If it's gone grey the likelyhood is the tooth is dead. There is no pain because the nerve has probably long gone. A dentist would have normally done a root canal on that.
I had X-rays done when the tooth was like this, and although they showed there was a cavity that needs filling the dentist did not recommend a root canal or say anything about the tooth being "dead".
Yes, it's possible that the X-ray didn't show something that the Cavitat would show, and yes, it's possible that the dentist erred (though for me a second opinion is out of the question) but at some point we have to decide that their expertise and instruments are worth having a little faith in. And for me, at this moment, it means that instead of completely dismissing the dentist's expertise and deciding that I know better and my tooth must be dead and causing "a lot of damage to the bone" I'm going to assume that my dentist probably
knows what he's talking about, and has a more informed perspective on my case than you, since he's the one who has looked at my X-rays and examined my tooth in person.
So really you should have it addressed as soon as possible not leave it .. for years. These type of infections are anaerobic, and very dangerous to your health.
I'm not sure you read this part of my post, so I'll quote it again:
I don't need anyone to tell me how bad that is, how it can be contributing to my illness, etc. I don't need anyone ordering me to do this or that. There are several different major issues I am dealing with right now and believe it or not this is a lower priority.
For the past 4 years stepping inside the dentist's office at all was a significantly life-threatening ordeal due to very severe MCS. We're talking airways being cut off. Any dental work at all, even a couple minutes to take this plastic stuff off my teeth, was not worth risking my life for. Moreover, I currently do not have any antihistamines that I could take if an allergic reaction were to occur, and I'm developing/discovering new allergies (not sensitivities; I do have both) every week. You have no idea how frightening it is to watch an allergic reaction slowly worsening over hte course of hours and knowing that an epi-pen is your only recourse.
Furthermore, there are currently no pain meds that I can use. We've been trying for I believe the past 6 months to find something tolerable. Are you telling me to get this done with zero pain control, even when according to the dentist there isn't any sort of major massive get-it-taken-care-of-right-now infection going on?
On top of all this I currently have a rash covering about 60% of my body that has been top priority the past few weeks because it's significantly interfering with my sleep, it's using up so much of my energy, getting PEM just from applying these creams and such. I don't even have the energy to treat this rash as much as it has to be treated, and meanwhile it continues to spread over my body. These kinds of crises are what has been happening basically non-stop for the past 4 years, whether it's a rash, glass in my throat, no clothing, excruciating pain, sleeping on bare wooden slats so that I become severely sleep deprived, life-threatening reactions to my living area, etc etc.
So you see, I really mean it when I say there are higher priorities right now. With my history of developing allergies (again, actual allergies) it'd be extremely foolish to attempt oral surgery without an option for antihistamines, and it doesn't make sense to go the route of extreme pain for lack of pain control options unless there is an established life-threatening situation, which there isn't, and with my body currently in this very run-down state from the issues with this rash it would be foolhardy of me to add a major stressor to the mix at this time.
I would love to have the freedom of being able to book an appointment and go in. Unfortunately that is not the case. I plan to get it taken care of as soon as possible, which for me might very well and up being several months or even a year from now. Such is my life.