• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH RFA announcements and Feb 1 NIH teleconference

medfeb

NIH just sent out the following message

The Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group has issued two Requests for Applications for ME/CFS research. You can view the funding opportunity announcements at:

https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-NS-17-022.html
https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-NS-17-021.html

In addition, we request your participation in a telebriefing about updates on NIH’s efforts to advance research on ME/CFS. The telebriefing will be held on February 1, 2017, 3:00 until 4:00 pm ET. If you will be calling from the U.S., please use the following dial-in information for the telebriefing.

Dial-in: 888-989-3480
Participant passcode: 5130891

If you will be calling from another country, please see the attached chart for your country’s access information.
Please remember to RSVP to NIHME-CFSWorkingG@ninds.nih.gov if you plan to participate in the call.

Thank you in advance for your participation and we look forward to an engaging, thoughtful and productive conversation.

Regards,
The Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group

A.B.

Reading the RFA on collaborative researcher centers.

ME/CFS is a debilitating and complex disorder that severely impacts the lives of an estimated 800,000 to 2 million Americans, with 25% or more of the individuals either house- or bed-bound. The underlying etiology and pathophysiology of ME/CFS are unknown and there is no diagnostic test for the disease. Therefore, there is currently no gold standard for case definition of ME/CFS. For studies proposed under this FOA, it is recommended that the investigators utilize the Canadian Consensus Criteria for ME/CFS as proposed by Carruther and colleagues in 2003 and revised by Jason and colleagues in 2010, and the recent case definition from the Institute of Medicine Report on ME/CFS.

Definitions where post-exertional malaise is required are recommended.

The section of research areas of interest is pretty good, with a few exceptions as it highlights somatization and personality disorders and does recommend research on mind body approaches for symptom management. That said it seems to be written to cover a broad range of topics, in a sort of "make everyone happy" way. It seems we won't be able to get rid of psychobabble completely. At least for now.

RFA-NS-17-021 said:
Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards
Issuing IC and partner componentsintend to commit an estimated total of $750,000 direct costs to fund 1 award contingent upon NIH appropriations and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.

Award Budget
Applicants may request up to $750,000 direct costs per year.

RFA-NS-17- 022 said:
Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards
NINDS and participating ICs intends to commit $6 million in FY 2017 to fund 2-3 awards. Future year amounts will depend on annual appropriations

Award Budget
Application budgets are limited to $1,200,000 per year, and need to reflect the actual needs of the proposed project.