• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Niacin and the gut

ruben

I have had ME/CFS for many years since having had glandular fever. Of course I've naturally had the fatigue, generally unwell, migraines, but I think my most debilitating symptoms have been digestive problems, nausea and bloatedness. No gut pain. Tendency for constipation but then I had that before the ME/CFS anyway. I could cure the constipation though with fruit cubes and prune juice. Not having constipation though didn't make any difference to my general well being. A couple of months ago my nausea and bloatedness became REALLY bad and had been like that for a couple of months. I then read something about niacin and thought I'd try some. 100mg was dose I was taking each day. The effect was more or less immediate. Within a couple of days. Nausea basically gone. Appetite much improved. Able to enjoy snacking too between meals, whereas normally between meals I couldn't even enjoy something like a biscuit. I think I was gaining weight too. Anyway after 3 or 4 weeks the benefits seemed to wain. If I was taking then 100mg daily does anyone have any advice as to what other supplement(s) might enhance any benefits to the niacin. All suggestions much appreciated.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Members were talking in this thread about a doctor who has been working with Long Covid patients and having success with Niacin and co-factors. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-h-e-l-p-treatment.86184/page-16#post-2388795

@anne_likes_red posted a print screen of what he prescribes in post #303.

Maybe adding the co-factors would help. ??

Also @halcyon mentioned toxicity at higher doses on that same page.

Hope you can figure this out especially since it sounds like it was initially helpful for you.

anne_likes_red

I have had ME/CFS for many years since having had glandular fever. Of course I've naturally had the fatigue, generally unwell, migraines, but I think my most debilitating symptoms have been digestive problems, nausea and bloatedness. No gut pain. Tendency for constipation but then I had that before the ME/CFS anyway. I could cure the constipation though with fruit cubes and prune juice. Not having constipation though didn't make any difference to my general well being. A couple of months ago my nausea and bloatedness became REALLY bad and had been like that for a couple of months. I then read something about niacin and thought I'd try some. 100mg was dose I was taking each day. The effect was more or less immediate. Within a couple of days. Nausea basically gone. Appetite much improved. Able to enjoy snacking too between meals, whereas normally between meals I couldn't even enjoy something like a biscuit. I think I was gaining weight too. Anyway after 3 or 4 weeks the benefits seemed to wain. If I was taking then 100mg daily does anyone have any advice as to what other supplement(s) might enhance any benefits to the niacin. All suggestions much appreciated.
I watched this presentation from Chris Masterjohn and decided TMG and glycine might be wise - actually I was already using glycine along with NAC before bed.
Despite adding TMG I have to mention.....my acute positive response to Niacin has waned too. I'm still noticing benefits I think, but the POTS improvement has slipped. :/
Anyway here is CM's video, in case it's helpful...