• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Niacin (flushing kind) is energizing, while the non-flushing kind (niacinamide) makes me tired

Has anyone else noticed this? If I take 50mg normal niacin (flushing) it seems to contribute to methylation, while if I take 50mg niacinamide, it slows down methylation and too much makes me depressed/lethargic. Niacinamide has been more useful if I'm feeling overmethylated, while niacin does nothing to quench the overmethyation symptoms.

Wishful

How sure are you that it's affecting you through methylation? Niacin has many other effects in the body too. It made me suicidal, I assume by reducing the amount of quinolinic acid that would otherwise have been converted into niacin, to meet my body's needs. It's hard to determine exactly how something is affecting you.

pamojja

I usually alternate, 6 g nicotinic acid every first, 1 g niacinamide every second day. I must be dumb, I don't feel anything :lol:

How sure are you that it's affecting you through methylation? Niacin has many other effects in the body too. It made me suicidal, I assume by reducing the amount of quinolinic acid that would otherwise have been converted into niacin, to meet my body's needs. It's hard to determine exactly how something is affecting you.
No idea. It is making methylfolate more effective thought, where as niacinamide would make me require more methylfolate+methylb12. When taking methylfolate I normally feel the need to take more b12 to "activate" the folate and prevent methyltrap, with niacin it seems to make the methyfolate work better without the need for methylb12 so far. Very strange.