• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Much worse following bone marrow biopsy

Andrew

I had a bone marrow biopsy from my hip bone five days ago. I have been wiped out since that visit. This is much worse than usual following an excursion to the doctor. And it's not letting up at all My energy level has gone from bad to awful.

Worried about internal bleeding, I took my blood pressure. It is fine. There is no black and blue where the needle went in, but that would be a skin bruise, not a bone injury.

Have any of you had a bone marrow biopsy? Or, anyone know about this?

hapl808

Sorry to hear and nothing specific to offer, but I found as I got more severe, even minor doctor visits would sometimes wipe me out for days or weeks or longer. Even a 'normal' and successful bone marrow biopsy would probably knock me down for a long time. I've avoided even muscle biopsies at this point.

I hope you have a quick recovery and some good news from the biopsy. :(

linusbert

I had a bone marrow biopsy from my hip bone five days ago. I have been wiped out since that visit. This is much worse than usual following an excursion to the doctor. And it's not letting up at all My energy level has gone from bad to awful.

Worried about internal bleeding, I took my blood pressure. It is fine. There is no black and blue where the needle went in, but that would be a skin bruise, not a bone injury.

did you get full narcosis?
some stuff like laughing gas drains your B12 stores. so maybe a bit of B12 replenishing course might help you?

anne_likes_red

I had some tenderness to the hip bone afterwards that I remember lasting a few days, but I experienced no additional PEM. I wasn't offered pain relief (apart from the skin anesthetic) for the procedure and I didn't find it painful, just a weird tugging sensation in the bone. I was relatively high functioning at that time though.
If you had sedation (?), I agree it could be that you're still recovering from.
I hope you're feeling better soon!

Belbyr

I was put to sleep for mine and recall the recovery being awful as far as pain and stress. Apparently they had to use some harsher tools to get through my bone.

I think it was once that local meds wore off, it was pain akin to a kidney stone. Very nauseated, very poor sleep, sick feeling, etc.

I think it took me at least a week before I felt like I was getting back to my 'normal'.

lenora

Hi Andrew....Why don't you give yourself a little more time. We're not all the same and our reactions certainly aren't.

I have two spinal taps about 3 wks. apart. The first was just fine. The second was difficult for not just me, but for the nurses and other patients. I was a mess. Why? The doctor was even the same....and I was conscious. My reaction, however, was totally different. Feel better. Yours, Lenora

lenora

How are you doing, @Andrew? I've been hospitalized a number of times and I'd say that everyone who is seriously ill and has blood drawn every 3-4 hrs. is the same bruised up mess that you're describing.

I'm happy to say that mine all healed without any marks whatsoever. The pain went away and I hope you're also doing better. Some of us do bruise much easier than others....mind you, I'm thin skinned and 75, but I was the same way at 35. Just the way I am.

I have a friend who truly is a mess after being in the hospital. She's very afraid of procedures because things look so serious. I think (!) I understand your concern. Give yourself this week and don't even touch the area. Wishing for less blue for you. Yours, Lenora

Rufous McKinney

Im sorry @Andrew ....procedures are just hard on us I"m afraid. It probably just taking you some time to work through it.

Try not to worry. Rest, breathe. You'll feel better.

Keep us posted how your feeling.:thumbsup::pem:

Andrew

I was so busy worrying about how I felt I had forgotten the purpose of the biopsy. It was to test for a type of bone cancer called multiple myeloma. The doctor called me today with the results and I don't have multiple myeloma.

But I do have Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS), which is a myeloma-like state that might develop into myeloma. But with low risk of that happening. Still, I have to be tested more than once a year. But no biopsy, just blood test. And I don't have to go in. The doctor will send me the lab order for blood draw, and then discuss results on the phone.

lenora

Yes, I had a trip to the dentist's this week also. 2-3 hours or more and I find it just too much. So don't be surprised...especially when you think of the waiting room, being called for forms, adjustment of the dental chair, and whatever else one may need. It's worse than an ordinary doctor....for me, at least.

Still, as I get older I appreciate having my teeth and I'm told my gums are in great shape, especially for my age, and I'm grateful for that. I do take especially good care of them, so that's a small reward.

Since they're in such great condition, I think I'll make the next appointment for one year! Feel better, Andrew. You've accomplished a lot in a small period of time. Yours, Lenora

Andrew

@Andrew, are you feeling any better? Only answer when you are able to.
After the periodontist I just got worse and worse. But it was also up and down, so I kept waiting to see if I would get better. But I didn't. It got really bad. I was barely able to do anything. And everything I did was major stress. Finally, I went to my primary care physician. That was two days ago. I expected him to just try to pass me off to my lung doctor but he surprised me. He gave me an injection of a powerful antibiotic and another one of the anti-inflammatory. I'm also on oral anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic. And so now I just wait and see. I'll know in two weeks. I'm also supposed to follow up with him.

Thanks for asking.