• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Question

Wondering if there's anyone here who has done a deep dive with the methylation cycle and can answer this question.

I've found that when I take the right form of B12 and methylfolate, I get a very nice result in the nervous system. These substances get my metabolism working properly. However, I notice that there's a cycle where I will take methylcobalamin and methylfolate feel great for an extended period and then it wears off. Taking more of those substances produces zero effect. However, after a certain amount of time passes (14-24 hours) they will again have a great effect.

I've come to think of this 12-18 period as the "back end" of the methylation cycle and I'm trying to discover if there's something produced as a byproduct when I'm feeling great from the B12+methylfolate (i.e., homocysteine, ammonia, etc...) that then has to be processed. And of course, I'm looking to support and shorten that processing period.

Does anyone have experience with this?

LINE

I will try - Methylation is more than a 1 trick pony, e.g. there are a number of factors to consider. Most posts (not necessarily on PR) tend to make it a simple process. My experience with most attempts is that the body requirements tend to morph. Then after morphing, they can revert back to the original state. I have seen this numerous times.

Pulsing seems to be a legitimate concept in that taking one substance for a prolonged period of time tends to lose its potency. Pulsing would be along the lines of using substance X for a few days then resting for a bit.

The other thing is that there are a number of players in the methylation cycle. For instance, B12 and folate are required but others are required as well. In terms of metabolic pathways, there are a number of players involved (example - the Kreb's cycle which is wildly complex) In that example, you can see all the different players involved, quite a complex flow chart :)

Other players tend to be in the B complex family and in the sulfur containing amino acids such as methionine, taurine and cysteine (NAC). Likely, other nutrients play a role such as magnesium, vitamin D etc. In the B family, choline is a major methyl donor as is B2 and B6 (and the rest of the B family).

Methylation is not a linear process, in other words, it is a dynamic process, so you have to experiment with different nutrients. And this has to be done on a continual basis (I hope that does not intimidate you). I would label it as a chaotic system.

(Edit: I will add that I use a form of Kinesiology (muscle testing) that is controversial in some circles but has been a fantastic tool in identifying specific needs. Anyone who is interested, I will happily explain).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! I did have a breakthrough yesterday. A while back I asked chat GTP to explain the methylation cycle and I used that explanation yesterday to identify that it's not actually the "back end" of the methylation cycle that I was dealing with, but rather the "front end." (though it's just a matter of perspective)

I decided to try supplementing with Methionine - to great effect. It seems that perhaps the conversion of homocystiene back into methionine is the bottleneck I've been experiencing.

For those that are interested here is my "conversation" with Chat GTP about methylation. Note that the AI can get things completely wrong so everything it says has to be double checked.

---------------------------------

Me: Explain the methylation cycle to me step by step
Chat GPT:

The methylation cycle is a biochemical pathway in the body that involves the transfer of methyl groups (-CH3) from one molecule to another. These methyl groups are important for regulating gene expression, producing neurotransmitters, and maintaining overall health. Here is a step-by-step overview of the methylation cycle:

1. Methionine is an amino acid that is obtained from the diet and used to create proteins in the body. It is also the starting point for the methylation cycle. Methionine is converted into S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) through the action of the enzyme methionine adenosyltransferase (MAT).

2. SAMe is a universal methyl donor that can transfer its methyl group to a wide variety of molecules, including DNA, RNA, proteins, and lipids. SAMe donates its methyl group through a process called transmethylation, which is catalyzed by specific enzymes known as methyltransferases.

3. SAMe is converted into S-adenosylhomocysteine (SAH) when it donates its methyl group. SAH is a byproduct of methylation and needs to be removed from the body. The enzyme SAH hydrolase breaks down SAH into homocysteine and adenosine.

4. Homocysteine can be recycled back into methionine through two pathways: the folate pathway and the betaine pathway. In the folate pathway, homocysteine is converted into methionine with the help of folate, vitamin B12, and the enzyme methionine synthase. In the betaine pathway, homocysteine is converted into methionine with the help of betaine and the enzyme betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase.

5. The conversion of homocysteine back into methionine is important for maintaining adequate levels of SAMe, which is necessary for continued methylation. If homocysteine levels become too high, it can lead to health problems, such as cardiovascular disease and cognitive decline.

