• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overmethylated= Ear Ringing and Histamine Intolerance?

linusbert

Whoa, your loaded pretty bad with mutations as well though. I definitely believe double homozygous comt mutations are causing the issues I have. My wife can take the exact same thing (she has 1 comt copy) and feel great, then sleep great. I'll be up for days if I make a mistake. But that Mao mutation also...that plus comt could be very problematic. I'll have to see if I have that.

alright, i check. where can i find info for this?

i have no sleep problems. i go to bed, i sleep within like 2 minutes. in the morning i wake up and am not even sleepy. i get out because i am bored of sleeping and want to do the day.
i dont think my sleep is super regenerative, but i dont feel it.

GreenMachineX

alright, i check. where can i find info for this?

i have no sleep problems. i go to bed, i sleep within like 2 minutes. in the morning i wake up and am not even sleepy. i get out because i am bored of sleeping and want to do the day.
i dont think my sleep is super regenerative, but i dont feel it.
Gotcha. I found the best info on comt from Dr Chris Masterjohn and Dr Ben Lynch. They both have websites. Certain foods and supplements make my insomnia worse. Glad you don't have those issues!

Rooney

My tinnitus turned out to be from allergies. Dust mites in particular which are terrible him my humid climate.

Also, common drugs can cause this so check out what you are taking for tinnitus side effects. For me it was Lovastatin & Neomycin - both are used in SIBO treatment.

I've had that before too and think it was neurotransmitter overload in my case.
Hi Green MachineX,
I suspected I have neurotransmitter overload issue, it’s been 13 months for me that I can’t fall asleep on my own, I’m relying on Zopiclon. I I was takeoff multiple supplements (folate, b12, Ashwagandha, lemon balm, MSM, licrice root, milk thistle, nettle leaf, zinc, and more that I don’t remember). I have stopped all them more than 6 months ago (all my vitamins level are still hire high in my blood). I most eat vegetables, fruit and small amount of fish/meat. Now, I still don’t see any improvement. Do you have any idea what could help? (All over the counter sleep aid won’t work) I am desperate!

GreenMachineX

Hi Green MachineX,
I suspected I have neurotransmitter overload issue, it’s been 13 months for me that I can’t fall asleep on my own, I’m relying on Zopiclon. I I was takeoff multiple supplements (folate, b12, Ashwagandha, lemon balm, MSM, licrice root, milk thistle, nettle leaf, zinc, and more that I don’t remember). I have stopped all them more than 6 months ago (all my vitamins level are still hire high in my blood). I most eat vegetables, fruit and small amount of fish/meat. Now, I still don’t see any improvement. Do you have any idea what could help? (All over the counter sleep aid won’t work) I am desperate!
You're not taking any vitamins, nor eating eggs? I'm pretty sure that's what's causing it for me, but I need both to feel somewhat normal as well. I know I need extra niacin when I eat eggs and take vitamins though.

I was taking a lot (vitamin and herbal supplements) back then, but stopped 6 months ago. I did try niacin for a bout 3 weeks but the improvement wasn’t obvious. I’m still struggling greatly. I’m not eating any eggs. There are quite a few people on this forum having problems with supplements(b12, methylfolate etc./I was taking both and more) , but I can’t seem to find anyone has come out of this hell 😮‍💨 it really worries me. It’s been 13 looong months, I don’t know how much longer I can hang onto it.

GreenMachineX

I was taking a lot (vitamin and herbal supplements) back then, but stopped 6 months ago. I did try niacin for a bout 3 weeks but the improvement wasn’t obvious. I’m still struggling greatly. I’m not eating any eggs. There are quite a few people on this forum having problems with supplements(b12, methylfolate etc./I was taking both and more) , but I can’t seem to find anyone has come out of this hell 😮‍💨 it really worries me. It’s been 13 looong months, I don’t know how much longer I can hang onto it.

I also realized that certain fruits and veggies contributed to the feeling. When i cut out broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc I felt so much calmer. This isn't a long term strategy, but it was a clue for me. Now I'm trying to add those back in. Do you have COMT mutations? Do you at least take magnesium, and if so, which form? How much niacin did you try?

I finally slept 8 hours last night with only 2 or 3 wake ups. I feel great today. The only change was taking 1g fish oil and 1g vitamin C at dinner instead of lunch.

