• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My MRI imaging for CCI evaluation

Bowser

Okay, so I've got the full set of flexion, extension and neutral MRIs.

It would be really cool if @jeff_w, @JenB and @Hip could give their opinion. :)

From my amateurish analysis, a lot of the measurements seem borderline or pathological:

CXA in neutral is around 139 degrees, which is borderline.

Grabb-Oakes line is around 7mm, which is borderline.

Translational BAI seems definitely equal to or above 2mm, which is pathological. BAI in flexion is around 9.5mm and BAI in extension is around 7mm.

I'm also seeing an empty sella, which could indicate intercranial hypertension.

There also seems to be spinal cord compression at around C5-C6 vertebrae when in the flexion position.

Are my observations anywhere near the mark?

My primary symptoms are fatigue and brain fog, and I don't have many of the ancillary symptoms that many others with CFS have.

However, the fatigue seems to get progressively worse every year. And recently I've developed mild facial pain as a symptom when fatigue is increased. My whole face feels like it's filled with lead.

There's also the constant feeling of a heavy head and a mild bobblehead feeling, and some degree of neck stiffness.

Attachments

• extension.png
    extension.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 81
  • flexion.png
    flexion.png
    346 KB · Views: 80
  • neutral.png
    neutral.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Hip

Did you perform these measurements yourself, @Bowser, using MRI DICOM file software, or where they done by an expert like Prof Smith? Even the experts though can different results: I've seen Prof Smith and Dr Gilete arrive at different measurement figures using the same MRI scans.

Translational BAI seems definitely equal to or above 2mm, which is pathological. BAI in flexion is around 9.5mm and BAI in extension is around 7mm.

Although > 2 mm is the threshold for pathological in the translation BAI, Dr Henderson requires a > 4 mm measurement before he considers offering surgery.

There also seems to be spinal cord compression at around C5-C6 vertebrae when in the flexion position.

There does, but it looks fairly slight in comparison to other MRI images I've seen of spinal compression.

Last edited:

Bowser

Did you perform these measurements yourself, @Bowser, using MRI DICOM file software, or where they done by an expert like Prof Smith?

I did perform these measurements myself. I've sent the scans to Dr G as well. It seems it will take till January for the evaluation to be completed.

Besides Dr G and Dr B, do any other doctors currently offer remote consultations or evaluations?

Tella

Does anyone get pain in the neck ONLY when upright, sitting up or standing? It happens to me when I’m upright for a few mins :( not sure if it’s pots, cci, cfs??
Also do u know if it’s safe to do any neck stretching if u have cci??

splusholia

Does anyone get pain in the neck ONLY when upright, sitting up or standing? It happens to me when I’m upright for a few mins :( not sure if it’s pots, cci, cfs??
Also do u know if it’s safe to do any neck stretching if u have cci??

Yes - I am the same.

Bowser

@Bowser
Can You interpret empty sella and intracarnial hypertension ?
Empty sella is an incidental finding that could indicate IH, but it is found in many normal people too.

In my case I have low testosterone as well which could have been because of compression of the pituitary gland because of empty sella.