• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Noticed a pattern - alcohol and / or benzos improve my cardio / endurance

borko2100

I bought an electric bike a year ago. And it's been great. Riding a regular bike kills me after only a kilometer or two, that's why an electric bike has been so useful.

Recently I've noticed something very interesting though. On a few occasions I could not use my electric bike and was forced to use the regular one. And the thing I noticed, when I am sober, get exhausted very easily like usual, but when I've drank a few pints and / or taken a benzo my endurance is greatly improved. Like I said, normally I'd get exhausted after a km or two, but if I've drank or taken benzos I could go maybe 5 - 6 km before this happens. Also this was not an isolated incident, it happened several times.

So I don't know, maybe this is where we have to look. Ron Davis already mentioned a GABA shunt or something like that and Whitney improves from Ativan.

Personally, I guess I will just have to be content of feeling a bit better on alcohol (no remission by any means though), better than nothing and certainly better than most of the supplements / treatments I've tried so far. Hope this helps.