• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nitric oxide nasal spray for covid-19

Hip

Do you think the spray might act as a preventative if someone used it in advance of being in a high risk situation (in a crowd of people or in a situation where others were not wearing masks)? Also, in a situation in which someone learned very quickly that they had just been exposed to someone with COVID (but they did not yet have any symptoms themselves).

Yes, the Enovid nasal spray is actually sold as a COVID preventative. On this website which sells the spray for $45, they say:
Enovid shields against viruses and should be administered before and after suspected exposure to viruses by individuals in high-risk environments (i.e. public transportation, health care settings, day cares, shopping centers, sports events, etc)
Enovid may be applied 2-3 times over the course of the day or up to 5 times a day following suspected exposure to viruses.

One spray bottle would last around a month if you used 2 to 3 sprays a day. That makes it a little expensive at $45 per month. But if you only used as a preventative on risky situations, then it would be cheaper.

Hip

That looks interesting and I'm going to read through the link when I have more time. I have never heard of this product but maybe it is just in the research stages?

It's not a ready-made product that you can buy, it's just standard povidone-iodine solution (which is used as a medical disinfectant) that has been diluted down to 1%.

Mary

Moderator Resource
One way to raise Nitric Oxide levels in the body is to consume some organic beet root juice powder (I mix this in with my smoothies). Whether or not it might help prevent COVID infection, I can't say. But I sure feel better since regularly using this and other organic juice powders, like wheatgrass, celery, pineapple, tart cherry, etc. It's considerably improved my digestion.

41m4hkixv1l-_sy180_-jpg.46757

Organic Beet Root Juice Powder - All Natural Nitric Oxide Booster Supplement - Support Long Lasting Endurance - Great Pre or Post Workout Drink Mix - Raw, Gluten Free, Non GMO, Vegan, & Kosher - 1 lb
@Wayne - I was about to do a post asking if anyone could recommend a good beet powder supplement! There are so many out there and a lot of them are just no good. I want to use it for my BP (which has gotten high for unknown reasons) and also sleep. So thank you! I'm going to order some today :)

Here's an article about NO helping with sleep, or, rather, reducing NO to help prevent sleep. Need To Pull An All-nighter? Reducing Nitric Oxide Gas In The Brain May Help Us Stay Awake -- ScienceDaily

Gingergrrl

It's not a ready-made product that you can buy, it's just standard povidone-iodine solution (which is used as a medical disinfectant) that has been diluted down to 1%.

Thanks and I haven't had a chance to read it yet but will definitely have more questions once I do :)

Hip

I tried some 1% povidone-iodine nasal spray at the beginning of the pandemic, as a preventative measure against catching COVID.

The strange think was that sometimes it would be fine when sprayed in my nose, other times it would be pretty painful. Painful enough so that had to get some saline nasal spray to help clear out the povidone-iodine I'd just sprayed into my nose.

I just made up another nasal spray bottle a few days ago, and got the same results: fine on some days, pretty painful on others. Strange.

I am not sure if others will get this pain side effect, but if this is common, then it may be an issue with povidone-iodine nasal sprays.

Gingergrrl

@Hip I wanted to let you (and anyone else following this thread) that the Enovid nasal spray arrived tonight from Israel (and it looks exactly like the image on the website). It expires in May 2022 or 30-days after opening it (whichever comes first). If I know with certainty that I have been directly exposed to COVID (or if I were to test positive for COVID), then I am going to try the spray. But I am hoping that I will never need to use it! :)

marcjf

I also ordered without issues. I have to take a flight this month, and I do not want to risk it. I will be using it everyday. If you order 2 bottles ($90), the shipping fee is waived.

It is a pity that once you open it, you have to use it within 30 days (according to the instructions).
I may consider using Taffix in the future, as it is considerably cheaper. I just wish they had more solid data. They are promoting their product based on an open label trial.

Gingergrrl

I also ordered without issues. I have to take a flight this month, and I do not want to risk it. I will be using it everyday. If you order 2 bottles ($90), the shipping fee is waived.

That is really smart to use it for a flight! After you try the Enovid, will you post back in this thread? I am very curious to hear how it works for you and if you have any side effects from it. I also appreciate the info that if you buy two bottles that they will waive the $20 shipping fee.

