• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylfolate Lowering Blood Pressure

shannah

Anyone else notice methylfolate lowers your blood pressure? The more I increase, the lower my blood pressure goes.

shannah

My bp has been creeping up the last few years as well. Before starting methylfolate a few weeks ago, my bp would often be around 135/82 just with being mostly bedbound. Whenever I went to the doctor's, he would say it was over 150 but it's always extremely hard on me to go out.

Within 2 weeks of 800 mcg once a day (except for a 3 day period roughly in the middle of that time frame where I increased to 800 mcg 3 x day), bp was 104/64. I increased to 4 doses yesterday and bp this morning was 98/50 so I haven't taken any methylfolate today.

So in my case, methylfolate has a dramatic and quick effect on blood pressure.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Methylfolate increases nitric oxide production in the vascular endothelium and that causes the lowered blood pressure. Other things that increase nitric oxide production are citrulline, arginine, beet root, spinach. I'm taking a beet root supplement and amla (indian gooseberry), both of which increase nitric oxide, and I've been able to reduce my blood pressure meds by half. Now after reading your post I want to increase methylfolate!

Here are some other natural sources of nitric oxide:
http://anabolicmen.com/boost-nitric-oxide-naturally/

ahmo

@CFS_for_19_years I've been struggling to understand the nitric oxide cycle, Martin Pall's NO/ONOO- formulation. He lists Mfolate and several of the other things on the list to increase peroxynitrite scavenging and decrease NO. I am very confused.:confused:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
@CFS_for_19_years I've been struggling to understand the nitric oxide cycle, Martin Pall's NO/ONOO- formulation. He lists Mfolate and several of the other things on the list to increase peroxynitrite scavenging and decrease NO. I am very confused.:confused:

Oh OK, I don't understand the nitric oxide cycle either. Maybe someone else has a better understanding of methylfolate than me and how it all works.

I just read that methylfolate and MethylB12 both increase nitric oxide, among other things.

ahmo

Don't be Sorry!!! My task at present is to UNDERSTAND this!!!:nerd::bang-head: Heading off to your link now.:thumbsup:

...aha, same article as linked above. No wonder I'm confused. :confused: From the comments:
NO is also, HOWEVER, a mediator of inflammation in the liver. This is okay to enhance NO production, when the liver is healthy; they should be strictly limited in cases of an inflammatory response in the liver (hepatitis), which can occur from poor diet (eg high 'bad' fats), too much alcohol, in fact liver function tests are recommended regularly for bbs, esp during hypertrophy, double esp. if anabolics are used.

...Good explanation, NO after all is a free radical.

sillysocks84

@shannah I realize this post is older but I was hoping you could answer some questions. Do you still take methylfolate to control bp? Is it something that can be done indefinitely? If not, how are you dealing with your bp these days?

@dannybex are you doing anything recently to control yours?

@CFS_for_19_years what is your protocol to maintain bp?

Thanks, I hope everyone doesn't mind reopening this thread.

dannybex

Mine still fluctuates -- always higher at the doc's office, lower at home (the 'white coat' syndrome). It doesn't seem to be affected by methylfolate.

I'm just starting to increase my niacin (to lower triglycerides, etc.) so am hoping that will help with BP issues.

shannah

@shannah I realize this post is older but I was hoping you could answer some questions. Do you still take methylfolate to control bp? Is it something that can be done indefinitely? If not, how are you dealing with your bp these days?

@sillysocks84 I'm still doing the methylation protocol. I notice that when I miss a couple of dosages of either the methylfolate or the potassium, my blood pressure and heart rate goes up again.

sillysocks84

Mine still fluctuates -- always higher at the doc's office, lower at home (the 'white coat' syndrome). It doesn't seem to be affected by methylfolate.

I'm just starting to increase my niacin (to lower triglycerides, etc.) so am hoping that will help with BP issues.

I was hoping the high bp in this could be caused and treated the same way. I hope the niacin will work for you and you can report good things soon!

sillysocks84

@sillysocks84 I'm still doing the methylation protocol. I notice that when I miss a couple of dosages of either the methylfolate or the potassium, my blood pressure and heart rate goes up again.

Very interesting. I started this disease with low bp. How high does yours get and how well does methylation seem to control it? Thanks for taking time to answer.

sillysocks84

I also wanted to ask if anyone has considered the NO pathway? It seems some have seen remissions from their symptoms by focusing on it. I will try to provide a link below.

vortex

My blood pressure has been doing the opposite, it keeps goi g up and up and I am not sure what to do, if I stop taking the methylfolate I crash, but if I take it my pressure goes up. I do have triple bhmt homo snps including bhmt-8 I wonder if that is causing it, too much bypass or shortcut. I tried to take dmg to slow it down or clog it up, but had some bad reactions to it. Not sure what else to do

GreenMachineX

Bumping an old thread. I’ve been struggling with BP issues basically my whole adult life. Right now it runs 130’s over 80’s, but I’m seeing a pattern that certain micronutrients are definitely influencing it. What I haven’t figured out is which ones are doing what. I’ve increased my m-folate a few days ago after realizing I’ve been deficient in it and hoping that brings it down, but I’m only taking 500mcg m-folate and 100mcg folinic acid. Should I increase the m-folate more or just see how this plays out at this dosage first? How long does it take for it to influence things like BP or angular cheilitis or anything else?
I’m also pretty sure it’s helping my shoulder impingement by helping my muscles to relax.