• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My new chair!

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
My hubby and I bought this chair for me last weekend. It is electric, by Best Furniture. It is like HEAVEN, so soft and I can change my positions a lot. I was having foot problems from sitting so long in one position. It isn't good to sit still for so long. Do any of your have that problem? This chair has been great for me.

s.jpg

BEG

Well, Sally, my chair is a dead-ringer for yours, except mine is brown. Yes, so comfortable. I spend my day in it then relinquish it to my husband when he gets home.

Stone

Yes, a chair similar to yours was a huge blessing to me in the early years of my illness. I spent the first year in bed more or less and my teenage kids ran the house, which wasn't good but there was absolutely nothing I could have done about it at the time. Then, I got THE CHAIR and things changed. It was huge and oh so comfortable, and I could completely curl up in it if I wanted to with room to spare for various pillows or whatnot. I was able to transition from the bed as my primary place to THE CHAIR in the living room instead. They don't call it a 'living room' for nothing. I was a person again. I was a parent again. I eventually parted with THE CHAIR years later when a dear friend took ill with ME/CFS and I gave it to him since he needed it more than I by then. I am now married and we replaced THE CHAIR with a big and comfy double-recliner so that THE CHAIR(S) allows us to sit together. I think this would be a good suggestion to add to the wiki under 'coping strategies' or 'practical living with ME/CFS' or something of that order so that those who might tolerate a recliner might save themselves the unnecessary isolation of the bedroom as they are able, of course. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest when you're hemmed in by the trees. Enjoy, and congratulations. Good health to you.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Brown eyed girl, it is dark brown, the flash makes it light.

Stone, it is SO true. I had to spend the day in bed today, but those days are fewer now. It is wonderful to be out in the house most of the time. It is so funny. For years, I didn't want a recliner or leather in the house, ha. Well, our living room has no leather, just chairs I ordered, nice upholstry. Fabric sofa. But our TV room is all leather and I LOVE IT!

Yes, the chair is my buddy and a luxury, it is wonderful. I don't have to close it with my feet like my hubby does. All smooth and electric. Heaven. My hubby gets me anything that I need or want to feel better or be happier.

I agree this is good for practical living. I am sure many people have great chairs, but this is so nice for me. My feet are doing great now.

Great health to you too!

Stone

Yeah, a few musings on leather. I used to be very adverse to leather furniture until I actually sat on a real leather couch, one that had some age on it and was nicely broken in. I didn't realize that leather was so much nicer once it's broken in, just like a baseball glove. I also found that the more worn it is and the more beat up it is, the better it looks. You can't say that about fabric. Also, you can actually CLEAN it, and you can't say that about fabric either. It's fantastic if you have kids because the only way they can ruin it is to cut it or burn it, and normally we try not to let the kids walk around with their box cutters and cigars. I advised a couple who were expecting their first child and also happened to be couch shopping to go ahead and spend the extra for a leather couch for the reasons stated above. They did get a leather couch and later said I was right, and wondered how they could have ever considered fabric. The only problem was that they bought a light yellow leather couch, which really was gorgeous, but unfortunatuly their toddler made her contribution to the decor with a green Sharpie marker on the beautiful buttery yellow couch. Oh well. It's easily covered by a throw pillow. Also, there are leather and 'pleather' combination pieces, that have leather on all the surfaces that actually touch you, but a matching almost indistinguishable synthetic-leather on the sides and back. You really can't see the difference until you look very closely and they are much more affordable than full leather. Yes, leather does cost more, but it's cool in the summer, warm in the winter, it somehow breathes, and it lasts as long or longer than 3 fabric couches so in the long run you actually save money, you're more comfortable, and it does look pretty good. You can always soften the look with a nice throw or a little pillow. And that's what I like about leather. I will omit the other fun comments about leather and save that for another thread. ;-)