6. Methylation is a highly regulated process, and its balance is important for overall health. Disruptions in the methylation cycle can lead to a wide variety of health problems, including neurological disorders, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.

In summary, the methylation cycle is a biochemical pathway that involves the transfer of methyl groups from SAMe to a variety of molecules, followed by the breakdown of SAH into homocysteine and adenosine. Homocysteine can then be recycled back into methionine through the folate or betaine pathways, allowing for continued methylation.

Me: List supplements that can assists each step of the methylation pathway
Chat GTP:
There are several nutrients and supplements that can assist with different steps in the methylation cycle. Here is a list of some of the key supplements and nutrients for each step of the methylation pathway:

1. Methionine Synthesis:

- Methionine: This amino acid is a precursor to SAMe and can be obtained from protein-rich foods such as meats, fish, eggs, and dairy products.

2. SAMe Synthesis:

- Vitamin B6: This vitamin is required for the conversion of methionine to SAMe.

- Folate: Folate is needed for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine.

- Vitamin B12: This vitamin is also needed for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine.

- Magnesium: This mineral is involved in the production of SAMe.

- Zinc: Zinc is a cofactor for methionine synthase, which is needed to convert homocysteine to methionine.

3. SAMe Donation:

- SAMe: This is the primary methyl donor in the body and can be taken as a supplement.

4. SAH Breakdown:

- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC): This supplement can help to boost levels of glutathione, a potent antioxidant that can help to detoxify SAH.

5. Homocysteine Conversion:

- Folate: This vitamin is required for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine through the folate cycle.

- Vitamin B12: This vitamin is also required for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine through the folate cycle.

- Trimethylglycine (TMG): TMG is a methyl donor that can assist with the conversion of homocysteine to methionine through the betaine cycle.

- Choline: Choline is a precursor to TMG and can help to support the betaine cycle.

- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): Riboflavin is a cofactor for the enzyme methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR), which is involved in the folate cycle.

- Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (P5P): This is the active form of vitamin B6 and is required for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine through the folate cycle.

It's important to note that individual nutrient needs and supplement requirements can vary based on genetics, health status, and other factors. It's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplements or making significant changes to your diet.

LINE

Good - keep in mind that the cycle can morph which means that methionine (or SAMe) may fit in the slot for a time, then some other nutrient may be needed.

I see strong results with the above but also with B2, B6, choline and pantothenic acid.

LINE

Good tip: B vitamins metabolize quickly meaning that you should notice improvement within 24-48 hours. Of course, these are water soluble which metabolize much quicker than fat soluble such as Vit D, A and E.

If there is a noticeable deficiency, that "container" should fill up quickly thus, you will notice quick improvement. If I don't see rapid improvement, then I would suspect that the container is full.

If you fill up one container, then the others may be draining, this is the morphing concept.

Amino acids typically metabolize quickly as well but I think at a slower pace. Perhaps, 3 to 4 days versus the 1-2 for water soluble vitamins.

Again, you can gauge the levels of the containers based on responses.

If there is a noticeable deficiency, that "container" should fill up quickly thus, you will notice quick improvement. If I don't see rapid improvement, then I would suspect that the container is full.
I thought you might enjoy seeing the graphic in this video, with the "containers":

That's part of a video series I've been working on. I have a theory that people with highly sensitive physiology (about 1/3 of the population) may use up neurotransmitters (due to increased processing or "depth of processing") and so are particularly vulnerable to methylation issues. I developed the "container" concept on my own, so it's great to meet someone else who arrived at the same concept.

And regarding k-testing, that's great you are able to do it. I've never been able to do it successfully.

I'll also add, that for me, I've noticed that in additional to all the B vitamins and such, protein is important for neurotransmitter production.

Mary

Moderator Resource
(Edit: I will add that I use a form of Kinesiology (muscle testing) that is controversial in some circles but has been a fantastic tool in identifying specific needs. Anyone who is interested, I will happily explain).

I've been using muscle testing since the mid-1990's. I strongly believe I would be much worse off right now if I'd never had access to it. It's solved many different mysteries and questions for me. I've been fortunate enough to work with a couple of very knowledgeable chiropractors who do it, and eventually started doing it on my own. But I don't think it's as simple as it looks and urge anyone who's going to try it to learn the basics - e.g., your frame of mind can affect the results. So it's very important to keep your mind as neutral as possible when doing it, not to be wishing or dreading any particular result.

