• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nausea, pain and spasms

Nanni

I’ve had these awful gastro attacks a number of times now. Once I had to call 911. Very painful and I’m very nauseous but I can’t vomit because I have gastroparesis. None of my tests show anything, of course. I have a new gastro doctor and he prescribed this anti spasmodic drug Dicyclomine which is a great help and a clue. I feel like the spasms are indicative of something. I use magnesium oil, and I do have a very limited number of foods I can eat so wonder if I’m deficient in something that could cause spasming. I had a benign brain tumor removed that caused chronic pain and my neck area also spasms. I don’t realize how much I adapt to symptoms but I’m actually nauseous most mornings just the severity changes. Any thoughts?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Did he suggest that you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)? I think that's what the gastroenterologist prescribed for me when he diagnosed IBS. It didn't seem to work for me that well though and only made me sleepy. Glad it is working for you.

I found, for me, Mycopryl will take away the pain very quickly. It took me several weeks after diagnosis to figure that out. I was trying all my normal go-to's like probiotics, licorice, charcoal, etc. and they were not working.

Also with the IBS, I have to avoid anything that "scratches" my insides like seeds and bran. If I eat just one blackberry, I will have a bad IBS pain flair about 10 minutes later guaranteed. Also I have to avoid cow's milk dairy and cannot overdo on the goat or sheep milk either or I have a cross reaction and same gut pain. It's the actual dairy protein for me because I also tried lactose free milk and it didn't help.

We went gluten free about 4 years ago but if I test gluten once in a while, it doesn't seem to give me any gastro symtoms; just visual issues.

A lot of ME/CFS patients have IBS. cfsremission.com has a lot of articles on it.

Nanni

If I hadn’t already had IBS many years ago, that would be my guess but this is definitely different. Maybe something in the same family. I’m on the constipated side of the chart so rules out a lot. I’ll look into Mycropryl though. I don’t have a gallbladder and I have to take pain medication for the nerve damage I have from the brain surgery so my diet is very limited. I’ve had an endoscopy, and colonoscopy and the ultrasound. Is there any other test to request?

andyguitar

I have a new gastro doctor and he prescribed this anti spasmodic drug Dicyclomine which is a great help and a clue.
Did you know that Dicyclomine blocks the action of Acetylcholine? Thats how it stops the spasms in your gut. Have you had an improvement in any other symptoms scince you started taking it?

Nanni

Interesting. Now that you mention it when I’m not nauseous or just mildly so I do feel like I’m having a good day. I just did a bunch of weeding. Is there a more natural way of blocking acetylcholine? Or what’s causing the imbalance. Is that what it is. I had an OATs test done and it shows problems with neurotransmitters. Low production or absorption of serotonin, epinephrine and neuro epi. Maybe a clue? It’s hard for my foggy brain to process the information. Thanks for the information.

andyguitar

Is there a more natural way of blocking acetylcholine?
It's possible that Kava and Lipoic Acid could.
Low production or absorption of serotonin, epinephrine and neuro epi. Maybe a clue?
Elevated Acetylcholine might lower Dopamine levels. If you are feeling better in general when taking the Dicyclomine then I suppose it's possible that that is why. Something worth talking to your Doc about.

kangaSue

GI problems are an area where we're spoilt for choice for what could be amiss to cause them.
but I can’t vomit because I have gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis doesn't generally prevent you from vomiting unless it is the result of fixing a hiatial hernia with a fundoplication procedure.
I’ve had these awful gastro attacks a number of times now.
Where is the pain with this located? Same for the spasms too?
I’ve had an endoscopy, and colonoscopy and the ultrasound. Is there any other test to request?
A standard upper endoscopy only looks as far as into the first portion of the duodenum so can miss any problem further in - a push enteroscopy or barium swallow test with small bowel follow through can check further down your system, but a Wireless Motility Capsule Test can be a more sensitive test to do (and could rule out any suggestion that it is "just IBS).

