• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Niacin for Overmethylation

GreenMachineX

Does Niacin stop only overmethylation, or does it stop side effects from methylfolate and methylcobalamin as well? Or, do I have it wrong and the side effects from methylfolate and methylcobalamin come from overmethylation?

I guess I went too far with the b12 and methylfolate (300mcg m-b12 and 500mcg methylfolate) and had a particularly rough night (severe anxiety/hypochondria, jitters, difficult to sleep but melatonin and theanine helped), and now this morning severe nausea and anxiety after breakfast (only took 300mcg b12 and 200mcg methylfolate and whatever is in the rest in 1 cap of Thorne 2 Per Day). I had several decent days when starting with this current dose and up to 300mcg m-b12 and 400mcg methylfolate, but still seemed like something was off hence the reason I added a little more methylfolate. The nausea might be calming down now, but with the anxiety tied to it, I'm ready to go to the ER (hypochondria has taken over). I don't even know what I'd tell them though; I've been to the ER so many times the past 4 years and they've never found anything wrong (except unrelated pulmonary sarcoidosis). I'm sure this is another case of this. So, if I've just taken too much methylfolate the past few days, will niacin help, or only help if it's related to overmethylation? Thanks in advance.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Are you sure the anxiety isn't connected to the pulmonary sarcoidosis?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23461077/

I love when these articles say, "...the reasons for that are unclear." Well, like the patient can't breathe well (dyspnea) and otherwise feels lousy...???? Yeah, I think there's a reason that patients experience that. Yikes. (I'm being snarky to the authors of that paper; not you @GreenMachineX. :hug:

I will tell you that my anxiety got loads better (by about 60-80% at least) when I left behind the idea that I was being a "hypochondriac."

Please don't continue to buy into (and beat yourself up with) that idea.

You have something truly physically wrong with you...ME and pulmonary sarcoidosis and don't let some medical "professional" who has never experienced these tell you there is nothing "wrong."

Be kinder to yourself than they have been.

Edit: Also be careful with the niacin...only take a small amount if you take some as it can be liver toxic.

Last edited:

Carl

Niacin, I used niacinamide, does help to reduce overmethylation because I have used it on the few occasions that I have taken too much B12, folate and TMG. Taking too much TMG too frequently makes my hyper and a little shaky which is not normal for me because another herb I take takes care of anything that my kidney deficiency can create. When I take that herb and it's effect takes a couple of days to wear off even if I do not take it as regularly as I would like.

What are these side effects of methylfolate or B12 other than overmethylation because I am not aware of them?

I have taken enormous amounts of B12 in the past ie 20 to 25mg not mcg without any noticeable negative effects. I now take 2x1mg/day B12 and 2x1mg folate. It's the TMG that can cause me problems if I take over 1.5ml powder at time or too frequently because that is when I get overmethylation.

GreenMachineX

Are you sure the anxiety isn't connected to the pulmonary sarcoidosis?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23461077/

I love when these articles say, "...the reasons for that are unclear." Well, like the patient can't breathe well (dyspnea) and otherwise feels lousy...???? Yeah, I think there's a reason that patients experience that. Yikes. (I'm being snarky to the authors of that paper; not you @GreenMachineX. :hug:

I will tell you that my anxiety got loads better (by about 60-80% at least) when I left behind the idea that I was being a "hypochondriac."

Please don't continue to buy into (and beat yourself up with) that idea.

You have something truly wrong with you...ME and pulmonary sarcoidosis and don't let some medical "professional" who has never experienced these tell you there is nothing "wrong."

Be kinder to yourself than they have been.

Edit: Also be careful with the niacin. It can be liver toxic.
Well, honestly, I've labeled myself a hypochondriac because when the anxiety hits, or if i get something ridiculous in my head, I can't let it go. Yesterday's hypochondria was that I had rhabdomyolosis. My brain latches onto silly things that have never been right.

But yeah, the anxiety might be linked to sarcoidosis, although I'm only stage 1 and shouldn't have symptoms related to it.

I'm pretty sure most of my current situation the past couple months and today is related to getting methylation wrong. I've had similar issues in the past that resulted in ER visits, later to find out I can't handle massive doses of b vitamins. The led to a seesaw battle with b12 and methylfolate, eventually finding a happy medium, but that happy medium isn't working this time.

GreenMachineX

Niacin, I used niacinamide, does help to reduce overmethylation because I have used it on the few occasions that I have taken too much B12, folate and TMG. Taking too much TMG too frequently makes my hyper and a little shaky which is not normal for me because another herb I take takes care of anything that my kidney deficiency can create. When I take that herb and it's effect takes a couple of days to wear off even if I do not take it as regularly as I would like.

What are these side effects of methylfolate or B12 other than overmethylation because I am not aware of them?

I have taken enormous amounts of B12 in the past ie 20 to 25mg not mcg without any noticeable negative effects. I now take 2x1mg/day B12 and 2x1mg folate. It's the TMG that can cause me problems if I take over 1.5ml powder at time or too frequently because that is when I get overmethylation.
When I've overdone methylation or methylfolate, I get severe anxiety (resulting in hypochondria unrelated to what I've actually done, for example "I drank too much water, do I have hyponatremia?!", or "I better not leave the house because I'll get covid again in this state of health!"), insomnia, palpitations, stimulation, freezing cold hands and feet (or while body if I really went too far), and nausea, also if I've really overdone it.

GreenMachineX

Regarding the anxiety, when I've done it right (which gives me different symptoms), then nothing can touch me...no anxiety at all (or very controllable) and mental health is good. Trying to get in the middle of the seesaw again...