Anyways, I'm glad to see you use it!

LINE

I've been using muscle testing since the mid-1990's. I strongly believe I would be much worse off right now if I'd never had access to it. It's solved many different mysteries and questions for me. I've been fortunate enough to work with a couple of very knowledgeable chiropractors who do it, and eventually started doing it on my own. But I don't think it's as simple as it looks and urge anyone who's going to try it to learn the basics - e.g., your frame of mind can affect the results. So it's very important to keep your mind as neutral as possible when doing it, not to be wishing or dreading any particular result.

Anyways, I'm glad to see you use it!
Funny you mentioned remaining neutral. That is a central concept for me.

LINE

I thought you might enjoy seeing the graphic in this video, with the "containers":

That's part of a video series I've been working on. I have a theory that people with highly sensitive physiology (about 1/3 of the population) may use up neurotransmitters (due to increased processing or "depth of processing") and so are particularly vulnerable to methylation issues. I developed the "container" concept on my own, so it's great to meet someone else who arrived at the same concept.

And regarding k-testing, that's great you are able to do it. I've never been able to do it successfully.
Very good - nice presentation. Now I am reflecting on my videos I made which in comparison, I would rate mine to be a D- :).

I do a modified version of K that is more accurate and easier to do. Willing to share that. I had someone else express an interest, if you or anyone else is interested, maybe we can do a group chat and I can walk you through this.

1gooddog

Good tip: B vitamins metabolize quickly meaning that you should notice improvement within 24-48 hours. Of course, these are water soluble which metabolize much quicker than fat soluble such as Vit D, A and E.

If you fill up one container, then the others may be draining, this is the morphing concept.

Amino acids typically metabolize quickly as well but I think at a slower pace. Perhaps, 3 to 4 days versus the 1-2 for water soluble vitamins.

1gooddog

Regarding B metabolizion: I had problems with sores on my tongue at the tender age of 30. At that time ca. 1980, Adele Davis’ nutrition books were very popular. Per my vitamin research she said Vit B would cure mouth sores. Within 24 hrs they miraculously healed. I still follow her advice.

lelle Davis bo -

LINE

@1gooddog - that is awesome, I cut my teeth on Adelle Davis :) It was her book and specifically, the chapter on Stress that saved me from crippling panic attacks (emergency room visits). It was the only book that addressed adrenal problems and provided a solution. I am grateful for that chapter.

SWAlexander

My input on B12, B9 and B6.

Blood test: May 23

B 12 good.
B 9 below
B 6 low.
Cortisol 3.1
Serotonin to high (depressed and sleepy)

Self-medication:
3 x a week B 9, (Folic acid)
B 6 - all foot with plenty of protein and every day but not too much fat
10 mg hydrocortisone for 10 days. 5 mg after and for 30 days.
Keeping an eye on urine color and smell.

Blood test: Sept 4th 23
B 12 good
B 9 adequate
B 6 normal
Cortisol 4.9
Serotonin Normal

Information about B 6: https://swaresearch.blogspot.com/2023/09/b6-deficiency.html

Last edited:

1gooddog

@1gooddog - that is awesome, I cut my teeth on Adelle Davis :) It was her book and specifically, the chapter on Stress that saved me from crippling panic attacks (emergency room visits). It was the only book that addressed adrenal problems and provided a solution. I am grateful for that chapter. -
-
@1gooddog - that is awesome, I cut my teeth on Adelle Davis :) It was her book and specifically, the chapter on Stress that saved me from crippling panic attacks (emergency room visits). It was the only book that addressed adrenal problems and provided a solution. I am grateful for that chapter.
II do recall a recipe for a flu fighting shake. Friends and family all had a horrible virus that laid them up for days. That recipe protected my family. She also brought up tryptophan as a sleep aid. And probiotics - I bought chewable for my toddlers. She was such a great inspiration in those early days. ',s

LINE

@1gooddog - good things - do you remember the antiviral recipe? Again, the chapter on Stress was maybe 20 pages, I went through that countless times and learned a great deal. It provided a jumping board for me to expand to other adrenal studies.

The adrenals are so critical for health as you know and without healthy adrenals, it makes it harder to recover. Involved in immune function, stress functions (mental, emotional and biological etc.).