I assume you would have had a gastric emptying done to diagnose gastroparesis? Have you had an abdominal CT done too (preferably one with contrast and looking at the bowel arteries (mesenteric CTA or MRA to avoid the radiation)? Actually, a Doppler ultrasound of the mesenteric vessels is a good screening test to try first, and have any doctor listen to your epigastric sounds for any sign of a bruit. I'm suggesting these things as your symptoms can fit for being caused by either SMA Syndrome or Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome, and not unusual to have a dodgy gallbladder function with these too, and often go for a number of years before eventually being diagnosed. If you happen to have EDS as well (or just hypermobile joints), that ticks another box for susceptibility to these.

As I say though, lots of other reasons for such symptoms and just with having had your gallbladder out, well that can be a minefield in itself from Post-cholecystectomy syndrome;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3473449/

Nanni

GI problems are an area where we're spoilt for choice for what could be amiss to cause them.

Gastroparesis doesn't generally prevent you from vomiting unless it is the result of fixing a hiatial hernia with a fundoplication procedure.

Where is the pain with this located? Same for the spasms too?

A standard upper endoscopy only looks as far as into the first portion of the duodenum so can miss any problem further in - a push enteroscopy or barium swallow test with small bowel follow through can check further down your system, but a Wireless Motility Capsule Test can be a more sensitive test to do (and could rule out any suggestion that it is "just IBS).

I assume you would have had a gastric emptying done to diagnose gastroparesis? Have you had an abdominal CT done too (preferably one with contrast and looking at the bowel arteries (mesenteric CTA or MRA to avoid the radiation)? Actually, a Doppler ultrasound of the mesenteric vessels is a good screening test to try first, and have any doctor listen to your epigastric sounds for any sign of a bruit. I'm suggesting these things as your symptoms can fit for being caused by either SMA Syndrome or Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome, and not unusual to have a dodgy gallbladder function with these too, and often go for a number of years before eventually being diagnosed. If you happen to have EDS as well (or just hypermobile joints), that ticks another box for susceptibility to these.

As I say though, lots of other reasons for such symptoms and just with having had your gallbladder out, well that can be a minefield in itself from Post-cholecystectomy syndrome;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3473449/

Thank you so much for the information. I’m going to the doctor in an hour. I feel like I something to focus on. The pain can get very bad. I don’t know why I can’t vomit but the muscles just don’t feel they’re up for the job. Bad pun. Imagine being on the verge and staying there. The only help has been either a muscle relaxer which is just like an aspirin it barely helps and the anti spasmodic. You’ve mentioned diagnostics I’m sure I should have had. This is good thank you so much. Gotta get ready. I’ll let you know.

Nanni

Was the Doc helpful?
No, not really. The medication, Dicyclomine, that he prescribed helps. Nothing showed up on the ct test or endoscopy so he was a big shoulder shrug. As long as my symptoms are better with medication he’s good. It’s medication that is fatiguing. Great I’m sure I could find a naturalpath but don’t have that kind of money. I wish I could find someone to interpret my OAT test results. At least there’s information about my health. Does anyone have recommendations?

Lalia

@Nanni I have thiamine on the brain at the moment, because I just figured out it's a piece of my 1,000 piece health puzzle. Thought you might be interested in this thread about thiamine fixing another member's severe GI distress: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ess-low-appetite-and-pain.81958/#post-2306251

May be something to look into because you mentioned you have a restricted diet (so do I). I punched my daily meals into an app called Cronometer to see which nutrients/ minerals were below RDI. I've eaten the same foods for years now due to intolerances, so safe to say I'm deficient in the nutrients that came up as low, thiamine being one of them. I then trialed a tiny bit and had a significant reaction. Happy to explain more if this is clear as mud, but thought thiamine might be worth looking into if your diet is restricted. Lots of posts on PR about thiamine deficiency if you do a search. Best of luck.