• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Morning and evening physical exercise differentially regulate the autonomic nervous system during nocturnal sleep in humans

Wishful

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00127.2015

I came across this paper and thought it might be of interest to some people here. They found that the time of exercise affected sleep. I know that exertion after 2:30 PM gives me insomnia, so this paper might explain that.

The study involved significant physical exertion by healthy individuals, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that even minor exertion for ME victims might be enough to trigger such changes in sleep. Those of you suffering badly from unexplained sleep problems might consider looking for correlations with what you do during your days.

They should do a followup study using cognitive exertion.