• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH intramural research program update

Pyrrhus

Wow.

The website New Science has written an excellent, somewhat exhaustive piece about all the strengths and weaknesses of the NIH:
https://newscience.org/nih/

It's a long, fascinating read, but their Table of Contents gives you a good idea of what's in store:

New Science said:
Table of Contents

RL_sparky

Well it looks like we will finally see the intramural study in 2023.
Another interesting piece:

In a separate study set to begin soon, Nath and NINDS clinical fellow Yair Mina plan to test corticosteroids and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) treatments for neurological symptoms in people with PASC. Both medications have been used to treat other autoimmune and neurological disorders.

“If it’s an antibody-mediated phenomenon, the IVIg should probably work,” said Nath. But “if the antibody is causing damage to the endothelial cells, then the corticosteroid should probably work.”

Nath’s lab is also developing therapeutic compounds to target viral RNA. This type of treatment could be effective if PASC turns out to be caused by persistent viral replication

I randomly noticed that Brian Vastag twitter acc appears to be deleted. Its the guy that participated in the Nath study and report on it via twitter regularly. Basically the twitter acc in the post above this one.

Dakota15

FYI @Consul @RL_sparky just sharing this note today from Dr. Vicky Whittemore with NIH on the ME/CFS Intramural Study:

"I just checked and they plan to submit the paper for review within the next month. There have been many people who needed to review the paper at multiple levels at NIH which is what has taken time. They told me they would let me know when it gets submitted for review. It is hard to know how long that review will take – some journals are taking months to review submitted manuscripts, so we can’t predict how long that process will take.Thanks, and hope you are well. Best wishes, Vicky'

FYI @Consul @RL_sparky just sharing this note today from Dr. Vicky Whittemore with NIH on the ME/CFS Intramural Study:
'
Thanks for the info. I was sure this had already been sent for review given their earlier messenges but hey.

The only positive is that they seem to be about to reveal their theory about the endoplasmic reticulum in a few days at some conference. Hope someone will go there and tweet about it.