• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Most accurate lyme test

zzz0r

Could we have a discussion regarding which test is the most accurate test for lyme disease and coinfections?

Please share opinions and experiences

I would like to know this too. Hope someone with expertise can provide us with an answer. I have been taking allimed 3 teaspoons a day though and no herx, so I wonder is that significant.

JES

Anyone with an opinion or experience to share?

Tickplex (coming soon to selected countries and available at ArminLabs):

"Our technology is intended to tests for both early and late Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases. Our tests facilitate healthcare providers to test up to 20 tick-borne disease microbes against multiple antibody types that aids in pinpointing not only the causative agent for a patient’s illness but also the stage of illness, thus our tests are a multiplex and multi-functional diagnostic kits."

duncan

@Hip, that sounds about half right. :)

I swear, over the years I have found when it come to treating - or trying to treat - no one has more guts than @Hip .@Hip and @halcyon have taught me more than I care to admit that bias is bias. Their concept as to the cause of ME/CFS for at least a large subset is smart and undeniable.

Lyme is tough. The only true 100% test is a culture. That is unwieldy and very expensive outside of a biopsy of a bullseye. It just won't work most of the time. The majority of other tests are either indirect or partial tests like PCRs.

PCRs are nice, but not very sensitive. Say about one in five may prove accurate, depending.

The other major tests involve immune responses, such as antibodies or cytokines. There are polemics involved with both.

Ultimately, preferences come into play.

I think they all play a role since a Borrelia diagnosis is such an amorphous thing. Accordingly, the more information you can get, the better. It gets so complicated. This is not a neat equation.

That being said, I like the western blot, but outside of the CDC's parameters. But the western blot - which usually is tied into a specific strain - may come up short for many reasons. Still, that is my favorite.

I also like the C6 for a baseline, but that only works if it picks up the strain, or the patient's immune system hasn't been compromised.

zzz0r

Thank you for answers. I would also like to hear from people that tried Igenex lab, which particular combination of tests did they use from there? Because they send me a whole leaflet with test combinations

Thinktank

Tickplex (coming soon to selected countries and available at ArminLabs):

"Our technology is intended to tests for both early and late Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases. Our tests facilitate healthcare providers to test up to 20 tick-borne disease microbes against multiple antibody types that aids in pinpointing not only the causative agent for a patient’s illness but also the stage of illness, thus our tests are a multiplex and multi-functional diagnostic kits."

I need to see the tickplex validated first before believing the hype. I'm not going to make the same mistake as with the LTT from armin labs.

Thinktank

Thank you for answers. I would also like to hear from people that tried Igenex lab, which particular combination of tests did they use from there? Because they send me a whole leaflet with test combinations

Not saying it's a bad lab, but they have the reputation of giving false positives. I know of a few people who have been misdiagnosed with lyme disease based on a false positive ELISA from Igenex.

bombsh3ll

I've thought about sending off for a test from Arminlabs but am also concerned about false positives. It seems everyone tests positive from there which is statistically implausible. I have never had any form of Lyme test but became ill 14 months after a large blood transfusion, so would like to rule it out. Looking at forums discussing late stage/neuro Lyme, pretty much all of my symptoms are covered. It would therefore be great to hear from anyone who has tested negative from Arminlabs to be sure that they are not just diagnosing everyone as positive whether they actually have Lyme or not.

@bombsh3ll

Negative tests from Armin labs, that would be an interesting number to see. I know a friend's daughter was tested but she had classic bartonella symptoms, the distinctive skin rash and painful soles of her feet. She's from an area where I was also bitten by and found a tick. If I'd known about Lyme disease then, I would have had the tick tested. Saying that I spent so many summers in Donegal in the long grass I could have been bitten who knows how many times and never noticed.

I know for certain I have mercury poisoning, but it was secondary to achlorhydria and stupidly eating fish 3 times a day for ease of digestion for months on end.

Figuring out the severe dysbiosis and being able to tolerate more betaine HCL would help immeasurably though.

Hip

I know for certain I have mercury poisoning, but it was secondary to achlorhydria and stupidly eating fish 3 times a day for ease of digestion for months on end.

Only a few fish, such as tuna fish, contain high amount of mercury.

Hi @Hip, I realise that, but I found by accident that taking ALA set my brain on fire. It made me really unwell. I'm guessing that was methylmercury (?) unless it's from years of grinding amalgams on all my chewing teeth (and in my sleep), which would be an explanation I'd prefer to be honest. It could reverse a lifetime of weak adrenal function, weak gut, bouts of depression, etc via chelation. That's hope, and it's all I have right now.

I just want to feel well enough to laugh with my kids again. They hug me and tell me they love me and look at me like they want to wish the pain away. I helped a lot of people with mental health problems, brother. I didn't do a bad turn on anyone.

If I get one wish it's to be a happy, healthy dad again. The rest can follow.

Learner1

Only a few fish, such as tuna fish, contain high amount of mercury.
The FDA and EPA say most women and young children should avoid the first four highest-mercury fish below. They’re considering adding the last two to the list. If you are a frequent consumer of any type of fish—24 ounces or more per week—Consumer Reports suggests that you avoid the fish below as well.

Swordfish
Shark
King mackerel
Gulf tilefish
Marlin
Orange roughy

To minimize your mercury intake, limit your consumption of these higher-mercury fish.

Grouper
Chilean sea bass
Bluefish
Halibut
Sablefish (black cod)
Spanish mackerel (Gulf)
Fresh tuna (except skipjack)

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...at-higher-risk-for-mercury-exposure/index.htm

Learner1

Just curious as well, @Hip, do you think the flaxseed oil would work as a good source of Omega 3?
They have different number of chains of fats, and are not interchangeable.

Fish oil and flaxseed oil each provide omega-3 fatty acids, but only fish oil contains the omega-3s EPA and DHA.

Flaxseed oil, on the other hand, contains the omega-3 fatty acid ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) -- a very small percentage of which is converted into EPA and, to a lesser extent, DHA in the body.

For this reason, it may be useful as a dietary supplement for people who are not getting EPA or DHA from fish/marine oils, however, because such small amounts are converted, it will not provide the clinical benefits shown for oils containing EPA and DHA.

Hip

I think we should try to keep this thread on topic: Lyme testing.

Art Vandelay

I had a positive IgM western blot from Igenex and equivocal positive ELISA. This was followed up with a positive IgM western blot from a government-approved test from a local lab here in Australia.

From what I've seen anecdotally on local Lyme groups, plenty of people here have had negative results with both Igenex and Arminlabs.

Last edited: