• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NOTE FROM DR. DONNICA- DR. OZ show taping

leelaplay

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: Dr Oz Show

I forgot how to access your forum! Please let everyone know that the Dr. Oz segment is TAPING on Friday, but the air date has not yet been set. I didn't realize this & just found out. It might be in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Donnica

Donnica L. Moore, MD
President, Sapphire Women's Health Group LLC
DrDonnica@aol.com
www.DrDonnica.com

NEW BOOK: Women's Health for Life: Now available at http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Health-Life-Donnica-Moore/dp/0756642779/

Women's Health for Life Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Womens-Health-for-Life/63567424074

Recovery Soon

Letter to Dr. Oz (re: Dr. Teitelbaum)

I sent the letter off to Oz 3 days ago

Also sent it to Dr. Donnica- got a very warm response back- She's going to do a great job on the show (rather, I'm sure she did a good job today- it taped today)

Dear Dr. Oz,

Please be careful when presenting Dr. Teitlebaum as an expert on CFS. Dr. Teitelbaum oversimplifies a devastating disease, and overstates his ability to control the condition. Very few people are ever cured from CFS, and Dr. Teitelbaum's claim of helping hundreds of thousands recover is pure fantasy.

Dr. Teitelbaum conveniently refers to CFS as Chronic Fatigue on television, which widens his target market from 1 million Americans who are debilitated with a neuro-immune dysfunction (of which fatigue is but ONE symptom) to people who feel generally tired, which is nearly everyone on the planet.

CFS destroyed my life. It onset over 3 years ago, when in my mid-30's I was in tremendous physical shape, exercising for hours a day in a boxing gym, and working as a Creative Executive. One day I got the flu- and it NEVER LEFT.

I read "From Fatigue to Fantastic" and went to the Fatigue and Fibromyalgia clinics, where Dr. Teitelbaum is the Medical Director. After spending thousands and thousands of out of pocket dollars, I was very far from a recovery, as was every single other patient with whom I encountered, who had taken Dr. Teilebaum at his word. The final blow came when the head physician at the Connecticut F&F clinic left the practice. Privately, he confided to me that he could not "emotionally handle treating people and watching them not get better." He confirmed that he had not seen ANYONE get cured on Teitelbaums SHINE protocol. That was the last time I went to the clinic.

Yes, Dr. Teitelbaum has some relevant knowledge on herbal supplements, which may offer very modest benefits to CFS patients. But his overall message is one which oversimplifies a devastating condition, and further alienates CFS sufferers from a world in which we have been ignored, disrespected, and left to lose everything we have in life. Such practices have left us unfunded and unrecognized by the CDC for years- a travesty beyond explanation.

The final insult is being told that we have imagined this condition, which is nearly always the first assumption, and usually the final diagnosis. In fact, Dr. Teitelabum himself told me in person at one of his appearances, that I was clearly a very driven person, and that I needed to examine the issues in my life if I wanted to get better, when I pressed him on why I was seeing no benefits from his protocol. Dr. Teitelbaum is used to wooing crowds with a library like knowledge of Herbal Remedies, and is not very used to pointed questions about his recovery discrepancies. Pretty ironic, coming from a man who touts himself as a CFS advocate fighting against the nitwits who dont believe CFS is a physical disease. In many ways he perpetuates the very same stigma he claims to guard against.

I would rather this disease go unrecognized than see this man do further damage on your show.

I can only hope in the future you will not further the grossly inflated "cure" claims of your guests, and do the homework necessary to validate the suffering of people who have dealt with more than you could imagine for longer than you would ever hope to believe.

If you want a reference point- just think of MS patients being laughed at in the early 20th Century, and called crazy.

Pretty unbelievable, huh? Well, believe it, because this is the reality for a million CFS patients in the early 21st century. And from the looks of the treatment of this condition as presented on your show, things are not about to change any time soon.

zoe.a.m.

Great letter Recovery Soon. You have great perspective given that you've been seen by Dr. T's clinic workers and even spoken to him. I would be surprised if whomever reads Dr. Oz's inbox could ignore the story you told of the physician who quit and confided in you. I hope it catches his attention; it's clearly a really tempered and honest collection of your thoughts.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
NOTE FROM DR. DONNICA on the OZ SHOW today!

