• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nominate WPI for the American Express Members Project

TheMoonIsBlue

HELP THE WHITTEMORE PETERSON INSTITUTE WIN $1 MILLION DOLLARS!

http://www.takepart.com/membersproject/vote

******Right next to where it says "Can't find an organization in our list?"---> There is a link that says Suggest a charity*******
Simply write "The Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro Immune Disease" and Select "Nevada" for the state, enter your email address, and add a few lines (or as much info as your want) about why you you are nominating them.Or visit the WPI website for more info- it's right on their main page. I also copied this from the site:

October 11, 2010: The Whittemore Peterson Institute would like your help in nominating us for the American Express Members Project.
[read details...]

Please take the time to write in by clicking on the "Electronic Nomination Form" link below. While we are encouraging our patients to speak from the heart in the comment section of the electronic nomination form, we know some will want a specific suggestion as to what to say. Please feel free to cut and paste the copy below to help nominate us. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email us at info@wpinstitute.org.

The Whittemore Peterson Institute is a non-profit institution whose mission is to serve the millions around the world who suffer from chronic inflammatory neuroimmune diseases such as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic fatigue syndrome or ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, gulf war syndrome, autism and other similarly presenting illnesses. WPI's current activities include the development of a comprehensive medical research program, educating the public and medical professionals on the most recent advances, while continuing to seek federal medical research funding on behalf of all those who suffer from these debilitating diseases.

As a patient centered organization, WPI supports the search for effective treatments and the prevention of neuroimmune diseases. To accomplish the goal of rapid translation from its basic and clinical research to the medical profession, WPI has created collaborative networks among academic, scientific and medical institutions while continuing to engage with other major health related companies. In August, the Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease (WPI), 501(c)3 corporation, celebrated the opening of a new $77 million dollar clinical research facility at the University of Nevada medical school in Reno, Nevada of which they are an integral part. They are the first institute in the world to integrate research, education and soon, medical treatment of neuro-immune diseases, such as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. Even before the official grand opening, they made a break-through discovery that has provided hope to millions of people worldwide who suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, (CFS), an often seriously-debilitating disorder that profoundly impairs a person's ability to hold a job, care for their families and even continue taking care of their most basic needs. Many become home bound and isolated from their friends and family due to the loss of physical stamina and other debilitating symptoms. WPI's discovery of the strong association between the third human retrovirus (XMRV) and those with CFS and other similar neuro-immune diseases, has significant implications for potential treatment of millions in the U.S. and around the world as well and preventing disease of millions more. Although this institute is located in Nevada, the WPI and its collaborators have already made a significant impact in this field through their active participation at the first International XMRV workshop and commitment to the blood safety working groups of Canada and the United States.

http://www.takepart.com/membersproject/vote Right nex to where it says: Can't find an organization in our list? There is a link that says "SUGGEST A CHARITY" Click on this, Fill out the form for WPI, your email address, and the reason why you are nominating them

[B]WPI is still in the Nomination phase.......if they receive enough nominations they could be in the running for the next round of voting, if selected, to win ONE MILLION DOLLARS. So everyone, PLEASE Nominate them, Send the link to your friends and family!

TheMoonIsBlue

All I know is you can nominate WPI. If you visit the WPI's website the info is right on the main page about how to nominate them. :)

citybug

I did it. It felt great, a little testifying. Yes wpi has non-profit status which is a charity.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Okay done, good idea to forward the link it on. TheMoonisblue can I repost your original post onto another site?

TheMoonIsBlue

Okay done, good idea to forward the link it on. TheMoonisblue can I repost your original post onto another site?

Sure- I copied the info from WPI's website.I just updated the original post as I'm not sure if one needs to go to a different link to register to vote or if nominating a charity is different than voting for a charity that is already listed. Maybe next week we can try asking WPI.

I hope this post gets more attention- every PR member or visitor please try to vote!

TheMoonIsBlue

Replying again for more people to see......especially important now, looks like they are not getting any money from the government right now. 1 million dollars could do a lot. Please vote. Contact WPI if you have any questions.

TheMoonIsBlue

Is everyone still Nominating?? It takes about 20 seconds and it is ONE MILLION DOLLARS at Stake.....! 1/4 of what the CDC has been giving every year for this disease! We need Money Money Money..... :)

Please use the link I provided in my original post......there may be some defect in one of the other links.....(people have noticed the page going blank/resetting after submitting using a different link)

WPI is the only place that is conducting comprehensive, cutting edge research into ME/CFS........Any chance the ME/CFS community gets to help them obtain funds for much needed research will help everyone afflicted with this disease. Please Help :) No one knows how long it will take for funds/grants from the Government to come in, so projects like this where a million dollars is at stake could REALLY help

3CFIDS@ourhouse

still me
I just nominated WPI. I get overwhelmed with things like this, but thanks to your link, TMIB, it was not hard. I just copied some excerpts that you had on your post, added a sentence of my own, and clicked the button. It's easy, everyone, go for it!

TheMoonIsBlue

If anyone has a Facebook page, that would be a great place to post this information-get as many nominations as possible, Spread the word (and the link!)

citybug

You can vote for the current charities once a week. WPI and Pandora are still up for nomination. If they are selected the voting will start once a week in January, but first they have to be nominated by a lot of people and selected by Amex.

TheMoonIsBlue

Yes, we are just nominating them right now so they can hopefully make the list of charities to vote on. So we need a lot of nominations!

TheMoonIsBlue

Hey everyone! Please keep Nominating WPI! I just did again and if you use the link I posted you will receive a pop up acknowledgement now WITH "Thank you for nominating the Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro Immune Disease" (assuming that is exactly what you typed in) Before it just went blank, I don't know why. So......... Keep nominating! :)

If they get enough nominations and are selected for the next round of voting they could be in the running for One Million Dollars. They could do a lot more testing with a million dollars.