• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Newest heart rate watch

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have several heart rate watches for my POTS. One with the chest strap that I have worn all day for a long time. Then my dad said I should look into seeing if that transmitter was safe to wear like that since they are usually just for exercise. So I found watches without straps. I had heard they were not as accurate, not true.

Anyway, the problem for me is the way they LOOK. SO ugly and black or bright colors. I want to wear it when we go out, go to church etc. I get all dressed up and then wear an ugly watch. yuck.

I finally found one that is decent. It has HANDS!!!!! I love it, hate the look of digital for dress up. Without the number showing for the heart rate, I think this will look nice, nicer than all others I have found. I WISH someone would have a pretty gold one, but until then this is going to work. I just ordered it.
http://www.sportline.com/product.php?prod=63

LaurelW

That's really lovely compared to the others. Let us know how accurate it is when you get it.

Sallysblooms

I decided to cancel. I have three heart rate watches and one looks just like this one just without the hands. Marg, it was the one with hands, the one in the picture. I can still get it later, just think three is enough for now.

Marg

Yes, I guess three would be enough. LOL Do you really trhink it helps to keep track. I watch it on the bp monitor but don't know if I need to keep track that closely.

I still cannot get over having it and no one got it and I know it went away when I was in remission.

Sallysblooms

I have POTS so it is really important. I watch and if it says 115 or more, I better sit FAST!!!! For CFS it is not all that helpful I am sure.

I have found the heart rate watches with no strap just as good as the others. My hubby was like you... ha. I told him I ordered a new one and he thought three was good. I just keep trying to find cuter ones!!

What does your last sentence mean? Having what? I have to watch my bp too. A lot of people with POTS have low bp, but mine is high. I take med. for it.

Marg

POTS. I had POTS before as well and no one knew it. I was thinking about it and maybe in 94 they had not discovered all the kinds of OI. I think I read there are 6 different kinds. I know I read about NMH but I had borderline high bp then. I now have a low dose beta blocker patch and I drink a lot of water and make an electorlyte drink.

The thing is POTS went away when I had an 8 year remission. I was working in the yard and going to the beach..no problem. Now the sun makes me feel sick again. Now I know that was what it was. I would have to lean against the desk when checking in and out of the doctor's office. I have not found my heart rate to be ever above 90 when I check my bp but was thinking I would know more if I had a watch.

fla

I just bought the Omron heart rate monitor from costco.ca. It has a feature where you can set it to beep if your heart rate goes over a limit that you set. How do other people with POTS choose what is their safe heart rate limit. When doing a standing POTS test my heart rate levels at around 117 but I can't sustain that and will collapse within minutes. I tried a limit of 105 but that beeps very easily with minimal activity. Just wondering how others with POTS use these devices.

Sallysblooms

Glenp, I take Benicar for blood pressure. My blood pressure doesn't go low on the bottom diastolic number. Does on top sometimes. Usually, normal to high. I have not heard that they lower blood volume. I drink a lot of filtered water.

Marg, yes, the watch is very helpful. I really use it all day! I will check to see what it is if I am standing and just use it when I am curious. I have learned a lot about my illness with it and how to deal with the heart rate.

Fla, I have one Omron and two Heart Smart heart rate watches. I do not set them to beep, that would make me crazy. I just look at it when I am up and moving and standing. I have brand new compression knee highs and they have helped.

Marg

I just bought my second Omron, the other was quite a few years old and the velco was not sticking. I thought it time for a new one. Well this one has a stiff sort of tube to put the arm in so it stays put. It also checks my heart rate. I check it differnt times during the day. Dr. Klimas told me to take it before getting out of bed, then sitting on the bed and then I go about my morning routine, shower and all that and take it again, then at various time in the day when doing a log.

Here is something interesting my bp which is the high bp POTS is lower with the new monitor. I had my husband check his bp with it and it is the same as usual so it was time for a new one for me. I am thinking about a watch too so I won't have to deal with the monitor just to get the heart rate. I had a week's log ready to send but now it is a whole new ballgame with the pressure being better, so I will wait a week. The highest the heart rate was today was 87 but I have not done much of anything. I am not sure what a good resting heart rate is..I assume betwee 60 and 70, is that right?

I have noticed this, if something fightens me or a very stressful situation gets adrenaline going it takes a long time for my heart to slow down, do any of you have this problem?

The fire alarm went off once by accident late at night and I thought my heart would never slow down. We finally took the batteries out of the one in the bedroom. We can go out the window if we have to hope that does not happen. LOL

Sally, I did not find that the compression stocking helped me. I had the knee highs first and then thigh high. How did they help you? I thought they made my legs feel tired, maybe I did not wear them long enough. I had the 30-40 compresssion and the 40-50 but never wore the 40-50.
they are very tight.

I read some where there was a place to get compression stockings in all colors but never found it and then I did not see any help so forgot it for a while anyway. I got mine on the Ames site. A friend said the people there are very helpful but I did not call.

Sallysblooms

I use the Medivan brand. Jobst is really good I hear. Mine are not that tight. 16-20. They keep my heart rate down. Otherwise it goes high. I am able to walk better.

I cannot stand the fire alarms! Or the house alarm! I am better now about it but it is still awful.

I take my blood pressure several times a day. But I look at my heart rate a lot more.