• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new article "Top Ten Tips for Navigating the Holidays with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

MEG

Jody,
Thank you for all the reminders...especially about finances and "not being lazy", we are ill. I am supposed to be making cookies for my husband's company XMAS party tomorrow, sending cards to five grandchildren and XMAS shopping for my youngest son...I have zero energy, can't manage to get dressed today to go out, (let alone drive...yikes) and really no money to put in those cards. I will anyway. Those precious little ones.

And on Thursday my husband has heart surgery...I WILL ask for a recliner in the waiting room..I am learning to ask for what I need.

I am trying to embrace and befriend my illness...it takes so much energy hating it. Some days I do OK...some days I lose.

Thanks again for the article...
M

K

_Kim_

So much compassion

Oh Jody, that was such a tender and caring article - you've thought of everyone here - those with families, those alone, and the homeless. Nice work!

I also learned a new word from your article.

privation
1. (philosophy) The state of being deprived of or lacking an attribute formerly or properly possessed; the loss or absence of such an attribute.
2. The state of being very poor, and lacking the basic necessities of life.
3. The act of depriving someone of such basic necessities; deprivation.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Thanks, Jody. Another great article, with very grounded practical reminders.

What has helped me deal with the holiday season (which our European pagan ancestors celebrated as YULE), is remembering that (in the northern latitudes) this REALLY is the darkest and coldest time of the year, the time of retreating from the world and going inward. It's the time of year when, prior to electricity, and only a few generations back, people spent a LOT more time sleeping, resting and hibernating. The tradition of bringing evergreens into the house and worshipping them as a symbol of "life ever-lasting" sprung from the need to feed the hope that life would be renewed in spring, after the dark cold times ran their natural course.

The bizarre reversal of this natural order in our modern capitalism driven era, and the creation of a completely bizarre bunch of "traditions"--like shopping til you drop, and eating yourself silly with rich sweet gobs of food, is a truly insane and completely unnecessary stress-o-mania we have created for, and enforced upon, ourselves.
It is NOT what our bodies really need and crave during this time of year.

SO... my whole point is REVOLT against the dominant collective paradigm is where it's at, baby! :cool::cool::cool: The only celebration I intend to have on the great mysterious solstice is to HUG a pine, or a spruce, :cool: KISS my partner silly under the mistletoe, :cool: and dance into our hibernating lair with him, wielding giant mugs of hot chai. :cool:

CJB

What has helped me deal with the holiday season (which our European pagan ancestors celebrated as YULE), is remembering that (in the northern latitudes) this REALLY is the darkest and coldest time of the year, the time of retreating from the world and going inward. It's the time of year when, prior to electricity, and only a few generations back, people spent a LOT more time sleeping, resting and hibernating. The tradition of bringing evergreens into the house and worshipping them as a symbol of "life ever-lasting" sprung from the need to feed the hope that life would be renewed in spring, after the dark cold times ran their natural course.

The bizarre reversal of this natural order in our modern capitalism driven era, and the creation of a completely bizarre bunch of "traditions"--like shopping til you drop, and eating yourself silly with rich sweet gobs of food, is a truly insane and completely unnecessary stress-o-mania we have created for, and enforced upon, ourselves.

SO... my whole point is REVOLT against the dominant collective paradigm is where it's at, baby! :cool::cool::cool: The only celebration I intend to have on the great mysterious solstice is to HUG a pine, or a spruce, :cool: KISS my partner silly under the mistletoe, :cool: and dance into our hibernating lair with him, wielding giant mugs of hot chai. :cool:

I love how folks on this forum can put into words what I feel.

All I've been able to say about Christmas is, "piss on it". You were so much more articulate.

Jody

Jody,
Thank you for all the reminders...especially about finances and "not being lazy", we are ill. I am supposed to be making cookies for my husband's company XMAS party tomorrow, sending cards to five grandchildren and XMAS shopping for my youngest son...I have zero energy, can't manage to get dressed today to go out, (let alone drive...yikes) and really no money to put in those cards. I will anyway. Those precious little ones.

And on Thursday my husband has heart surgery...I WILL ask for a recliner in the waiting room..I am learning to ask for what I need.

I am trying to embrace and befriend my illness...it takes so much energy hating it. Some days I do OK...some days I lose.

Thanks again for the article...
M

Thanks Marian.

I know you are very ill. You need to take it easy.

Jody's orders. :D

Jody

Oh Jody, that was such a tender and caring article - you've thought of everyone here - those with families, those alone, and the homeless. Nice work!

I also learned a new word from your article.

privation
1. (philosophy) The state of being deprived of or lacking an attribute formerly or properly possessed; the loss or absence of such an attribute.
2. The state of being very poor, and lacking the basic necessities of life.
3. The act of depriving someone of such basic necessities; deprivation.

Thanks, Kim.

It's a word that packs a punch, isn't it.

Jody

dreambirdie,

Your post is a good reminder to me about what, really, the natural way of it is this time of year. I'm dealing with my yearly slow-down better than most past winters but ... looking at it as you described would be the way that is most realistic.

Your celebration sounds terrific. :)

I am trying to make my own advice and pare things down further, I'd like nothing better than to just take it easy over the next two weeks. Keep getting balled up in the family traditions and expectations and guilt.

I will try to do better. :D

Jody

I love how folks on this forum can put into words what I feel.

All I've been able to say about Christmas is, "piss on it". You were so much more articulate.

cj,

You sell yourself short here.

I think you were VERY articulate. Thanks for putting it into words so well. :D

CJB

cj,

You sell yourself short here.

I think you were VERY articulate. Thanks for putting it into words so well. :D

What was that thing about snorting a lung out your nose????? You're doin' it to me!!