• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need recommendations for very soft sheets that breathe

I currently have two sets of soft cotton sheets. Well,I had two sets until one of the fitted sheets wore so thin it tore. Now I'm desperate to find a replacement but it's so hard because I can rarely get out of the house. My mom has tried to get me sheets before but her idea of soft usually isn't soft enough for me. I checked out the micro fiber sheets, such as Peachskins, but I don't think they would breathe enough for my night sweats.

Does anyone have any specific brand recommendations? I'd appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks!

Groggy Doggy

I currently have two sets of soft cotton sheets. Well,I had two sets until one of the fitted sheets wore so thin it tore. Now I'm desperate to find a replacement but it's so hard because I can rarely get out of the house. My mom has tried to get me sheets before but her idea of soft usually isn't soft enough for me. I checked out the micro fiber sheets, such as Peachskins, but I don't think they would breathe enough for my night sweats.

Does anyone have any specific brand recommendations? I'd appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks!

I like the Costco brand, Kirkland 540 thread count. You can order these online, and don't have to leave your bedroom:)

GD :dog:

A "sateen" cotton weave is going to feel softer. But it can be easier to snag, so it's necessary to have a higher thread count so the sheet is strong enough to avoid tearing. A thread count of at least 300 should be pretty good.

The type of cotton can also make a difference for smoothness. If it's labeled as being "extra long staple" cotton, pima, or supima it's probably got smoother threads. "Egyption cotton" or "Turkish cotton" might indicate smoother threads, or it might indicate normal threads literally grown in Egypt or Turkey.

Washing sheets a few times will soften them as well, though probably not enough for the stiffer sheets.

Here's a list of quality sateen sheets from http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets/#vs:

I can vouch for the Ikea Gaspa being quite good, though it's on the lower end of what I would consider acceptable for a sheet. I only stopped using the Gaspa sheet because we needed something with deeper pockets to accommodate my mattress topper, and I still use a Gaspa duvet cover, which feels great.

I also had an even better set from Target many years ago which was a 330 thread count combed sateen set. It lasted about 8 years before tearing, then I made the remnants into a Renaissance Faire dress for my friend's daughter :D

Last edited:

brenda

You can't beat linen bedding. It gets softer as you wash it and is wonderfully cool for the summer. Breathes very well. Costs a bit but lasts much longer. I love linen bedding!

ukxmrv

I don't know if it is just me but I found the cotton sateen sheets to be hotter (as in I felt warmer than before) than ordinary Egyptian cotton ones.

That might be a problem for night sweats or it might just be a problem I have.

ahmo

Since ME, I sleep on cotton chenille bedspreads. I buy them 2nd hand, so they're well washed and soft. With a woolen underlay, I don't need to tuck them in, they don't slide around so much. Both top and bottom sheet. This is the best breathing material I've found. In the summer, I use sarongs that are not tightly woven, just enough to cover the body. I just can't use sheets any more.

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
I know someone who is sensitive to sheets and uses only undyed unbleached organic cotton that works very well for him. I think he buys from heart of vermont.

(different than vermont country store)

erin

Not only bed sheets but I can hardly wear any fabric that's not cotton or very fine linen. My skin is soooo sensitive and minor itch is irritating the hell out of me nowadays. If I'm cold it has to be cashmere on top of a very soft pure cotton. I need more and more purity and expensive stuff while I have no money!
Another thing is I can't have clothing or fabrics (especially underwear) touching me are coloured especially black. I don't understand this. I start to itch very quickly if I wear them and even the coloured sheets.
Egyptian cotton and in natural colour for me.

jesse's mom

these are my favorite sheets I have ever slept on, including bamboo (my former favorite).
I hope the link works...
*did you know if you buy through the Phoenix Rising link to amazon some proceeds go to our forum?

Dechi

Bamboo is expensive but is very breathable, light and soft. Doesn’t matter the brand, 100% bamboo is bamboo.

My son's skin is sensitive, and somehow linen or cotton sheets don't suit him, even if I washed them frequently. So then I researched online and picked sheets which are hypoallergic. Since then, I am using organic eucalyptus sheets, and they gave me some amazing results. They are cool, breathable, and suit my son's skin too. These sheets also are best for hot sleepers and people having sleeping problems.

Last edited by a moderator: