• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Moved to new retirement flat - now exhausted due to PEM

brenda

Just to add that my health is suffering. I have an extensive area of fungal infection across my abdomen, and am having allergic reaction to treatments, first Canesten, then tee tree oil. It spread to my mouth. Since I decided on the flooring, which will be painting up to the mess around the edges with the residue, to leave that till a later date, I am slowly picking up and the infection is clearing a little. The allergy is still there.

mermaid

Hi everyone
@mermaid @brenda
Thought I'd share my good news !
My wonderful advocate and I worked on pushing to get my health needs and situation further up the council / social housing ladder and we did it !!
They have backdated so anytime I could go on to bid and be no 1 !

I'm so pleased ....
Am so ready to settle down

Apologies for the late response @Emmarose47 - just been going through a hard time for weeks since the move - probably adrenal issues, and I need to give myself plenty of rest to recoup now.

I am so VERY pleased to hear your news and the help you have had from your wonderful advocate in hopefully getting a new home. I hope you find a peaceful and happy place to settle down very soon.

Things with me are OK apart from the fatigue. I am happy with my flat that is beginning to feel more like home now. It's been too hot in London, but at least September is coming, so hopefully it will be easier to deal with. I have had a nice trip to Worthing with the residents from the flats, and we are also going on a boat trip along the Thames in a couple of weeks.

mermaid

Just to add that my health is suffering. I have an extensive area of fungal infection across my abdomen, and am having allergic reaction to treatments, first Canesten, then tee tree oil. It spread to my mouth. Since I decided on the flooring, which will be painting up to the mess around the edges with the residue, to leave that till a later date, I am slowly picking up and the infection is clearing a little. The allergy is still there.

How are you doing now @brenda ? Did the flooring get painted OK and have you moved in now? Good that you had some help from an old friend/neighbour, as moving alone (as I did pretty much) is gruelling.

The whole thing is very stressful however well you plan it, and you have had to do it at short notice, so not surprising that you have had issues with your health. I realise that my adrenals have had such long term stress and I now have to try and relax and get things on a more even keel, but I am over 2 months in now, and it was chaos at first. At long last my sitting room feels relaxing, so I hope you will be at that stage soon, and that you will be very happy there.

Just saying to EmmaRose that I have been on some trips with the residents. Ironically they are mostly much older than I am, but in better shape!

brenda

Thanks for asking @mermaid

My first night! I am in bed and pretty wired yet tired. Yes the floors got painted with toxin free paint by my previous neighbour and he gas been a godsend. It eased the stress a great deal so l paid him well.

The move was pretty tiring as it took the removers so long to get my stuff up the lift and without the ability to prop the main doors open so they had to use my fob each time. I felt so sorry for them. After five hours in total, it was finished. Loads of space in the lounge but the kitchen is too small. I will have to get rid of more stuff.

But the good news is l love it! I have a lovely view of trees, sky and Northumberland. I know l will be happy here, and just have to adjust to the little quirks. My last flat was dark and dampish and this one is dry and light. I am enjoying being on an upper floor.

I am aching all over and dreading to find out how exhausted l am after the adrenaline settles. There is still some paintwork to do and l discovered some MDF on a few bits of my furniture which needs sealing but l already feel l am breathing better away from the laminate l had before even though it came from Germany and had no formaldehyde. It will be interesting to see how toxinless my new situation is. I already see that l was rather depressed at my last place.

Good to hear you are more relaxed now.

Emmarose47

Apologies for the late response @Emmarose47 - just been going through a hard time for weeks since the move - probably adrenal issues, and I need to give myself plenty of rest to recoup now.

I am so VERY pleased to hear your news and the help you have had from your wonderful advocate in hopefully getting a new home. I hope you find a peaceful and happy place to settle down very soon.

Things with me are OK apart from the fatigue. I am happy with my flat that is beginning to feel more like home now. It's been too hot in London, but at least September is coming, so hopefully it will be easier to deal with. I have had a nice trip to Worthing with the residents from the flats, and we are also going on a boat trip along the Thames in a couple of weeks.

Glad to hear u settling in and it's feeling like home , that's wonderful .
Yep, moving is big for the healthy hey ...
I'm packing v slowly and will need full support when I move . Grateful I will get it .

I bid on an over 50s this wk which looks nice .
I'm 6th on the list so far .
I'm not sure at all the certainty of getting somewhere by the time I need to leave here in October . The 6 mths advancement doesnt seem to be advancing me on the over 50s but hey could change .

My other options are then temp accom or direct offer .neither is appealling at all !

I'm also due into hospital in 2 wks 🙄

mermaid

Thanks for asking @mermaid

My first night! I am in bed and pretty wired yet tired. Yes the floors got painted with toxin free paint by my previous neighbour and he gas been a godsend. It eased the stress a great deal so l paid him well.

The move was pretty tiring as it took the removers so long to get my stuff up the lift and without the ability to prop the main doors open so they had to use my fob each time. I felt so sorry for them. After five hours in total, it was finished. Loads of space in the lounge but the kitchen is too small. I will have to get rid of more stuff.

But the good news is l love it! I have a lovely view of trees, sky and Northumberland. I know l will be happy here, and just have to adjust to the little quirks. My last flat was dark and dampish and this one is dry and light. I am enjoying being on an upper floor.

I am aching all over and dreading to find out how exhausted l am after the adrenaline settles. There is still some paintwork to do and l discovered some MDF on a few bits of my furniture which needs sealing but l already feel l am breathing better away from the laminate l had before even though it came from Germany and had no formaldehyde. It will be interesting to see how toxinless my new situation is. I already see that l was rather depressed at my last place.

Good to hear you are more relaxed now.

@brenda well done for achieving the move, but I can well understand the adrenaline issues after what you have been through. I am still working through all that, but I didn't get the wired issues as I seemed to be in total exhaustion instead for weeks and weeks. I am now working on that, as I am beginning to relax and to give it time (and an adrenal saliva test in the post to see how I am doing on this, as the stress has been going on so long).

I am SO pleased that you are pleased with your flat! That's wonderful and it sounds like such a good place, with a nice view. Funnily enough, I have done the reverse - gone from a very bright house, with windows both ends of the room, in our sitting room which we had upstairs to a downstairs flat which is darker. I think I will be OK with that (have to be), as it's not damp, but cosy, and the bright sunshine is only a few feet away from my garden door that opens. It may of course be darker and drearier in the winter, so I may have to use some elec in lighting, but its well insulated here, on the other side. One person here says she never even has to turn the heating on!!

My removal men were very grumpy on a hot day, even though they had it much better than yours did - just straight in the back garden doors. Yours did have something to moan about, but sounds as if they did well.

I do so hope that you will be happy there Brenda, and that the toxicity will be lower for you. I was worried about my new carpets and the nearby busy road round the corner. However, I bought an expensive air purifier, only to turn it on and find that to my surprise it didn't record the air here being toxic at all, (it had some kind of colour check if it was very toxic, or partly toxic, and mine came up clean right from the start), so I sent it back. I am feeling pretty good anyway, so I think that all is well for me here.

brenda

@brenda well done for achieving the move, but I can well understand the adrenaline issues after what you have been through. I am still working through all that, but I didn't get the wired issues as I seemed to be in total exhaustion instead for weeks and weeks. I am now working on that, as I am beginning to relax and to give it time (and an adrenal saliva test in the post to see how I am doing on this, as the stress has been going on so long).

I am SO pleased that you are pleased with your flat! That's wonderful and it sounds like such a good place, with a nice view. Funnily enough, I have done the reverse - gone from a very bright house, with windows both ends of the room, in our sitting room which we had upstairs to a downstairs flat which is darker. I think I will be OK with that (have to be), as it's not damp, but cosy, and the bright sunshine is only a few feet away from my garden door that opens. It may of course be darker and drearier in the winter, so I may have to use some elec in lighting, but its well insulated here, on the other side. One person here says she never even has to turn the heating on!!

My removal men were very grumpy on a hot day, even though they had it much better than yours did - just straight in the back garden doors. Yours did have something to moan about, but sounds as if they did well.

I do so hope that you will be happy there Brenda, and that the toxicity will be lower for you. I was worried about my new carpets and the nearby busy road round the corner. However, I bought an expensive air purifier, only to turn it on and find that to my surprise it didn't record the air here being toxic at all, (it had some kind of colour check if it was very toxic, or partly toxic, and mine came up clean right from the start), so I sent it back. I am feeling pretty good anyway, so I think that all is well for me here.

