• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One year on Methylation treatment - new health issues

Critterina

Penny,

It sounds like you're doing well on most of these things. It is something else to look into, for sure. For my bath, the recipe I was given by my health care practitioner was 1 cup epsom salt, 1/2 cup sea salt, and 1/4 cup baking soda, and 15-20 minutes was all I was Rx'd. I think I mis-spoke earlier about the quantity of baking soda I used. I mail order the Himalayan sea salt bulk (not too expensive) and get the other two at Costco.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/omega3fa/ is some info on essential fatty acids. I remember when I was in college that there were three, not two, but you didn't need the third after infancy or some such. Now I wonder what it was. Note that the ALA here is not alpha-lipoic-acid that some of us take as a supplement, but alpha-linolenic acid, a different beastie.

Best wishes for good health!

garyfritz

Well, got asked to see a dermatologist. He feels they are angiolipomas. 1% of the population gets lipomas (benign tumors that are pain free). Of those 1% of them have pain - which just gets updated to angiolipomas for the naming convention - exactly the same thing, except add pain. Lipomas are nodules of tissue, veins and fatty tissue that forms. And go figure, if you get one angiolipoma, you get a bunch - which does tie into my experience.
The only treatment is surgical removal. Which can increase the risk of getting them again.
Right now I'm researching re-occurance of angiolipomas... it seems like it's a pretty low risk, but I'd rather find more than one undocumented reference for it.
Penny, I just saw this. I don't know if this will be useful to you or not, but...

I had/have lipomas. Mine were supposedly just fatty deposits, not angiolipomas. About 20 years ago I had about 14-15 of them surgically removed from my thighs, buttocks, and one big one on my arm. The largest ones were 1-2" across and getting uncomfortable, but at least I didn't have the pain you have.

20 years later those lipomas have never recurred -- they didn't "come back" -- but I have other ones forming elsewhere. I believe those would have formed without the surgery.

Victronix

>>I got a prescription for potassium supplements (haven't started them yet).

I hope you get to try that soon. For me, low potassium manifests as very odd pains and severe muscle issues, among other things.

I can only tolerate magnesium that is made by Albion (http://www.albionminerals.com/human-nutrition/products-trade/traacs and these are the companies that use it in their products -- http://www.albionminerals.com/human...ld-medallion-program/gold-medallion-companies). I originally learned about that from a woman nutritional researcher who has a website about magnesium and D which was very helpful (http://krispin.com/magnes.html). I tried everything and went through hell. But magnesium is key for energy for me. Without it I'm exhausted and basically with muscle pain every single day. The ratio with calcium is important, too. I really need to have more mag than calcium but its very hard to find the right ratio.

But if the bath works, that's good.

Sorry to hear about the nodules, and confusion on those . . .

Critterina

@PennyIA ,

Today in physical therapy, the therapist said that stretching helps remove lactic acid from the muscles. I have know idea whether that statement is universal enough that it might apply to you, but I thought I'd pass it on. Sometimes every little bit helps, and this little bit is inexpensive and probably won't hurt.

aaron_c

Hey @PennyIA

What ever happened with your gout? I have recently encountered this issue and I'm trying to figure out if it is a "healing crisis" or just another imbalance I need to address.

Thanks!

helen1

@aaron_c
I too have had gout attacks but I do not think they're part of healing. In fact they can be permanently damaging.

@Gondwanaland knows a lot more about this than I do but if I keep my oxalate intake down and keep my high purine foods at a moderate intake level, I'm usually ok.

If not, intense curcumin use stops a gout attack quickly for me.

Gondwanaland

if I keep my oxalate intake down
This last time I had to introduce high ox foods in my menu in order to heal (figs, 70-90% chocolate, quinoa, mustard seeds, tahini, ginger, olives, lots of fresh parsley), sometimes it is hard to tell apart what heals from what hurts. Omega 3 caps certainly helped. At my worst even plant foods high in purines/high in molybdenum had to be avoided (e.g. beans/nuts). I could only eat very fatty salmon as animal protein, in addition to fresh, white cheeses.

What really did the trick for me was to start estrogen replacement therapy and drink a tea from a local herb (which I suppose has a similar effect to Devil's Claw, being both highly estrogenic), in the 1st day it already had a huge healing effect and in 3 days all was gone.

I have noticed that sex hormones and protein metabolism are tightly connected
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5α-Reductase
5α-reductases, are enzymes involved in steroid metabolism.
They participate in 3 metabolic pathways: bile acid biosynthesis, androgen and estrogen metabolism.
and the main driver of my autoimmunity is poor protein digestion, which probably leads to my uric acid issues. Taking a mix of proteases was very enlightening. Protease also activates estrogen receptors, so one must be very careful about using it.

Poor protein digestion > leaky gut > crystal deposition in tissues and organs > joint pain + auto-antibodies
I guess this also explains my many intolerances to supplements, esp methyl donors.
If not, intense curcumin use stops a gout attack quickly for me.
Curcumin seems to drag a lot of crystals around in my body :ill:

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I had/have lipomas.
My husband had a big one in his back, close to the left shoulder blade, but it disappeared after cutting back on carbs. He also had dozens of skin tags removed by the dermatologist, who missed a couple of them which also disappeared on a GF diet lower in carbs.

Last edited:

PennyIA

Hey @PennyIA

What ever happened with your gout? I have recently encountered this issue and I'm trying to figure out if it is a "healing crisis" or just another imbalance I need to address.

Thanks!

I'm still having gout attacks fairly frequently. I've found that tart cherry helps alot with acute attacks, however, I'm not convinced it's not without cost as it seems like I'm experiencing the gout like pain in more locations now. :(

Gondwanaland

I know this is an old thread, @Gondwanaland, but are you still taking this and what brand did you find useful?
I don't take enzymes anymore for 2 reasons:
Bromelain apparently was digesting my joints - ouch :eek:
I am afraid of taking them will suppress my endogenous production

I took something compounded locally