• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

#MillionsMissing need feedback on DC slogans/chants

Groggy Doggy

Hi,

I am updating this post on 5/13/2015 to let you know that I appreciate everyone's help and support with the slogans for the upcoming Washington DC Millions Missing Protest!!! The protest volunteers are in the process of getting them printed. I hope you will see the slogans on the protest pics and videos that will be posted (some may be posted live).

Great teamwork!! I am looking forward to getting your feedback for future protests too!!

:):thumbsup::balloons::hug::star:

I want to align the DC protest slogans, with the 4 updated protest demands. The slogans need to be short and catchy, so they can be used both for chanting and also fit on a sign. I took some previous suggestions and reworked them, to get one slogan for each demand. Please give me your feedback.

PROTEST DEMANDS :

1. Increased Funding and Program Investments

Funding and program investments commensurate with the disease burden

2. Clinical Trials

Clinical trials to secure medical treatments for ME/CFS

3. Accurate Medical Education

Replacement of misinformation with accurate medical education and clinical guidelines

4. A Serious Commitment

HHS leadership, oversight and a serious commitment to urgently address ME/CFS

PROPOSED SLOGANS:

#MillionsMissing Millions Suffering! Decades Gone! Start the Funding!

#MillionsMissing Millions Lack Treatment! Stop the Harm! Start the Research!

#MillionsMissing Millions Misunderstood! End the Ignorance! Start the Education!

#MillionsMissing Millions Waiting! Stop Dismissing! Commit Now!

Last edited:

Keela Too

Sally Burch
This one has the biggest impact in my opinion:

#MillionsMissing Stop the Suffering! Start the Funding!

Everything else spins out from this.

The other 3 I like less as the "Stop" statement sounds accusatory in each. Sure there has been harm, distortion and dismissal - but these sound negative.... To ask that the suffering stop though is different.

And Funding will help everything else... research, education and committment will all be there once funding starts to flow reliably.

So (just my view) I'd stick with just the first slogan. xx

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
How about something like:
Millions missing... millions suffering...
Decades gone... start the funding!

I'm also partial to "We are not imaginary"... but realize that that may not be quite right. :whistle:

Groggy Doggy

This one has the biggest impact in my opinion:

#MillionsMissing Stop the Suffering! Start the Funding!

Everything else spins out from this.

The other 3 I like less as the "Stop" statement sounds accusatory in each. Sure there has been harm, distortion and dismissal - but these sound negative.... To ask that the suffering stop though is different.

And Funding will help everything else... research, education and committment will all be there once funding starts to flow reliably.

So (just my view) I'd stick with just the first slogan. xx
I appreciate your feedback!

Justin30

#MillionsMissing. Left behind by HHS

6 vote(s)

22.2%

HISTORY WILL RECALL. YOU DID NOTHING AT ALL! ME/CFS CLINICAL TRIALS NOW!

11 vote(s)

40.7%

NIH and CDC. ME/CFS WON'T WAIT! ME/CFS MONEY NOW!

3 vote(s)

11.1%

PRETTY SPEECHES CANT SAVE LIVES! ME/CFS FUNDING NOW!

1 vote(s)

3.7%

STOP THE DEBILITATING SUFFERING --- M.E./CFS NEEDS FUNDING NOW !!!

3 vote(s)

11.1%

Stop the Harm! Start the Treatment! Start the Research!!!!

7 vote(s)

25.9%

BELIEVE IN M.E./CFS!!! IT'S A DISEASE NOT BIG FOOT!

3 vote(s)

11.1%

HHS: ME/CFS won't wait! Fund research now!

3 vote(s)

11.1%

HHS: Stop the harm! Start the ME/CFS research!

1 vote(s)

3.7%

#MillionsMissing - Don't let HHS abandonME/CFS!

5 vote(s)

18.5%

#MillionsMissing. We Need Treatment Now!

2 vote(s)

7.4%

HISTORY WILL RECALL. YOU DID NOTHING AT ALL! ME/CFS RESEARCH NOW!

All from PR Members the Poll was on this thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tle-banner-poll-2-banners-will-be-made.44415/

Groggy Doggy

Hi @Justin30

These are good ideas, thanks for sharing. I think your original intent was wording for 2 banners held by your parents to take to the Seattle protest?

I think the DC protest will have the most focus (of US cities) since they are planning the stunning visual display of "missing" shoes. I felt for DC, a coordinated alignment using the #millionsmissing theme along with the protest demands was the best approach (one slogan for each demand) for mass produced literature. Also, at this early stage in gaining awareness for ME, communications may be more educational in nature.

We will have more opportunities for protesting in the future. Hopefully we will get more volunteers and more lead time. And using the ActUp approach, I assume the slogans will be more bold and assertive (and less conservative) in nature. Maybe next go around, we can work together on the slogans? :)

Groggy Doggy

Thanks so much for everyone's help and support with the slogans for the upcoming Washington DC Millions Missing Protest!!! The protest volunteers are in the process of getting them printed. I hope you will see the slogans on the protest pics and videos that will be posted (some may be posted live).

Great teamwork!! I am looking forward to getting your feedback for future protests too!!

Last edited:

Justin30

Thanks so much for everyone's help and support with the slogans for the upcoming Washington DC Millions Missing Protest!!! The protest volunteers are in the process of getting them printed. I hope you will see the slogans on the protest pics and videos that will be posted (some may be posted live).

Great news....

Taking a chapter out of the AIDS campaigns the did not let up...they didnt stop protesting till they got funding....I know we are a unique bunch....that are limited

Further....how I see it we need to gain the support from Lyme, Dysautonomia, MCAS, and Autoimmune groups to help us....like HIV patients did with the Hep C community.

Thanks for your help at @Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy

Great news....

Taking a chapter out of the AIDS campaigns the did not let up...they didnt stop protesting till they got funding....I know we are a unique bunch....that are limited

Further....how I see it we need to gain the support from Lyme, Dysautonomia, MCAS, and Autoimmune groups to help us....like HIV patients did with the Hep C community.

Thanks for your help at @Groggy Doggy

I plan to 'protest til i drop'. (my version of 'shop till you drop'). Yes, it's very difficult for me to focus and contribute; and I don't know how my energy will be after the protest (number of PEM days?). But what is the alternative? Do nothing and hope that someone else will take care of it? No way!!

I think we need to start by partnering with our closest 'cousin' MS. MS gets more funding and a higher percentage of MS folks can work full time vs. ME folks have a much lower percentage and we get less funding.

Justin30

I plan to 'protest til i drop'. (my version of 'shop till you drop'). Yes, it's very difficult for me to focus and contribute; and I don't know how my energy will be after the protest (number of PEM days?). But what is the alternative? Do nothing and hope that someone else will take care of it? No way!!

I think we need to start by partnering with our closest 'cousin' MS. MS gets more funding and a higher percentage of MS folks can work full time vs. ME folks have a much lower percentage and we get less funding.

Thank you...I didnt even think of them...a great group to see if they will help.