I didn’t check COMT mutation. I tried niacin with different doses from 50mg to 750mg (I couldn’t do more cause I feel it dried my eyes out, I developed dry eye since I stopped sleeping in Jan last year).

Tbh I was quite healthy before starting to supplement those stuff. The reason I did was because I lost a lot of hair to keto diet( I didn’t lose any weight, I was just trying to quit sugar, I only weight 48kg). My friend told me about this ‘medical medium’ diet that some people have good result growing their hair back. So, I became a vegan then started to take the supplements he recommended for hair growth (in high dose), 2 months into it I stopped sleeping and has had so many neurological symptoms. All other neurological symptoms comes and goes and I can tolerate, only the insomnia wouldn’t budge and being the most detrimental. I am not able to work or function anymore. I tried to experiment with food but nothing really helped. I’m at loss. I know no one would know but I think my brain chemical has been altered from all the supplements. I just don’t know how to rebalance it anymore.

GreenMachineX

I didn’t check COMT mutation. I tried niacin with different doses from 50mg to 750mg (I couldn’t do more cause I feel it dried my eyes out, I developed dry eye since I stopped sleeping in Jan last year).

Tbh I was quite healthy before starting to supplement those stuff. The reason I did was because I lost a lot of hair to keto diet( I didn’t lose any weight, I was just trying to quit sugar, I only weight 48kg). My friend told me about this ‘medical medium’ diet that some people have good result growing their hair back. So, I became a vegan then started to take the supplements he recommended for hair growth (in high dose), 2 months into it I stopped sleeping and has had so many neurological symptoms. All other neurological symptoms comes and goes and I can tolerate, only the insomnia wouldn’t budge and being the most detrimental. I am not able to work or function anymore. I tried to experiment with food but nothing really helped. I’m at loss. I know no one would know but I think my brain chemical has been altered from all the supplements. I just don’t know how to rebalance it anymore.
Have you completely cut out veggies and fruit and any sources of folate for just a couple days? It sounds like you may have similar issues as I do.

I never thought about that actually. I thought I need fruits and vegetables to be healthy. What do you eat when you cut out vegetables and fruits? I have very high b12 level so I’m trying to avoid meat as well which doesn’t leave me with much options.

GreenMachineX

I never thought about that actually. I thought I need fruits and vegetables to be healthy. What do you eat when you cut out vegetables and fruits? I have very high b12 level so I’m trying to avoid meat as well which doesn’t leave me with much options.
I eat a lot of chicken, beef and eggs. Lettuce, carrots, watermelon, cantaloupe don't seem to bother me. Otherwise oatmeal, organic pasta, sometimes baked beans. Nuts and peanut butter. And i don't mean to cut it out forever, just for a week to see if it's an issue, then go from there. It sounds like you were doing better on keto before the vegan diet. I bet that's playing a role like it does with me. A week (or even several) without veggies won't harm your health.

Hi Green MachineX,

That's good that you have stopped taking supplements.

But if you only eat vegetables, fruit, and a little bit of meat this diet has multiple major nutritional gaps. Getting neurotransmitters out of the synapse so they stop keeping you awake requires ATP. All the transporters like dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, and glutamate transporters need ATP to work. You also need choline for sleep particularly as it helps shut down the body's sympathetic activity, also known as the fight or flight system.

This diet has almost no iodine (which is needed to make thyroid hormones can they increase ATP production), it is low in choline, zinc, calcium, and selenium. When you have all these nutrients missing, your ability to clear out excitatory neurotransmitters will be impaired and you can easily develop insomnia because of low ATP mainly but also because zinc, calcium, and choline also have roles in helping you sleep. Just the lack of iodine alone will make you very hypothyroid. In hypothyroidism, your ATP production will significantly reduced.

I would recommend you start incorporating at least 2-3 eggs a day for choline and iodine. And 2-3 servings of milk, yogurt, or kefir to provide calcium needs and more iodine. As for zinc, you will get a little from dairy and eggs but you need more. I would recommend eating at least 1 serving of red meat a day, but 2 servings would be better. High blood B12 levels is not really a concern because its clearly caused by your past B12 supplementation. It will go down slowly on its own. Its definitely not a reason to avoid animal products because you will miss many nutrients by not eating them. The other issue its hard to get enough carbs if all you eat is fruits and vegetables. You need starches like rice and potatoes, pasta, etc to get more calories in.

