• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nasal Cells and Mitochondria

Wishful

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200615100929.htm

Summary:Exposure to air particulate matter impairs the metabolism of olfactory mucosal cells, according to a recent study. The results can contribute to a better understanding of how air pollutants may harm brain health, as the olfactory mucosa can act as a key pathway to the brain.

I noticed this: "The researchers also identified the mitochondria-targeted NPTX1 gene, which has been shown previously to be associated with brain disorders, as a key driver of mitochondrial dysfunction upon particulate matter exposure." Following that to wikigenes, I found:
  • Sema-3A/NP-1 interaction down-modulated T cell activation since addition of Sema-3A in DC/T cell cocultures dramatically inhibited allogeneic T cell proliferation [20].
I'm not sure what that means, but anything involving the immune system might be a link to ME. I can imagine ME making people more sensitive to airborne pollutants via this mechanism, or possibly making some PWME more vulnerable to airborne viruses.