• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Microglia Block Seizures

Wishful

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201214192323.htm

Another function for microglia: they constantly 'touch' surrounding nerve cells to reduce hyperexitability. They 'touch' neurons based on activity, focusing their efforts on the most active ones. Since ME affects the immune system, including microglia, what does that mean for us?

Question: are PWME more likely to suffer seizures? Searching the forums showed some members reporting seizures, but I don't know whether that's a different frequency from the general population.

On the flip side: would excessive microglial 'touching' explain mental lethargy? If each 'touch' reduces excitability, that should hamper normal brain activity. Something for the experts to think about.