• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My experience with Valtrex

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
hi mike, you know that song, sitten onthe dock of the bay watching the time roll away, well that sums up how i got over this flu/bug, a letter from my doc and a week off work vegitating helped alot. Yes crunching on vit c like lollies for a few days helps, i was taking 5000-10000mg a day throughout the day.I also take a strong vit d supplement i get from the prohealth board, its 50000mg so i take it once a fortnight and it took my vit d levels from the low range up to the top pretty quick, have i noticed a diiference, not really but the science behind is convincing so i take it. Keep us posted on your progress as i find it interesting and im sure its helping others too.

cheers!

*GG*

I've been taking Vitamin D, and only recently been taking zinc, vit c etc. I'm not sure what LDN is :).

Normally I've been able to get rid of colds/infections within around 48 hours or so by just going to bed, otherwise it would never last for more than 4-5 days. This one has been a particularly nasty clinger, that stayed no matter how much bed rest I gave it, but worsened if I didn't rest. My sister is about 80% or so recovered from CFS and the same infection stuck with her for over 3 weeks. It's just a nasty infection that I'm hoping to be completely rid of soon :).

LDN=Low Dose Naltrexone

Sorry for the delay, heapsreal. I'll make sure to give monthly updates (around the 26th-ish), but I'll probably just leave it at that in general. But anyway, here's my next entry :).

(Almost) 6 Months

FINALLY!!!

After 2.5 months of on and off relapses, it seems that I’ve managed to completely shake this infection. I’ve been free from it for at least 2.5 weeks, and the last 1.5 weeks have been really wonderful health-wise. It seems that I’ve had another bump up in health compared to 4 months.

I had a social night last night and was so clear-headed that I was able to completely keep up with the conversation for about 3 hours! I’d forgotten how much I like to talk in certain situations!

Still spending most of my time on the couch, but I’m enjoying how easy basic errands and basic physical tasks are now (in moderation).

I’m trying some light exercise again, which is probably a bad idea, but I think I’ll be ok if I go easy.

heapsreal

good to hear. If u feel the urge to exercise then go for it, i wouldnt do more then twice a week though. Believe it or not i find weight training easier to recover from them mild aerobic stuff like walking, i think its because its easier to control more variables when weight training and i try not to get too out of breath from these, they last 20-30 mins on a good day.

keep it up,
cheers!!!

I'm the same, I find weights much more enjoyable, and more acheivable. I'm sure a number of factors come into play,

1) Using the anaerobic (short burst) energy system is much more achievable in people with CFS (aerobic energy system is broken apparantly)
2) You can take regular breaks while still achieving meaningful exercise
3) No need for lengthy standing/walking (I stilll have orthostatic intolerance, although it's noticably less on good days, compared to before Valtrex)

But I'm definitely going easy, I'm loving my reduced symptoms too much to ruin it from over-exercise. If I overdo the weights, I used to need about 3 days recovery, with the first day being particularly severe. I'm not yet brave/stupid enough to see how severe it is now, but I'm sure it's still not a good idea.

I'm also very keen to strengthen my knee supporting muscles a bit, as my knee popped out a couple of times earlier this year and resulted in ongoing knee pain. This has cleared up now, but comes back if I go up, or particularly down, stairs too quickly.

heapsreal

its good to feel almost normal again, some light at the end of the tunnel. Im glad ive gone back on famvir, i think it has better effect against cmv which i also have. yes, have to be careful not to push to hard to soon. sounds like u know how to read your own body.
Your dr was abit skeptical, whats his views on your treatment now?

cheers!!!!

I haven't actually seen him in a while, he was away last appointment so I saw someone else in the same clinic.

Last time I saw him, and told him how much better my brain fog (in particular) was, he just typed it in the computer and didn't really say much. I'm not too worried what he thinks, he's very happy to give me the prescriptions, and keep checking my liver function, which is the main thing.

How are you going anyway? Do you mean you're feeling almost normal again after the bad patch you had recently?

Congratulations! I have been using Valtrex initially 8years ago and then to fight relapses. I like site Dr Daniel C Dantini, Florida. I hinitially took 1000mg three times a day following meals. However it was recommended to use300mg of Zantac one hour prior to breakfast and dinner. Dr Dantini also treats DELAYED food allergies and this has cleared up IBS,sinus, skin allergies, asthma, headaches etc. They're gone for good and I am eating a normal diet agin. Wonderful help! Highly recommended.

muffin

Three months of Valtrex and not feeling much of anything. Still sleeping odd hours, still exhausted.
Glad that others are doing well on the med. Those on Valtrex please continue to keep us updated. Cheers.

heapsreal

try famvir muffin, it has a broader range of effects on different viruses. Many are finding famvir is lowering there titres to hhv6 cmv and ebv. i think if u have straight ebv valtrex is fine but if u have the other infections valtrex is ineffective against them and possibly bacterial co-infections too

Hi muffin and grant107,

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I've actually gone ahead and copied your updates to Post 1 so that people can follow your progress more easily, I hope that's ok.

Also, are you happy to tell us which of EBV/CMV/HHV6 you've tested positive for? I only ask because Dr Lerner primarily recommends Valtrex for those with EBV but not the other two.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. I'm so sorry that you're not having the same kind of experience/response as I am (although I still have a long way to go, and am anticipating that the improvement will plateau at some point).

heapsreal

good on ya mike!! all sounds good your end. as far as ebv go's i have tested positive and negative but positive to cmv, famvir definately helps, i found valtrex didnt help, maybe only useful for ebv. but yes im starting to feel good gain. what dose of valtrex do u take??

Jenny

Can I ask - when people say they are positive for EBV, CMV etc, does this mean a high IgM or just a high IgG?

Jenny

xrayspex

does anyone know of the best test for ebv and hhv6, ones that a regular clinic could do but that wouldnt be lame.......?

good on ya mike!! all sounds good your end. as far as ebv go's i have tested positive and negative but positive to cmv, famvir definately helps, i found valtrex didnt help, maybe only useful for ebv. but yes im starting to feel good gain. what dose of valtrex do u take??

I take 1g, 4 times a day (so 4g/day). Thanks for reminding me, that was the other thing I meant to ask grant107 and muffin.

@Jenny. When I say I've tested positive for EBV, I mean just the antibodies test, not acute infection. I don't know which is which with IgM or IgG. In Australia we don't have any tests available to test for titres.

7 Months

Still going great. I’ve maintained the improvement from 6 months, and improved again! Up until now the improvement has allowed me to do more low energy activities through-out the day/week (eg being on the computer), but I think I’m starting to get to a point where my ability to do medium/high energy activities might be increasing.

I’ve been trying to do walking, and recently managed a ~30 minute walk 4 days in a row and actually feeling quite good during them(!), although I didn’t do anything else active on those days. I was quite rundown on the 5th day after over doing it on the 4th, but it resulted more of a ‘couch day’ rather than a ‘bed day’ which I used to often need.

I used to absolutely love walking (the freedom, exploration and endorphins mainly, I think) when I was well, so I hope this isn’t just a big tease, and I’ll really be able to get back into going for longer walks eventually.