• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Next CFSAC Meeting - August 18th & 19th, 2015

Denise

Public comment today was provided by
Nancy McGrory (consultant for Hemispherix),
Bob Miller,
Matina Nicholson,
Charmian Proskauer (MassCFIDS),
Deborah Waroff,
Sharon Shaw (I don't know if I caught the name accurately),
Colleen Steckel,
___ Steinberg (Boston area patient and parent of a patient) -again I may not have caught the name properly.

Cheshire

Next slide

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-19_18-5-42.png
    upload_2015-8-19_18-5-42.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 19

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thing with the name is surely that if they defer the decision, the CDC (or whoever's in charge of this now, I forget) will have rolled out with SEID in the meantime. Surely they need to decide now or not bother?

akrasia

Fluge and Mella are using Myalgic Encephalopathy/CFS

B-Lymphocyte Depletion in Myalgic Encephalopathy/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. An Open-Label Phase II Study with Rituximab Maintenance Treatment

I see the IOM report as transitional, a useful stick that increases legitimacy and holds a place of seriousness in the debate, until we have more science.

There is a case for M.E., as Dr. Levine indicates, based on some new research from Montoya and Hornig/Peterson, and on a morale level, as Maryann Fletcher articulated. She understands the struggle people are having keeping up their spirits. I was moved by her concern.

The use of Encephalopathy strikes me as a bit ersatz, gesturing towards Ramsay's definition without having to make a commitment, even if at the moment it seems more accurate.

Initially, I thought SEID might serve short term as a way to transition from CFS. But there's no point, in creating more unhappiness in this community. And M.E. has been the way for many of us, historically speaking, to put down our marker and express defiance toward the insane and immiserating social construction that CFS came to embody.

Last edited:
Back