and off Equilibrant and Oxymatrine (Alternative Medicine Solutions bottle) for about 4 years now. I am extremely lucky in the fact that it works well for me.

I was taking the max dose for a couple of years and getting daily crippling migraines and could not figure out what was going on. I finally linked these migraines to equilibrant(more specifically oxymatrine) and tried to wean off.

I start getting CFS and Fibro symptoms once I am off oxymatrine too long, but when I take it again i get these horrendous half-a-week long migraines which my migraine prescription will barely touch.

Any idea why oxymatrine is giving me such horrible migraines? Any suggestions on other things that might help since I respond so well to oxymatrine?

This has been my experience so far after 2 weeks at 100mg a day and then 2 weeks at 200mg a day, the migraines have started. I seem to Get more dehydrated too. Dropping back down to 100mg but I'll keep going because I've definitely felt a bit of an immune shift and little positive shifts in sleep/energy/mood.

I wonder if Inosine could mitigate for the migraine side effect? Also thinking of combining with DHQ soon.

I'm sure I've seen someone tag Dr Chia before, is that possible ?

hapl808

This has been my experience so far after 2 weeks at 100mg a day and then 2 weeks at 200mg a day, the migraines have started. I seem to Get more dehydrated too. Dropping back down to 100mg but I'll keep going because I've definitely felt a bit of an immune shift and little positive shifts in sleep/energy/mood.

I wonder if Inosine could mitigate for the migraine side effect? Also thinking of combining with DHQ soon.

I'm sure I've seen someone tag Dr Chia before, is that possible ?

How's your experience continuing? Are you using oxymatrine or Equilibriant?

Judee

I tried to find previous Equilibrant/oxymatrine threads** where people mentioned Dr Chia's prescribing doses. I think IIRC that he starts his patients out with a very low dose...1/6th of a pill maybe and then increases that every 2 weeks depending on herx reaction...i.e. if someone isn't doing well at one dose I think he had them go down to the previous level rather than stopping altogether because there's a chance it won't work again if you do. ????

I had to make my own diy Equilibrant in the beginning because I can't have some of the ingredients in his version.

That being said if my compounding calculations were correct I think Iwas only doing about a 10th of a pill per day.

I increased very slowly from there.

By about 3 months, I had switched to straight oxymatrine. Still by that time, I was only up to one 300mg capsule of oxymatrine per day. (Taking it with Hip's selenium suggestions helps too.)

If I had to guess, I'd say that the headaches some people are experiencing may be from starting too high a dose. (Though maybe not the OP.)

**https://forums.phoenixrising.me/search/682431/?q=equilibrant&c[title_only]=1&o=date
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/search/682432/?q=oxymatrine&c[title_only]=1&o=date
(Search results with Equilibrant/oxymatrine in the titles. Sorry...not in a good place right now to find that starting dose mentioned.) :(

Edit: Anyone reading this might also want to go back and read some of JohnnyMinnesota99's posts as I think he was one who had a lot of success with it. (@chrisD, @hapl808?)

Last edited: