• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nancy Klimas .. mast cell issues in her ME/CFS patients?

camas

Does anyone have any info on what Kina mentioned about Nancy Klimas, ME/CFS and mast cells?

Thanks

Someone here who is seeing Klimas mentioned that she is using Gastrocrom, a mast cell stabilizer, in her treatment.

In addition, Cort has also written two articles mentioning mast cell treatment:

Fibromyalgia Trial Shows Promise…For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Mast Cells and Ketotifen in FM and ME/CFS

and

The NIH on ME/CFS in 2012: Pt II - The Studies
This was a synopsis of Dr. Theo Theoharides (the Mast Cell Master) $700,000 grant from the NINDS to study "Brain Mast Cells and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" (2010-2014). Dr. Theoharides has done previous work on CFS, Fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis, etc.

xchocoholic

Does anyone know what diet dr klimas recommends ? Is she ordering stool tests and/or blood work
for food sensitivities ?

I've seen the low histamine diet
recommended for people with mast cell problems. And this diet allows gluten and dairy. I can't see those of us with common
food intolerances from leaky gut responding to the low histamine diet.

I'd need a lot more than gastrocom if I tried to eat these. I get antibodies from gluten and Paget's
flare from the lactoferrin in dairy and shiners that last for 7 - 10 days post dairy.

Tc ... X

maddietod

I saw Dr. Rey in August, and she specifically said she doesn't find stool tests to be useful. She didn't bring up blood work for food sensitivities..........my personal opinion is that we're still in the infancy of that kind of testing.

xchocoholic

I saw Dr. Rey in August, and she specifically said she doesn't find stool tests to be useful. She didn't bring up blood work for food sensitivities..........my personal opinion is that we're still in the infancy of that kind of testing.

Lol. That's funny that she doesn't find stool tests useful. I'll stick with my integrative
doctor. Tx .. X

camas

I've seen the low histamine diet recommended for people with mast cell problems. And this diet allows gluten and dairy. I can't see those of us with common food intolerances from leaky gut responding to the low histamine diet.

I don't know about Dr. Klimas, but I read that there was nutritionist who spoke at the recent Mastocytosis Society conference and she said almost all of her masto patients improve when they go off dairy and gluten. I don't know if she had them on a low histamine diet too. It seems to get mixed results from what I've been reading.