Many thanks for your kind words of support and encouragement. Very good to hear that you are beginning to feel more relaxed. I am too as I sit on my chair and look at the sky and clouds. However I have had a setback after returning to my old flat after 2 days to finish off the cleaning. I did too much and should have employed someone to do it as the laminate floors were to wash.

When I got there, I found the bathroom light and extractor fan were on - had been for 52 hours since the removers left it like that. I have been a bit conflicted about whether to report them after finding that the electricity used was not at all bad.

Yes, unless we are rich, we have to take the rough with the smooth and see if the rough is bearable. For here, it is the minute kitchen and bathroom but I am getting more organized so that it works. So good that you have a garden.

There is a product made in the US that you can import at a price: https://afmsafecoat.com/products/cleaners-carpets/safechoice-carpet-lock-out

I would be wary about the results from your air purifier as some say they are pretty worthless.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Last edited:

lenora

Hello ladies.....@mermaid, I do hope you're feeling better and will be much healthier for your trip around the Thames. I also trust that your bookcases were installed and I'm glad to hear you say that it's becoming more like "home." That's always a good feeling, but takes time.

@brenda....I hope you'll soon be over the worst of your move. It's a huge job even for a healthy person, let alone someone who isn't.

From across the miles, good luck to both of you as you settle in. Yours, Lenora

Judee

I'm not sure at all the certainty of getting somewhere by the time I need to leave here in October . The 6 mths advancement doesnt seem to be advancing me on the over 50s but hey could change .

My other options are then temp accom or direct offer .neither is appealling at all !

Praying everything goes well for you. If you can and wish to do so, please keep us up-to-date on how you're doing.

mermaid

Glad to hear u settling in and it's feeling like home , that's wonderful .
Yep, moving is big for the healthy hey ...
I'm packing v slowly and will need full support when I move . Grateful I will get it .

@Emmarose47 thinking of you this week as you go into hospital. Is that for an operation? How are you likely to be afterwards? That sounds like a lot to cope with if you have to leave the flat in October.

Has there been any movement on any of the over 50s places? Good to hear that you will get decent support on the move when it comes.

Edit note: Just read your other thread on why you are needing to go in this week. I hope they are gentle with you - I know how the NHS are with people with ME. Hoping it goes as well as possible for you and that your mind can be put at rest on this score at least. xx

Last edited:

mermaid

Many thanks for your kind words of support and encouragement. Very good to hear that you are beginning to feel more relaxed. I am too as I sit on my chair and look at the sky and clouds. However I have had a setback after returning to my old flat after 2 days to finish off the cleaning. I did too much and should have employed someone to do it as the laminate floors were to wash.

When I got there, I found the bathroom light and extractor fan were on - had been for 52 hours since the removers left it like that. I have been a bit conflicted about whether to report them after finding that the electricity used was not at all bad.

Yes, unless we are rich, we have to take the rough with the smooth and see if the rough is bearable. For here, it is the minute kitchen and bathroom but I am getting more organized so that it works. So good that you have a garden.

There is a product made in the US that you can import at a price: https://afmsafecoat.com/products/cleaners-carpets/safechoice-carpet-lock-out

I would be wary about the results from your air purifier as some say they are pretty worthless.

@brenda I hope you are recovering OK from your setback re the cleaning in your old flat. Was it rented? Usually you cannot get back into an old place once you have left it. At least in my case the house was sold, and I had moved miles away, so could not have got back.

My removal men didn't do anything quite like leaving lights on etc, but nothing surprises me about removal men. Mine were appalling, and even now I am finding the damage they caused to my belongings. You have to look and claim quickly, but that is ridiculous, as they know, as no one has time to unpack everything and check, even if they are healthy. I did ring £50 compensation out of them, but I am annoyed at their lack of care for my belongings.

Sorry to hear of the minute kitchen and bathroom, and hope you can cope with them in the longer term. Funnily enough, I lived in an ex Council house previously built in 1937, and the rooms were tiny, especially the bathroom, so luckily coming here wasn't so bad, even though there is only one bedroom instead of 2. The bathroom seems palatial compared with my last one, with a really decent sized shower where I can stand the washing if I need to, during the day (to avoid the toxic smelling tumble dryer in the laundry).

I seem to be improving slowly and am pretty sure it was mainly down to my adrenals having a hammering for 2 years. I might be mad, but am about to take over an allotment. I won't be doing a lot just yet, but just a bit before the winter sets in. Hopefully my son will help a bit, but he tells me he is away every weekend in September, so not sure how that will work out!

mermaid

Hello ladies.....@mermaid, I do hope you're feeling better and will be much healthier for your trip around the Thames. I also trust that your bookcases were installed and I'm glad to hear you say that it's becoming more like "home." That's always a good feeling, but takes time.

@brenda....I hope you'll soon be over the worst of your move. It's a huge job even for a healthy person, let alone someone who isn't.

From across the miles, good luck to both of you as you settle in. Yours, Lenora

Thank you @lenora for your good wishes!
I am having some ups and downs but feel improved compared with how I was when I moved in. I realise that I have suffered from exhaustion for 2 years or so. I think it was my adrenals struggling with all the stress I have had. It's nice to relax a bit now, and yes, I should be OK for the boat trip I think this week.

My bookcase is in, and looks great, and the handyman came a few days ago and did some vital stuff like putting shelves up, and a curtain pole. He is coming again very soon to put up my pictures and then it will all be done for now.

lenora

Well, @mermaid, it's nice to hear that one you ladies is now going to be well settled in. Just in time for fall trips, Xmas shopping and enjoying the coming months.

I can't make up my mind if I'm looking forward to or dreading the colder months. (Winter, that is.) In spite of the heat, summer flew on by and seems to get faster each year. Has anyone noticed that Xmas is always just around the corner lately and then the rhythm of the months takes over? Anyway, congrats on getting settled in and we hope to hear the same from @ Brenda and @Emmarose in the not-too-distant future.

Sure, hang the pictures so you can keep moving them around....that's what I would do. Yours, Lenora.

brenda

@brenda I hope you are recovering OK from your setback re the cleaning in your old flat. Was it rented? Usually you cannot get back into an old place once you have left it. At least in my case the house was sold, and I had moved miles away, so could not have got back.

My removal men didn't do anything quite like leaving lights on etc, but nothing surprises me about removal men. Mine were appalling, and even now I am finding the damage they caused to my belongings. You have to look and claim quickly, but that is ridiculous, as they know, as no one has time to unpack everything and check, even if they are healthy. I did ring £50 compensation out of them, but I am annoyed at their lack of care for my belongings.

Sorry to hear of the minute kitchen and bathroom, and hope you can cope with them in the longer term. Funnily enough, I lived in an ex Council house previously built in 1937, and the rooms were tiny, especially the bathroom, so luckily coming here wasn't so bad, even though there is only one bedroom instead of 2. The bathroom seems palatial compared with my last one, with a really decent sized shower where I can stand the washing if I need to, during the day (to avoid the toxic smelling tumble dryer in the laundry).

I seem to be improving slowly and am pretty sure it was mainly down to my adrenals having a hammering for 2 years. I might be mad, but am about to take over an allotment. I won't be doing a lot just yet, but just a bit before the winter sets in. Hopefully my son will help a bit, but he tells me he is away every weekend in September, so not sure how that will work out!

Thanks @mermaid I am a bit better than I was after the rented old flat cleaning but the extra pain remains mostly in my back, neck and shoulders. I fortunately had five days after I moved, before the keys were due in at the end of the month, so could recoup a little before heading back. It did not take too long as I had already done all of the kitchen cupboards, bathroom and window ledges, it was just a sweep and mop left to do. But too strenuous. I have this thing about leaving a place clean enough to move into. In Germany, properties are to be left pretty much spotless if they were rented.

I managed with quite a bit of ingenuity to arrange the kitchen so that I can manage in it and it involves not leaving any small electricals out and being much tidier. One woman I hear, turned this flat down because she is a baker and said she could never manage in it. I keep my new single crockery set, in the cupboard and got rid of most of the rest apart from a couple in my sideboard if I do have a guest. My belongings were not damaged at all thankfully. Hope all goes well with the allotment! I have an area of them besides my complex.

Things have really changed personally as I see now just how much feeling unsafe where I was had affected me, giving me extra anxiety, and now I am relaxing much more. It was an instinct thing I think, and I had a deep down feeling of wanting to get away. I feel very very safe now and there are only a few people on my top floor.

