No flush with Niacin

hi,

I am taking B12 1000ug, Mehtylfolate 400ug and Niacin (flush type) 250mg to get some relief form chronic headache.

I do not get any burning sensation after taking niacin. Do i have low histamine level? I dont get cold , flue etc easily.

Regards

Pyrrhus

hi,

I am taking B12 1000ug, Mehtylfolate 400ug and Niacin (flush type) 250mg to get some relief form chronic headache.

I do not get any burning sensation after taking niacin. Do i have low histamine level? I dont get cold , flue etc easily.

Regards
I wouldn't worry if you don't get the flush from niacin.
It may be that not everybody experiences flushing.

But 250mg is a very high dose. The recommended dose is 15mg.

Hope this helps.

Mary

@adnan012 - interesting - this is the first I've heard of the niacin flush being related to histamine levels. As to the RDA of 15 mg., I don't go by the RDA. I have found that I need much higher levels of most nutrients than the RDA. I take 400 mg. niacin before bed (it helps me go to sleep) and 200 mg. more in the middle of the night for sleep. I arrived at this through trial and error, and I also ran these doses by my doctor.

I think the RDA is meaningless for most people with ME/CFS. I do believe we have difficulty absorbing and metabolizing the nutrients we need and that's why many if not most of us need high doses of certain nutrients, much higher than a normal person would. I never needed high doses of anything before developing ME/CFS.

Pyrrhus

I arrived at this through trial and error, and I also ran these doses by my doctor.
Great! Trial and error is ultimately the best way we learn what works for us.

The only problem I have heard related to high-dose niacin is that it stresses the liver. I don't know how true this is, though...

Mary

The only problem I have heard related to high-dose niacin is that it stresses the liver. I don't know how true this is, though...
You're right, high-dose niacin can stress the liver. This is why I ran it by my doctor, who said that a dose of 500 mg. 2 x a day was safe. He said the problem with niacin was associated with time-release or sustained-release niacin - where the liver is constantly bathed in niacin, with no break - see https://www.ijbcp.com/index.php/ijbcp/article/view/2285

Pyrrhus

You're right, high-dose niacin can stress the liver. This is why I ran it by my doctor, who said that a dose of 500 mg. 2 x a day was safe. He said the problem with niacin was associated with time-release or sustained-release niacin - where the liver is constantly bathed in niacin, with no break - see https://www.ijbcp.com/index.php/ijbcp/article/view/2285
...and now I vaguely remember you setting me straight on niacin before... this time I might remember!

But back to the histamine question- the research I saw on niacin flush was that it was due to macrophages in the skin, not mast cells in the skin. So it may not have any relation to histamine. (But I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that mast cells actually have a role, too.)

I take Niacin (flush type) 500mg about 20mins before exercise. It opens the blood vessels and seems to give me more energy. I then need to be extra careful not to go too hard with my floor exercises. I work on core strength, particularly hip/pelvis stability (for walking) and also shoulder stability (for swimming). Tai Chi and regular short walks (on uneven ground in peaceful setting) also helps.

I've found that if I take Niacin soon after having eaten a meal I don't get a flush. To get a flush, I've found best to take it on empty stomach with a glass of water (B vitamins are water soluble). If I still don't get a flush I take a second glass of water and that has always worked for me.

You build up a tolerance to niacin flushing. When I first began taking it I would flush with 200mg, now only 3g+ works. I think your tolerance also has a lot to do with methylation status.