• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mosquito bites - coconut oil

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Mosquito bites seem to be affecting me worse - I have found that putting coconut oil on them REALLY helps - takes away the worst part of the itch

glen

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Glen

You're a live saver (almost).

Tea tree oil is reputed to work as well but I'm out of that.

I do have coconut oil handy though.

Thanks for this.

BTW - Do you find that insect bites makes you really sick - rather than just being a nuisance?

Unfortunately any insect bite leaves me with nausea, the trots and symptom flares. Quite different to pre ME.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Have you tried Tiger Balm? I find that fantastic, it seems to make them heal much faster and the smell also repels additional bites, so you get a 2-in-1 with it.

Marco, it sounds as though you may have mosquito bite allergy. Apparently this is common among people with AIDS and other immunodeficiencies.

IntuneJune

Love that coconut oil. I am using it right now on eczema that cropped up on my palms. It helps.

Also, I started drinking coconut water, it feels soothing to my sensitive GI system.

June

Tammie

so good to know!!! I tend to get really bad reactions from bites and so far have not found any kind of repellent I can use (bc of severe MCS), so this is definitely helpful

though I would prefer to avoid them altogether!

not to hijak the thread, but since it's sort of the same subject, does anyone have any good & completely fragrance free (even free of natural fragrances like lemon grass and chamomile) repellents?

Athene

ihateticks.me
Tammie,
I think it is the smell that drives them away. Natural ones I have found great are tiger balm, which smells of camphor and various other powerful pongs but all totally natural, and geranium oil mixed with lavender oil, which has a really nice smell but again, it is perfume.
The only repellent that doesn't rely on smell is a type of bracelet that they sell in Italy for children. I don't know how it works but presumably it must give off some fumes or other.
If you're at home you can get those plug in things that make a noise that we cannot hear but which the mosquitoes find unbearable.

Tammie

Tammie,
I think it is the smell that drives them away. Natural ones I have found great are tiger balm, which smells of camphor and various other powerful pongs but all totally natural, and geranium oil mixed with lavender oil, which has a really nice smell but again, it is perfume.
The only repellent that doesn't rely on smell is a type of bracelet that they sell in Italy for children. I don't know how it works but presumably it must give off some fumes or other.
If you're at home you can get those plug in things that make a noise that we cannot hear but which the mosquitoes find unbearable.

Thanks for the ideas.....I saw that tiger balm had been mentioned, but just saw the part about healing - somehow missed the repellent part)....I think I can still handle that stuff so I may have to try it......unfortunately I really cannot tolerate lavender (though I love the smell)

I wonder if there is any way to obtain one of the bracelets you mentioned form Italy in the US

Athene

ihateticks.me
You could try looking for other types on Amazon because I think there were various brands. Just an idea!

Tammie

I did & they all seem to be similar

I do really appreciate that you are trying to help, though - sorry if I seem to be shooting everything down - I am just extremely sensitive to nearly all scents - natural or not

I will definitely try tiger balm, though - that is one of the very few things that has not caused a reaction

Athene

ihateticks.me
It might be worth trying the tiger balm smeared into a sweat band or something rather than directly onto your skin. Even though you would get the smell anyway, that might reduce how much you actually absorb??? (I don't actuallly know if that would make any difference, but at least you could easily remove it if you realised it was making you ill).
Right, I'll stop with the endless suggestions now!!!
;)

Tammie

It might be worth trying the tiger balm smeared into a sweat band or something rather than directly onto your skin. Even though you would get the smell anyway, that might reduce how much you actually absorb??? (I don't actuallly know if that would make any difference, but at least you could easily remove it if you realised it was making you ill).
Right, I'll stop with the endless suggestions now!!!
;)

I totally appreciate all the suggestions.....including the last one - actually considering that it has been awhile since I have used Tiger Balm, the last suggestion is an excellent one

the next time I am at the store I plan to get soem Tiger balm and try it out