• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondrial Enhancers for ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia Pt IV: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) (Health Rising)

Wayne

I ran across a PubMed article (1964) that shows NAC can significantly reduce blood pressure in only 4 weeks. Too bad more doctors don't prescribe NAC to see if it works, before resorting to blood pressure reducing prescription drugs. My best guess is NAC, along with improved diet and lifestyle changes could control most cases of high blood pressure.

Oral N-acetylcysteine reduces plasma homocysteine concentrations regardless of lipid or smoking status

Design: We evaluated the effect of 4 wk of oral NAC (1.8 g/d) on tHcy (primary endpoint), plasma thiol (cysteine), and intracellular glutathione concentrations as well as on blood pressure. The HYL group had total cholesterol >220 mg/dL or triglycerides >150 mg/dL.

Results: NAC treatment significantly (P = 0.001, multivariate analysis of variance for repeated measures) lowered postabsorptive plasma concentrations of tHcy by -11.7% ± 3.0% (placebo: 4.1% ± 3.6%) while increasing those of cysteine by 28.1% ± 5.7% (placebo: 4.0% ± 3.4%) with no significant impact of hyperlipidemia or smoking. Moreover, NAC significantly decreased systolic (P = 0.003) and diastolic (P = 0.017) blood pressure within all subjects with a significant reduction in diastolic pressure in the HYL group (P = 0.008) but not in the NOL group. An explorative stepwise multiple regression analysis identified 1) post-treatment cysteine as well as 2) pretreatment tHcy and 3) albumin plasma concentrations as being significant contributors to tHcy reduction.

Conclusions: Four weeks of oral NAC treatment significantly decreased plasma tHcy concentrations, irrespective of lipid or smoking status, and lowered systolic blood pressure in both normolipidemic and hyperlipidemic men, with significant diastolic blood pressure reductions in the HYL group only. Increased oral intake of cysteine may therefore be considered for primary or secondary prevention of vascular events with regard to the 2 independent risk factors of hyperhomocysteinemia and arterial hypertension.​