• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mestinon?

rel8ted

I don’t have the energy to start a thread on it right now, but I can PM you. It wasn’t one visit with this doctor—I saw him every few weeks for a few years.

That would be great. I have no idea what to expect & it’s like going on va action to get there, so anything I can learn in advance would be wonderful.

pattismith

I would like to know if anyone has tried Mestinon before?

Did it help symptoms?

Any side effects?

I see Dr. Systrom is a big believer in it and claims good success with his CFS patients.
I tried a small dose and got diplopia….bad trip...:xeyes:

Pearshaped

I tried 10mg once and it made me much much worse.lasted two days.
when I felt better i tried it again.
And same thing happened again.

I guess you'll notice it rather quickly if its in anyway useful (or not)for you.

(I felt worse within 35minutes after taking it.)

I felt even more ill than before after taking it.was not funny at all.

But since it helps for some PwME its probably worth a try..

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I am up to about 22 mg of Mestinon twice a day. I’d like to get to 30 mg but increasing the dose is hard for me—gut issues and headaches though once I get to the new dose it has had a good effect in preventing chronic headaches. I think it is also reducing PEM though the effects are somewhat subtle for me.

I started mestinon at 15 mg once per day, then twice, and now 3 times per day. At first, I felt more fatigue and SO MUCH SWEATING mostly on my face and hands. I've been taking it for 2 weeks-ish and no longer feel tiredness from taking it, but I can say it is slightly helping with the muscle weakness and PEM!! I am still sweating so much on it... But, I am hopeful that once I increase to the 30 mg dosage things will improve even more so in terms of muscle weakness :)

MartinK

Hi all, now Im on 120mg/day (4x30mg of Mestinon), no side effects, no gut problems..BP and hr still the same (normal). But still no improvement. Its a 1 month on Mestinon now.

Do you think it is worth continuing or even increasing the dose? I don't want to take unnecessary risks. I think some had improvements even at a smaller dose...

Hi all, now Im on 120mg/day (4x30mg of Mestinon), no side effects, no gut problems..BP and hr still the same (normal). But still no improvement. Its a 1 month on Mestinon now.

Do you think it is worth continuing or even increasing the dose? I don't want to take unnecessary risks. I think some had improvements even at a smaller dose...

I might try to take it for another month, and then make a decision then. It seems like you're already at the max dose. Mestinon is a weak agent, but I felt a difference almost immediately