• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No flush with Niacin

hi,

I am taking B12 1000ug, Mehtylfolate 400ug and Niacin (flush type) 250mg to get some relief form chronic headache.

I do not get any burning sensation after taking niacin. Do i have low histamine level? I dont get cold , flue etc easily.

Regards

Pyrrhus

hi,

I am taking B12 1000ug, Mehtylfolate 400ug and Niacin (flush type) 250mg to get some relief form chronic headache.

I do not get any burning sensation after taking niacin. Do i have low histamine level? I dont get cold , flue etc easily.

Regards

I wouldn't worry if you don't get the flush from niacin.
It may be that not everybody experiences flushing.

But 250mg is a very high dose. The recommended dose is 15mg.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@adnan012 - interesting - this is the first I've heard of the niacin flush being related to histamine levels. As to the RDA of 15 mg., I don't go by the RDA. I have found that I need much higher levels of most nutrients than the RDA. I take 400 mg. niacin before bed (it helps me go to sleep) and 200 mg. more in the middle of the night for sleep. I arrived at this through trial and error, and I also ran these doses by my doctor.

I think the RDA is meaningless for most people with ME/CFS. I do believe we have difficulty absorbing and metabolizing the nutrients we need and that's why many if not most of us need high doses of certain nutrients, much higher than a normal person would. I never needed high doses of anything before developing ME/CFS.

Pyrrhus

I arrived at this through trial and error, and I also ran these doses by my doctor.

Great! Trial and error is ultimately the best way we learn what works for us.

The only problem I have heard related to high-dose niacin is that it stresses the liver. I don't know how true this is, though...

Mary

Moderator Resource
The only problem I have heard related to high-dose niacin is that it stresses the liver. I don't know how true this is, though...
You're right, high-dose niacin can stress the liver. This is why I ran it by my doctor, who said that a dose of 500 mg. 2 x a day was safe. He said the problem with niacin was associated with time-release or sustained-release niacin - where the liver is constantly bathed in niacin, with no break - see https://www.ijbcp.com/index.php/ijbcp/article/view/2285

Pyrrhus

You're right, high-dose niacin can stress the liver. This is why I ran it by my doctor, who said that a dose of 500 mg. 2 x a day was safe. He said the problem with niacin was associated with time-release or sustained-release niacin - where the liver is constantly bathed in niacin, with no break - see https://www.ijbcp.com/index.php/ijbcp/article/view/2285

...and now I vaguely remember you setting me straight on niacin before... this time I might remember!

But back to the histamine question- the research I saw on niacin flush was that it was due to macrophages in the skin, not mast cells in the skin. So it may not have any relation to histamine. (But I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that mast cells actually have a role, too.)

GreenEdge

I take Niacin (flush type) 500mg about 20mins before exercise. It opens the blood vessels and seems to give me more energy. I then need to be extra careful not to go too hard with my floor exercises. I work on core strength, particularly hip/pelvis stability (for walking) and also shoulder stability (for swimming). Tai Chi and regular short walks (on uneven ground in peaceful setting) also helps.

I've found that if I take Niacin soon after having eaten a meal I don't get a flush. To get a flush, I've found best to take it on empty stomach with a glass of water (B vitamins are water soluble). If I still don't get a flush I take a second glass of water and that has always worked for me.

You build up a tolerance to niacin flushing. When I first began taking it I would flush with 200mg, now only 3g+ works. I think your tolerance also has a lot to do with methylation status.

GreenEdge

You build up a tolerance to niacin flushing. When I first began taking it I would flush with 200mg, now only 3g+ works. I think your tolerance also has a lot to do with methylation status.

I still get flushing with taking 100mg on a empty stomach with a glass of water. I sometimes take 250mg for a strong flush (for headache) because that's what I purchased originally and still have some.

In my experience, if the effect starts to wear off, I take TMG (Trimethylglycine (aka. Betaine)) to provide methyl groups to replace those depleted by using Niacin. Or I take both together to prevent that from happening.

Last edited:

Viala

It is interesting to know that we have different reactions to niacin. I tried to build up tolerance, but I still flush even with small doses. It is sometimes random and I flush with a dose that was fine on previous days. It takes about ten minutes to kick in and then I know that I will be soon beetroot red.

I still get flushing with taking 100mg on a empty stomach with a glass of water. I sometimes take 250mg for a strong flush (for headache) because that's what I purchased originally and still have some.

In my experience, if the effect starts to wear off, I take TMG (Trimethylglycine (aka. Betaine)) to provide methyl groups to replace those depleted by using Niacin. Or I take both together to prevent that from happening.

Thanks for reply.

I just purchased TMG. I will updates later.

Jadzhia

This is an interesting thread! I have histamine intolerance and flush badly from nicotinamide, along with intense itching. An amount of just 50 mg set me off. I had bought Solgar's '50' B-complex and didn't realise it had the flushing version. It's very unpleasant for me so I avoid it, even if it lasts only 15 mins. Also, having been through the menopause with hot flushes my only symptom, I am very keen to avoid any more heat even if it is 'just' a flush!!

I finally got my hands on some nicotinic acid today and took 500mg with betaine at dinner tonight. I felt nothing for almost an hour so I thought it was all done, but then it hit me. As someone who rarely gets allergic reactions, it was an interesting and new experience for me. My family looked at me and asked if I had too many alcoholic drinks, haha.

It's been 6 hours and the feeling is like I just got out of a hot shower. I'm looking forward to continuing the therapy and seeing how my body handles niacin. I think I will cut down to 250mg tomorrow and then gradually go from there.

I also want to add that the flushing coincidentally started coming on strong when I started snacking on a roasted beet that just came out of the oven. Could it be the betaine in the beet that made the reaction stronger?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Could it be the betaine in the beet that made the reaction stronger?

I think beets have inorganic nitrates. I think they can cause vasodilation which if the niacin was doing that already then maybe a double whammy between the two.