• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Olive Leaf Extract

Rockt

Took Olive Leaf Extract a year or so ago and got some improvement from it. But the NP I was seeing said not to take it too much or the pathogens/yeast would get resilient to it.

Lately my mental PEM has become much worse, so I got some more OLE and started taking it yesteday. I think I noticed an immediate improvment, albeit minor. Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I don't think so.

So my question is, how much of this stuff can one take, or more pointedly, what's the best way to take it, (often and lots, pulsing...?)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

undcvr

Either pulse it or take it in combination with other herbs.

I dont think you have to be very concerned about what your NP says, whenever you need it just take it. Over time you will realise that it will stop to work anyway, that is when it no longer stimulates the immune system and you either have to up the dose or find something else. Then after a few months you can try taking it again.

Rockt

Thanks undcvr, good advice, (67 views of this post, you were the only response I got. This seems to happen alot - I must be doing something wrong).

Yeah, everything that helps even a little bit seems to stop working. FRUSTRATING!

Any suggestions for other herbs to take with the OLE?

ukxmrv

I read it Rockt, but didn't respond as the OLE didn't agree with me. I got severe stomach pains and no improvement on any ME symptoms (incl stomach ones) from 2 different types. Just wanted you to know that. Have little good response from any treatments so cannot comment.

Good luck!

undcvr

Thats funny because OLE is in Chia's Eqilibrant formula and some pple i have asked dont like it becos of the OLE. They know this becos they have taken the other herbs in the formula by themselves as monotherapy and it never gave them any problems.

I would take it with Elderberry. I kinda like that herb.

Rockt

Thanks again undcvr.

It seems to give a very slight improvement to the mental PEM I have so much of. Again, maybe psychological. I'm going to try it for awhile, then take a break and try again. I think it's one of the more benign supplements, but I've been wrong on this before...

Lotus97

There's another thread discussing some of the other benefits of Olive Leaf Extract:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/olive-leaf-extract.823/
Also, for people who were having problems with olive leaf extract you might want to try olives because they have the same active ingredients as olive leaf such as hydroxytyrosol/tyrosol and verbascoside/oleuropein. If you don't feel like eating a bunch of olives (sodium much?) there are some olive fruit extracts you can buy. Life Extension has a fish oil with olive extract. They have both enteric-coated and non enteric versions
http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension...ignans-Olive-Fruit-Extract-240-Softgels/40289
If you just want the olive extract, Paradise Herbs has a supplement. Be aware that Paradise Herbs also sells Olive Leaf Extract so make sure to read the description carefully.
http://www.iherb.com/Paradise-Herbs-Med-Vita-OliveForce-60-Veggie-Caps/18794

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Took Olive Leaf Extract a year or so ago and got some improvement from it. But the NP I was seeing said not to take it too much or the pathogens/yeast would get resilient to it.

Lately my mental PEM has become much worse, so I got some more OLE and started taking it yesteday. I think I noticed an immediate improvment, albeit minor. Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I don't think so.

So my question is, how much of this stuff can one take, or more pointedly, what's the best way to take it, (often and lots, pulsing...?)

Any input is greatly appreciated.
I take 1g/day each and every day and have done so for 4 years and it helps each and every day. It lowers my blood pressure 11 points and I can feel it relax my blood vessels (it is thought to be an ace inhibitor), and it kills pathogens in my stomach. I originally took it because I started noticing low stomach acid in my 40's (relieved when PMS would go away) so I knew I had to take something to kill pathogens since stomach acid is supposed to do that.

Sea

Thanks undcvr, good advice, (67 views of this post, you were the only response I got. This seems to happen alot - I must be doing something wrong).

No not doing anything wrong. There are lots of people here who are readers only and never post. Either by choice or just not up to it. I rarely reply if I don't feel that I have something to add to the discussion.

Years ago I bought some olive leaf for the good things I'd read about it. I packed a capsule and gulped it. Within 15 minutes I was wretching vomiting and did not let up, felt like my liver was being poisoned. I had to check into the hospital for compazine. I waited a couple years and did the experiment again, same result. I don't know if it was a bad batch of olive leaf, some other herb that might be poisonous, or if it was a Herxheimer reaction due to some unknown/undiagnosed condition. I have not had the courage to experiment with olive leaf since. As for the oil I've no problem with it at all.