Last edited:

linusbert

You also need choline for sleep particularly as it helps shut down the body's sympathetic activity, also known as the fight or flight system.

regarding that i have a short offtopic-ish question,
when cholin helps regulate sympathic system down, can it overshoot and turn it down too much?
i sometimes have episodes where i am snoozing and wake up because i realize i am not breathing... or very hard. can this be cholin related?

regarding that i have a short offtopic-ish question,
when cholin helps regulate sympathic system down, can it overshoot and turn it down too much?
i sometimes have episodes where i am snoozing and wake up because i realize i am not breathing... or very hard. can this be cholin related?
Cholinergic crisis which is when there is excessive acetylcholine in synapses can cause respiratory failure but the only way for this to happen is through certain cholinergic drugs or poisons like organophosphates. Its really very difficult for this to happen through dietary means. This sounds like sleep apnea.

Last edited:

Freddd

For me I have all sorts of symptoms from insufficient vitamin D when it gets below 50 (30-100) or so, the bottom third of the range approximately. It caused most cell making to cease and I was very damaged. I bought a UVB lamp and healing has started up strongly and I had to increase methylfolate from 45 mg to 60 mg (4 doses a day) and it looks like I'm back on the refeeding syndrome merry-go-round. With low vit D I couldn't sleep well or long, poorly for about 2 hours a night. he I restarted testosterone it help considerably and now with the UVB light making vit D I am feeling lots better and healing well.

Lack of sufficient MeCbl, AdoCbl and methylfolate, among other things can decrease methylation as can lack of vit D. This can cause hundreds of symptoms and lacks and symptoms all sorts of tings.

linusbert

For me I have all sorts of symptoms from insufficient vitamin D when it gets below 50 (30-100) or so, the bottom third of the range approximately. It caused most cell making to cease and I was very damaged. I bought a UVB lamp and healing has started up strongly and I had to increase methylfolate from 45 mg to 60 mg (4 doses a day) and it looks like I'm back on the refeeding syndrome merry-go-round. With low vit D I couldn't sleep well or long, poorly for about 2 hours a night. he I restarted testosterone it help considerably and now with the UVB light making vit D I am feeling lots better and healing well.

Lack of sufficient MeCbl, AdoCbl and methylfolate, among other things can decrease methylation as can lack of vit D. This can cause hundreds of symptoms and lacks and symptoms all sorts of tings.

what measuring units are you referring to? ng/ml? nmol?
i have the feeling that methylfolate wrecks me badly, the inactive folic acid though does nothing.

regarding vitamin D i have a strange thing going on. i cannot tolerate daily dosages but weekly seams ok. 7x5k makes me more and more bad (muscles cramping and pain) but once 35k is ok.
i had deficiency few month ago, it was like 4ng/ml. i could not take magnesium anymore, made me worse, but since i am back up VD by 500.000ie over the last 4 month, i think i tolerate magnesium better again. so i take every few days 100mg magnesium.

also i noticed on a course of 1-2x weekly high dose active and methylated b-complex that my asthma/allergies/food intolerances are getting worse and worse. usually VD helps me with asthma but not in combo ... or the b vitamins make asthma worse than VD makes it better. i have no such problems with VD alone, or carnitine.
VC worsens asthma as well. not from fruits though, sadly i cannot eat any fruits.

in general i take once a week like 35k VD, high dose active and "methylated" B-complex, carnitine-fumerate, B12 1-2mg, VC, VA, Omega3 ... but not anymore. because of worsening of asthma.
i am now thinking to go with methylfree b-complex and folic acid instead.

Hi Cheyle,
I just wanted to say I was doing terrible from just dosing methyl B12 for 2 weeks starting at 500 mcg and going all the way down to 125mcg dosages. I was only sleeping 2 hours a night and was feeling ridiculously depressed during the day. No amount of niacin made any benefit. I started to get chest tightness and panic attacks, which for me is totally out of character because I am deep into meditating, so I knew it was overmethylation.

I read a post that Hip made that when he is overmethylating he takes the for niacinamide at 1000mg to 1500mg. So I took 1000mg at night and slept all night and all day the next day. I am now recovered. Niacinamide was the ticket.