• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nominate WPI for $200,000 from American Express

jace

Off the fence
http://www.takepart.com/membersproject/vote/nominate/

If you do nothing else today, please take a few minutes to click on the link above, and nominate the WPI for AMEX funds. Here are suggestions of what to put in the boxes you'll find there.

For the name:
The Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease

For comments:
The Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro Immune Disease exists to bring discovery, knowledge, and effective treatments to patients with illnesses that are caused by acquired dysregulation of both the immune system and the nervous system, often resulting in life long disease and disability.

Whittemore Peterson Institute
University of Nevada, Reno MS 0552
1664 N. Virginia St.
Reno, NV 89557-0552
(775) 682-8250
info@wpinstitute.org

Let us know on this thread that you've done it, so we can keep this thread bouncing at the top of this forum ;)

Francelle

Is it going to be detrimental to the applicaton if we all write the same comments? Would it be better if our brains allow to write something different so it doesn't look contrived?

jace

Off the fence
Either way. I wrote something else myself. Just trying to make it easy for foggy brains.

Nielk

Just took care of it.
It only took about 4 minutes of my time.
I feel good that I started my day on a positive note.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Thanks Jace - just voted!

What are the rules - is it just based on number of votes per charity? And can they win lesser amounts also?

jace

Off the fence
I can't take the credit, I just spread the work done by others... ;) We are all on the same side, after all.

jace

Off the fence
Brilliant stuff, guys. Thanks cfidsurfer, camas, helen and emmanuelle, Francelle, Nielk, SpecialK82, frenchtulip, jstefi glenp and ballard.

More info: Winners of the cash need to fulfill the following criteria:

1. be operationally stable
2. have a presence across the US
3. have a clear and meaningful mission
4. have a broad support base
5. serve diverse audiences
6. be a U.S. based 501c3

Obviously, the WPI does all those things. Pandora are asking for people to nominate both Pandora and the WPI - here's their suggestion of the comment wording
In August, the Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease (WPI), 501(c)3 corporation, celebrated the opening of their $77 million facility at the University of Nevada. According to their press release, they are the first institute in the world to integrate research, education and treatment of neuro-immune diseases, such as Autism Spectrum Disorders, Atypical Multiple Sclerosis, Gulf War Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (also known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis), and Fibromyalgia. Even before the official grand opening, they made a break-through discovery that has provided hope to millions of people worldwide who suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, an often seriously-debilitating disorder that takes away a person's ability to do most activities, including daily grooming. The retrovirus discovery (XMRV) and possible treatment discoveries have implications for potential treatment for millions in the U.S. and around the world. It also has the potential of preventing disease in millions more.

Of course, people can write their own words too.

Thanks again, all you lovely people. Together we are strong :wink:

Dolphin

Here's a quick ramble I sent in, FWIW:
I have been housebound with ME/CFS for over 16 years and ill in total 22 years. It took over 5 years for me to get diagnosed. In that time, I went from being mildly affected to being severely affected. If I had been diagnosed earlier, I doubt very much I would have become so ill. With better knowledge of the aetiology and pathophysiology, diagnostic tests should be possible. As well as possibly treatments. The WPI are at the forefront of making this happen. Research into Neuro-Immune Diseases is a neglected area - the WPI is bringing hope to many. But it needs more support to achieve its potential.