• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH research findings: mTOR

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@HTester - if you can share, any thoughts on this?
For some reason, I don't know if he sees these. You tagged him in the Prusty thread too and he hasn't responded yet.

That doesn't seem like him so maybe he doesn't have that set up in notification settings...idk. (shrug) ???

I'll link this and the Prusty thread in one of his threads and see if he will respond 'cause I would like to know too. :)

Edit: Oops, I put the message to him on Ben's thread but he's been answering questions there so hopefully he'll see it. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...now-called-infa-itaconate-shunt-part-2.89388/

Last edited:

Tsukareta

This was interesting so just to summarize what I heard for those that are too busy or severely ill - Simmaron research ( I thought based in Oxford but here it said they were doing work in other countries ) found elevated levels of a thing called ATG13 using a sort of plate of antibody spots that bind to various compounds in the body that they think are relative to something called Autophagy ( not to be confused with apoptosis ). In the ME/CFS patients they found that this test showed higher levels of ATG13 in the SERUM ( a fractional component from peoples blood ), compared to healthy 'controls' i.e. average people who functional well with no apparently chronic disease. They realized this meant that the level of ATG13 inside the bodys cells is lower or that its 'inactivated' i.e. not functioning properly, its being chemically modified ( phosphorylation ) which makes it leave the cell more than usual. They decided this was due to something called MTOR which I have heard of before, so they wanted to test this, and made a drug called SIM501 and gave it to mouse, they found that the mice that were given this drug went on to display some overt signs that indicate they might be experincing something similar to ME/CFS and also PEM, their movements different from normal mice and also the ( electrical ) 'muscle wave' could be measured as different ( has this been correlated with human patients ? ). The unmodified mice recovered from exercise after a short period of rest but the mouse that were given SIM501 did not perform at their normal level even after 2 days, and the mouses grip strength was lower.

Dude

Interessting, thanks for the summary! Do you believe its the same Protein that prusty has found?

From GPT

There is currently no specific medicine available that can renew ATG13 in cells. ATG13 is an important protein involved in the process of autophagy, which is a fundamental cellular mechanism responsible for the degradation and removal of damaged or surplus cellular components.

There are several drugs that can activate the autophagy process in general, and they may indirectly lead to the renewal of ATG13 in cells. For example, rapamycin, which belongs to a group of drugs called mTOR inhibitors, can block the mTOR signaling pathway, which is an important regulator of autophagy. By blocking this pathway, rapamycin can activate the autophagy process, which may lead to the renewal of ATG13 in cells.

However, it is important to note that rapamycin and other mTOR inhibitors are primarily used to treat certain cancers and autoimmune diseases and should only be taken under the supervision of a healthcare professional due to their potential side effects.

Moreover, there are various natural compounds and dietary supplements that can promote autophagy, such as green tea, curcumin, resveratrol, and omega-3 fatty acids. However, their effects on the expression and renewal of ATG13 in cells are not yet fully understood, and further research is needed to evaluate their safety and efficacy.

Hip

After testing ChatGPT extensively for my medical science searches in recent months, I've found it often completely fabricates answers. And if you ask it to provide sources for the statements it makes, ChatGPT will often make up the title of a non-existent study and provide that for reference! So any results have to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Bing Chat (https://bing.com/chat) is a much better AI chatbot to use for medical research. It always provides references for the statements it makes, and those refs usually support the statements.

There is now a browser extension you can use which allows you to use Bing Chat on browsers other than Microsoft Edge.

Wishful

compared to healthy 'controls'

Which means that they may just be measuring a difference between healthy active people and people who are hampered by 'feeling sick'. They should check the levels of some patients with FM, MS, cancer, and other physically-limiting diseases. They should check patients with immune systems activated by other diseases too, in case it correlates with immune function.

While checking for the proper definition of autophagy, I came across this ( https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/signs-of-autophagy ):

"Research suggests that the production of ketone bodies could stimulate autophagy (8, 9).

Therefore, along with indicating that your body is in ketosis, increased ketone levels can be a sign of autophagy."

That's the kind of misinformation I really hate in those advertising-driven health articles. "Suggests" does not mean "this is proven", so any conclusions or recommendations based on it are without much value.

Dude

After testing ChatGPT extensively for my medical science searches in recent months, I've found it often completely fabricates answers. And if you ask it to provide sources for the statements it makes, ChatGPT will often make up the title of a non-existent study and provide that for reference! So any results have to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Bing Chat (https://bing.com/chat) is a much better AI chatbot to use for medical research. It always provides references for the statements it makes, and those refs usually support the statements.

There is now a browser extension you can use which allows you to use Bing Chat on browsers other than Microsoft Edge.
Reminds me of a scene from interstellar where TARS is saying: Absolute honesty isn’t always the most diplomatic nor the safest form of communication with emotional beings.

Forummember9922

To test how unifying this hypothesis would be- Would mTor issue cause microclots downstream? Or rather would lack of autophagy cause microclots?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
I’m trying to get my head around the inflammatory demyelination. EMGs from pwME should be abnormal then, right?

What am I missing?

hapl808

Are you using 4.0 or 3.5? I found that 3.5 was really bad at that, to a degree that you had to triple check every answer and citations were wrong 100% of the time. I think 4.0 has improved a lot. Still citations are much better in Bing, but the veracity of answers in 4.0 for medical research is far better than 3.5.

Wishful

What am I missing?
What the people behind the claims want you to miss? There are lots of claims that focus on some logical-sounding theory, but ignore common observations that contradict the claim. "Drug x theoretically should reduce this symptom!!! However, many people with that disease have taken that drug but showed no reduction, which pretty much disproves the theory."

For this specific study, I doubt that they did the "do common observations support or contradict this theory" test. They haven't shown that the finding is unique to ME.

Cipher

Administrator
I've only got access to ChatGPT 4.0 via https://poe.com, which only allows one query on 4.0 per day, so I've not really used 4.0. Is there a place where you can get free access to 4.0?
It seems like Bing Chat uses ChatGPT 4.0:
We are happy to confirm that the new Bing is running on GPT-4, which we’ve customized for search.
source

I haven't used Bing Chat myself, but it seems like tweaking the chat mode could be useful:
Edit: Microsoft confirmed they're using a smaller model for Balanced, but Creative and Precise remain on the full GPT-4 Prometheus model. (Additional edit: They did NOT say anything about it being GPT-3, and it is quite possibly just a cut down GPT-4 or other LLM) This is by design, and there is nothing to worry about. The CEO of Bing has made it clear that the different chat modes can offer a different experience. Balanced for fast and simple responses, Precise for more grounded responses, and Creative for more detailed and expressive responses. https://www.seroundtable.com/bing-chat-modes-35069.html
source