NIH RFA announcements and Feb 1 NIH teleconference

medfeb

NIH just sent out the following message

The Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group has issued two Requests for Applications for ME/CFS research. You can view the funding opportunity announcements at:

https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-NS-17-022.html
https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-NS-17-021.html

In addition, we request your participation in a telebriefing about updates on NIH’s efforts to advance research on ME/CFS. The telebriefing will be held on February 1, 2017, 3:00 until 4:00 pm ET. If you will be calling from the U.S., please use the following dial-in information for the telebriefing.

Dial-in: 888-989-3480
Participant passcode: 5130891

If you will be calling from another country, please see the attached chart for your country’s access information.
Please remember to RSVP to NIHME-CFSWorkingG@ninds.nih.gov if you plan to participate in the call.

Thank you in advance for your participation and we look forward to an engaging, thoughtful and productive conversation.

Regards,
The Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group

A.B.

Reading the RFA on collaborative researcher centers.

ME/CFS is a debilitating and complex disorder that severely impacts the lives of an estimated 800,000 to 2 million Americans, with 25% or more of the individuals either house- or bed-bound. The underlying etiology and pathophysiology of ME/CFS are unknown and there is no diagnostic test for the disease. Therefore, there is currently no gold standard for case definition of ME/CFS. For studies proposed under this FOA, it is recommended that the investigators utilize the Canadian Consensus Criteria for ME/CFS as proposed by Carruther and colleagues in 2003 and revised by Jason and colleagues in 2010, and the recent case definition from the Institute of Medicine Report on ME/CFS.
Definitions where post-exertional malaise is required are recommended.

The section of research areas of interest is pretty good, with a few exceptions as it highlights somatization and personality disorders and does recommend research on mind body approaches for symptom management. That said it seems to be written to cover a broad range of topics, in a sort of "make everyone happy" way. It seems we won't be able to get rid of psychobabble completely. At least for now.

BurnA

RFA-NS-17-021 said:
Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards
Issuing IC and partner componentsintend to commit an estimated total of $750,000 direct costs to fund 1 award contingent upon NIH appropriations and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.

Award Budget
Applicants may request up to $750,000 direct costs per year.

BurnA

RFA-NS-17- 022 said:
Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards
NINDS and participating ICs intends to commit $6 million in FY 2017 to fund 2-3 awards. Future year amounts will depend on annual appropriations

Award Budget
Application budgets are limited to $1,200,000 per year, and need to reflect the actual needs of the proposed project.