It is a pity that once you open it, you have to use it within 30 days (according to the instructions).

I agree that was disappointing but it makes sense.

I may consider using Taffix in the future, as it is considerably cheaper.

I have already forgotten (from earlier in this thread :headslap:), is Taffix a generic version of Enovid or is it a totally different product w/different ingredients?

I just wish they had more solid data. They are promoting their product based on an open label trial.

I agree but I think this product has real potential (as long as it does not have horrible side effects, either in general or for someone who has a history of allergic reactions like me). I trust the data and science from Israel re: COVID (as much as is known at this time which of course is still limited).

Edited to Add: I wanted to clarify above when I said that I thought the product had real potential, I was talking about the Enovid (not Taffix which I still need to read more about).

Last edited:

marcjf

I have already forgotten (from earlier in this thread :headslap:), is Taffix a generic version of Enovid or is it a totally different product w/different ingredients?

They are different products, from different companies, but both have a connection with Israel for some reason.
Enovid, the one we ordered, went to a proper Phase 2 placebo controlled trial. Here is the paper: https://sanotize.com/wp-content/upl...-the-treatment-of-mild-COVID-19-infection.pdf
They are on the way to Phase 3 trials now.

Taffix, on the other hand, had a open label trial in Israel: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14787210.2021.1908127

As mode of use goes, they also seem to be slightly different. Enovid claims that it kills the virus in the upper airways, so it could be used as either prophylaxis (recommended 2x day), or on early exposure (recommended 5x day).

Taffix is not claiming to do that. They claim it has to be used as a prophylatic. You spray it before going out, and that should leave you protected for 5 hours. It is more like a "condom" for your nose. Also, it does not seem to have that weird 30-day rule to be used before it expires. They sell it through their own website (https://taffixprotect.com/family/), but only ship it within Europe.

Sure, I can come back and talk about my experience. Hopefully there won't be much to talk about, as I really just want to avoid reinfection (I am a Covid Long Hauler). I started using it yesterday, and so far no side effects.

Wayne

Just got the following email today:

Dear Friends of Hidden Springs,​
We recently found out that there is an ingredient in the nitric oxide nasal spray Enovid, Benzalkonium chloride, that "may cause irritation or swelling inside the nose, especially if used for a long time."​
I'm upset that Benzalkonium chloride is not listed as an ingredient on the company website, or the IsraelOPharm website. We only saw it on the bottle after we ordered it. We will still use Enovid occasionally for high risk of exposure situations, like flying, but will no longer use it every day. -- You can learn more from the Environmental Working Group website:​

marcjf

Just got the following email today:

Dear Friends of Hidden Springs,​
We recently found out that there is an ingredient in the nitric oxide nasal spray Enovid, Benzalkonium chloride, that "may cause irritation or swelling inside the nose, especially if used for a long time."​
I'm upset that Benzalkonium chloride is not listed as an ingredient on the company website, or the IsraelOPharm website. We only saw it on the bottle after we ordered it. We will still use Enovid occasionally for high risk of exposure situations, like flying, but will no longer use it every day. -- You can learn more from the Environmental Working Group website:​

Thanks for sharing that.
I was planning to use it for high-risk situations, not because of the ingredients, but due to the price. Unfortunately the product has a very short expiration date, so it is hard to do that as well.

But I would like to understand the risk a bit more, cause I am not sure why Enovid is being singled out. This compound is used everywhere in personal hygiene products. It is part of eye drops, hand sanitizers, mouthwash, etc. Should we be watching these as well?

nerd

I currently use a Carrageenan nasal spray, which is widely available and looks very promising not only for Coronaviruses but for herpes and other viruses as well.

