• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metafolin vs. Magnafolate?

Hi,

does anybody know from experience if it is worth taking Magnafolate over Metafolin?

I had FolaPro (Metafolin) from merck in my protocol like for 10 yrs. But FolaPro as a product does not seem to be produced anymore.
During research, I stumbled upon the new Magnafolate that exists nowadays.
Some sources (methyl-life.com) claim that this is even the best L-methylfolate available today. But maybe that's only marketing.

So could it be worth changing the type of Methyl?
Can anybody recommend for or against it?

Or going for e.g. "pure Folat 400", which also contains Metafolin and seems to be the replacement of FolaPro?

Thanks for your comments!

Learner1

Hi,

does anybody know from experience if it is worth taking Magnafolate over Metafolin?

I had FolaPro (Metafolin) from merck in my protocol like for 10 yrs. But FolaPro as a product does not seem to be produced anymore.
During research, I stumbled upon the new Magnafolate that exists nowadays.
Some sources (methyl-life.com) claim that this is even the best L-methylfolate available today. But maybe that's only marketing.

So could it be worth changing the type of Methyl?
Can anybody recommend for or against it?

Or going for e.g. "pure Folat 400", which also contains Metafolin and seems to be the replacement of FolaPro?

Thanks for your comments!
Just take a good quality L-5-MTHF. I take 10mg per day of the Thorne Research. 400mcg doesn't go much for me.

It's comparable but what speaks against normal 5-MTHF?

Good question. FolaPro was simply the one advised 10yrs back, and as you know, never change a running system ;)

But apart from that: what is a "good" L-5-MTHF? At least for Metafolin, you know it's good...

Learner1

Good question. FolaPro was simply the one advised 10yrs back, and as you know, never change a running system ;)

But apart from that: what is a "good" L-5-MTHF? At least for Metafolin, you know it's good...
Use a reputable company - Seeking Health, Designs for Health, Thorne Research, Matagenics, Allergy Research, etc. Or a cheap brand who uses a 'name brand' ingredient.

acrosstheveil

i prefer magnafolate over metafolin. methyl-life brand. most positive effects of any methylfolate I've tried and I've tried them all. Thorne was TERRIBLE. which is unusual since I usually love their supplements.