I just got the following email from Dr. Donnica, regarding today's OZ Show taping.

"I think The Dr. Oz Show did a great job given the time limit. The patient they had was also terrific. I, on the other hand, was a little tongue tied + not at the top of my game. We didn't get everything in (of course), but we covered a lot of territory. I think your group will be pleased, although there are a few weak points (like not getting in a thorough discussion on symptoms beyond fatigue). Overall, a B+ IMHO (but I'm a tough grader!). And even though I was there, I haven't gotten to "see" the segment yet! He did promise to put "much more info" about CFS on his website.
Best regards
Donnica"

SeaShel

Thanks for the update Dreambirdie, been wondering all day.

They must not have given her an estimated date for it to run?

I'm sure she did great, especially compared to Teitelbaum.

Dr. Oz Show on CFS

Thanks for the update Dreambirdie, been wondering all day.

They must not have given her an estimated date for it to run?

I'm sure she did great, especially compared to Teitelbaum.

They estimate that the show will air in 2-3 weeks & the producer promised to let me know when. I will pass on the info when I have it.

G

George

For Dr. Donnica

Remembered how to log in:D:D:D

Welcome welcome, thanks for advocating for all of the CFS/ME folks on the show.

And remember the advice you give your loved ones applies to you too. Take care of your self, enjoy your upcoming holiday and relax.

Hugs and thanks and wishes for a great holiday Dr. Donnica

leelaplay

thank you

Thank you again Donnica for being on the show.

and thanks so Donnica and dreambirdie for keeping us in the loop .

The news re the show is much more optimistic that I had dared hope. So looking forward to seeing it. And fantastic news that Dr Oz will update his website with accurate info. Thank you Donnica for following that up too.

I just LOVE the thought that millions of people are going to get a good picture of what ME/CFS is from a source they trust. Plus if Dr Oz updates his site, millions more will get the info there.

a very happy

islandfinn:)

ixchelkali

Oops

I managed to get it wrong and thought it was airing today. I now know more about bedbugs than I ever wanted to. :D

I'll be looking for news about when it will air. Thanks for keeping us posted.

starryeyes

Recovery Soon-- thanks for writing that letter. I saw Dr. T give a presentation and I read FFTF. I agree with everything you said. I took just half of one of his Energy powder supplement he gave out as a prize for showing up and it made me totally sick for the next 12 hours.

I'll never forget it. I also learned nothing from his book.

tee

Recovery Soon

In fairness, I actually use his powder. I think it's pretty good.

But, his practice of purposely meshing CFS and fatigue when he is one television is very damaging to us. But I guess it sells more powder.

Dr. Oz Show Air Date

I just heard from the producer at the Dr. Oz Show who said the air date will be Thurs. 12/3.

Best wishes for a happy & relatively healthy Thanksgiving, Donnica

jenbooks

Thanks Dr. Donnica (I guess we'll nickname you that). Your B plus is anybody else's triple A quadruple plus ;).

KC22

Dr. Donnica

We can't thank you enough for accepting this invitation to the Dr. Oz show and being such a voice for all of us!!!

We appreciate all you have done for this community.:)

usedtobeperkytina

Great

Great.

Marking my calendar.

Now, we all know that there is editing involved. So we don't know how great it will be. But it will be better than nothing. And no doubt will have a much different angle than the overall fatigue one.

I hope the good doctor isn't disappointed after the editors get a hold of it.

Tina

Dreambirdie

work in progress
ADDITIONAL NEWS FROM WPI MEDIA COORDINATOR

I spoke with Frankie Vigil this a.m., and got word that:

Judy Mikovits was interviewed EXTENSIVELY via telephone by the OZ SHOW medical producer. The interview was NOT TAPED, but they got all they could from her regarding info on the research of the XMRV virus.

AND

The patient that OZ had on the show (named Gina) was prepped by the WPI folks prior to the taping. She is "well versed in media," used to have her own radio show, is a resident of Nevada and had tested positive for XMRV.

That all sounds good to me!

starryeyes

This is fantastic news everyone! Thank you very much Dr. Donnica. :) It's great that they extensively interviewed Mikovits and that they had on a smart CFS patient who has tested positive for XMRV.

I'm thankful this Thanksgiving.

tee