Efficacy of a Nasal Spray Containing Iota-Carrageenan in the Postexposure Prophylaxis of COVID-19 in Hospital Personnel Dedicated to Patients Care with COVID-19 Disease (July 2021) [10.2147/IJGM.S328486]

Carrageenan nasal spray may double the rate of recovery from coronavirus and influenza virus infections: Re-analysis of randomized trial data (August 2021) [10.1002/prp2.810]

A RANDOMIZED TRIAL - INTENSIVE TREATMENT BASED IN IVERMECTIN AND IOTA-CARRAGEENAN AS PRE-EXPOSURE PROPHYLAXIS FOR COVID- 19 IN HEALTHCARE AGENTS (March 2021) [10.1101/2021.03.26.21254398]

The Saliva of Probands Sucking an Iota-Carrageenan Containing Lozenge Inhibits Viral Binding and Replication of the Most Predominant Common Cold Viruses and SARS-CoV-2 (September 2021) [10.2147/IJGM.S325861]

SARS-CoV-2 in-vitro neutralization assay reveals inhibition of virus entry by iota-carrageenan (July 2020) [10.1101/2020.07.28.224733]

Iota-carrageenan neutralizes SARS-CoV-2 and inhibits viral replication in vitro (February 2021) [10.1371/journal.pone.0237480]

Press Article: Virologists in Erlangen report promising initial study results for an active ingredient from red algae (April 2021) [FAU link]

Press Article: Marinomed Biotech AG shares positive clinical trial results for iota-carrageenan nasal spray in the prevention of COVID-19 (February 2021) [Marino MED]

Unsurprisingly, fact checks also classify this as "misinformation". Because so much harm is done when people try to repurpose safe drugs that could potentially protect against a SARS-CoV-2 infection, unlike the infection itself, which isn't harmful?!

Gingergrrl

Sure, I can come back and talk about my experience. Hopefully there won't be much to talk about, as I really just want to avoid reinfection (I am a Covid Long Hauler). I started using it yesterday, and so far no side effects.

That would be great if you can share anything more re: your experience with using this product. Did you end up having any side effects from it (or notice anything at all)?

Unfortunately the product has a very short expiration date, so it is hard to do that as well.

I agree that seems to be the biggest down-side.

But I would like to understand the risk a bit more, cause I am not sure why Enovid is being singled out. This compound is used everywhere in personal hygiene products. It is part of eye drops, hand sanitizers, mouthwash, etc. Should we be watching these as well?

I have not used the Enovid yet (and bought it for an extreme situation such as if I ever needed to fly on a plane). But re: the Benzalkonium Chloride ingredient, I also was not sure why it was being singled out in regard to Enovid when it seems to be a common ingredient in many products. I checked and this ingredient is in my Zaditor (Ketotifen) eye drops that I use 2x/day and I have never had any problems w/it.

Abha

Abha
I currently use a Carrageenan nasal spray, which is widely available and looks very promising not only for Coronaviruses but for herpes and other viruses as well.

@Nerd Re the Carraeenan nasal spray that you use ....What brand is it and is it expensive?How long have you usd it for ?What benefit has it provided for you so far?...Thanks...

nerd

the Carraeenan nasal spray that you use ....What brand is it and is it expensive?How long have you usd it for ?What benefit has it provided for you so far?...Thanks...

My brand in Germany is called Algovir. It's sold for ca. 12 USD for 20ml. The patented ingredient, the carrageenan, is branded under the name Carragelose. There are many manufacturers that reuse this ingredient with different formulations. Theoretically, they could even combine multiple antiviral ingredients. Ivermectin is one, astodrimer another. They might even work as inhaled drugs. Some studies investigated iota against pulmonary damage and it's also used as an additive in topical formulations against inflammatory skin conditions.

The price is quite cheap. It's also widely used as an additive in the food industry and this has received some criticism, which might be deserved when they basically use a potent compound just for its emulsifying effects. But intranasally and topically, it's completely safe, orally presumably as well, but it would be interesting to see some animal studies on systemic antiviral use and a clarification if it affects the microbiome, so that it isn't a selective antibiotic as well.

Theoretically, you could create your own intranasal spray from affordable food-grade iota, which I found for ca. 25 USD for 250g, but it's not directly water soluble. As far as I can tell, it can be permeantly dissolved by temperating it in saline, the sodium buffer is also necessary for the skin to not get irritated from the pH of pure water. The solution can be used for the nasal cavity but also as a mouth spray.

I haven't used it for more than a week now, but I hope that it helps with my nasal breathing issues at night, and the sore throats / pharyngitis (if it's really viral, I don't know). Perhaps, I'll try to create my own to see how it dissolves and so that I can fill it in a proper mouth spray applicator. The nasal applicator isn't really made for that.