Also there was a mold problem before and it is dry as a bone here. The sound insulation is the best I have known in a UK social housing property (they had the same in Germany where I lived for 2 years) being concrete blocks, and you don't hear your neighbours. I find that wonderful and also lets my body relax. Having neurological problems since having mercury poisoning, over my whole life, has caused more problems than I thought. I now have peace and quiet!

I had a trip to the laundry the other day and was pleased to see that perfumes are not used in the drier. It worked out well. The industrial appliances were very good. Loving it more and more in my new home.

Last edited:

brenda

@mermaid I still have a lot to sort out like the bedroom curtain pole once I find a supplier of a toxin free blackout blind and order. Also i made some mistakes and threw out more than I should and have had to buy a flatpack open metal wardrobe. I was not able to think very well when it was all going on and gave someone far too much of my stuff, having an obsession to get rid. My computer needs to be on the other side of the room and I cannot work out which cables I need but hopefully will solve that today. The flooring took so much time. My bookshelves are now full and look great.

Emmarose47

@Emmarose47 thinking of you this week as you go into hospital. Is that for an operation? How are you likely to be afterwards? That sounds like a lot to cope with if you have to leave the flat in October.

Has there been any movement on any of the over 50s places? Good to hear that you will get decent support on the move when it comes.

Edit note: Just read your other thread on why you are needing to go in this week. I hope they are gentle with you - I know how the NHS are with people with ME. Hoping it goes as well as possible for you and that your mind can be put at rest on this score at least. xx
Hi @mermaid
Thank u for your kind reply ...
It all pretty crazy and I'm working to just keep surrendering .
I needed to postpone the Gynae proceedure as they also want me to go in for pre op assessment . I'm still in flare up from last going 1 mth ago .
Pre op is booked for next wk and the inpatient proceedure mid Oct .
Can't see any of it being able to happen if I need to be available to view a potential property and then move .
So wish the m.e CFS would go on holiday for a while let me get on and get sorted ... But as we know that's v wishful thinking .
I need to adhere to my body and can only adhere to its needs .
I so wish I didn't have to push to do one of the things which is likely the move over the health and put myself in another long flare .
Then of course there is always the risk of not getting back to the same baseline .

Horrible situation .

I've found the NHS more understanding than the council re housing . That's a whole battle to get heard on physical health .
My advocate is away until the 19th another obstacle !!! Yay !!!

Love it wonder if I'll get some more obstacles ...I'm sure I will 😁

lenora

Face it,@Emmarose47, you're being tested for sure. Seriously though, I do hope things will get easier for you.

I know you'll be glad to just have it all behind you and if you have an allotment, you can look forward to spring planting and perhaps meeting others. Wow! October is just a month away. At least you can sit near one.

Best wishes to all of you @Emmarose47, @brenda and @mermaid. I hope you'll soon be settled and happier in your new surroundings.

@Judee is great about keeping the names of things, finds links, etc., and I know some gentleman recently posted about a great air purifier on here. Believe it or not, I did pay attention and wrote the name down, only to be unable to find it anywhere.....@Judee? Any answers? I hope you're doing OK (not great, I understand) as well. Yours, Lenora

Judee

@Judee is great about keeping the names of things, finds links, etc., and I know some gentleman recently posted about a great air purifier on here. Believe it or not, I did pay attention and wrote the name down, only to be unable to find it anywhere.....@Judee? Any answers? I hope you're doing OK (not great, I understand) as well. Yours, Lenora

I'm so sorry that I didn't respond. I only saw this a few days ago.

I posted about my kind in this thread but there may be other suggestions there as well: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/smell.87831/#post-2400816

(Keep in mind mine can be loud on the turbo setting but the other settings don't seem bad though. Also it does seem to make the room feel more chill in the colder months.)

Here are a couple more older threads but maybe with some later posts. Hope you can find it again:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/air-purifiers.24051/post-2304599
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/best-air-purifier.61364/post-997735

Last edited:

lenora

Hello @Judee.....I was almost ready to fire you! :) However, you'd really be missed and are just plain too nice.

Thanks for the info....I've found the air purifiers to be most useful. My allergies are a far cry from perfect, but I do notice a considerable difference between the inside and outside air. Every little thing helps....my newest one is quite small and the filter doesn't have to be changed nearly as often. A big A+. Take good care....how are the leaves looking? Too early, isn't it? Yours, Lenora